1966 Delta 88 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old March 1st, 2009, 03:00 PM

Question 1966 Delta 88 Convertible

Hi Everyone, I have seen, for quite sometime now, a Laurel Mist '66 Olds Delta 88 Convertible listed at Daniel Schmitt Auto in St. Louis. The asking/buy it now price dropped by $6,000 between Dec. '08 and Jan. '09. I notice a few things about the car that don't look quite right. Has anyone out there had an actual,on site,look at that vehicle? I'm looking to buy a '66 Convertible. If anyone out there has seen the car would you kindly pass on any comments? I know there are people out there who do independent inspections. If the car warrants a closer look,than I would certainly be willing to retain an appraiser to give me a definitive assessment. I live a long distance away from St. Louis so I can't just pop around for a look. I'm sure there are many members out there whose opinons and observations would be very helpful to my quest. Best Regards to all
Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:57 AM

I own a few 66's and 2 converts. I looked at the pictures and saw some things of concern. Front bumper is bent. Rear bumper looks dented. Rear chrome finish panel between tailights is broken....a hard part to find in nice shape. Engine recently painted and rubber pcv fitting as well. Battery + cable way too short. Oil fill cap not correct. Delta 88 emblems totally placed wrong on fenders. Most chrome trim is pot metal and pits easily. It is hard to tell condition. Interior looks nice.....hard to tell what paint finish quality is.....no pictures of inside trunk......these cars are plentiful and this one is sort of molested.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:03 AM

A couple of more things....engine HP would be 310 from factory. The interior is vinyl not leather.....seller is dreaming and throwing too much BS in his description and values. My opinion....and 8000.00 dollar car max. These cars have little demand.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:05 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
I own a few 66's and 2 converts. I looked at the pictures and saw some things of concern. Front bumper is bent. Rear bumper looks dented. Rear chrome finish panel between tailights is broken....a hard part to find in nice shape. Engine recently painted and rubber pcv fitting as well. Battery + cable way too short. Oil fill cap not correct. Delta 88 emblems totally placed wrong on fenders. Most chrome trim is pot metal and pits easily. It is hard to tell condition. Interior looks nice.....hard to tell what paint finish quality is.....no pictures of inside trunk......these cars are plentiful and this one is sort of molested.
Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
A couple of more things....engine HP would be 310 from factory. The interior is vinyl not leather.....seller is dreaming and throwing too much BS in his description and values. My opinion....and 8000.00 dollar car max. These cars have little demand.
Thanks very much for your observations about that Convertible. At first glance it does look very nice. I noticed many of the same faults that you did although you spotted a few more that I missed. You saved me some grief my friend had I flown to St. Louis only to be disappointed. Thanks again, I'll keep lookin'.
Old August 28th, 2010, 08:59 PM

Hi my handle 66 oldsman if any body could help me find some parts for my 1966 oldsmobile delta 88 convertible looking for top header bow. rf fender,serats,and top

thanks

Rob