Collectible Automobile Feb 2011 issue..Big Olds '65-66

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Collectible Automobile Feb 2011 issue..Big Olds '65-66

Great story about the full sized 65-66 olds...Expensive Mag but worth it for this article
Old December 4th, 2010, 08:11 AM

Does it mention the Starfire models?
Old December 4th, 2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by jetty6
Does it mention the Starfire models?

Yep...very thorough article 12 pages. A lot of Starfire info and many photos of a '66 Starfire owned by Rick Steiner
Old December 4th, 2010, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the fyi, I will pick up a copy!
Old December 4th, 2010, 10:51 AM
2 '66 98's

Somebody posted about this a couple of weeks ago. I asked where he found this mag but got no answer. Can someone help me out here. Since I am a '66 big car guy, I would very much like to get this. Thanks, Bruce
Old December 4th, 2010, 11:06 AM

I got it at newstand (price $9.99) but found them selling on ebay also

http://cgi.ebay.com/Collectible-Auto...item255f6c60cb

Originally Posted by bigoldscruiser
Somebody posted about this a couple of weeks ago. I asked where he found this mag but got no answer. Can someone help me out here. Since I am a '66 big car guy, I would very much like to get this. Thanks, Bruce
Old December 4th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Registered Abuser

Come on, scan it in. I won't tell.
Old December 4th, 2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Red Delta
Come on, scan it in. I won't tell.
I don't think the people who produce the magazine would be pleased that all their hard work was going to waste because someone could not respect the integrity of the creative output. :twocents:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...size-fans.html
Old December 4th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Oldsdruid

Collectible Automobile is worth the subscription price if you like old cars at all, and they often cover Oldsmobiles. Their articles are impeccably researched and often include factory styling studio and development photos. Mag comes every 2 months.

Now that Cars & Parts has become a mashup of Amos Publishing's former titles, CA is my best bet for an old car magazine.
Old December 4th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by Diego
I don't think the people who produce the magazine would be pleased that all their hard work was going to waste because someone could not respect the integrity of the creative output. :twocents:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...size-fans.html
Thank you for being my moral compass. Of course, I would never seriously ask that anyone post any copyrighted material, that's why I added the green toothy grin guy at the end of my post.
Old December 4th, 2010, 04:47 PM

I also wanted to advise Rocketraider that the current issue of Hemmings Classic Car profiles the 1969 Toronado! Great article -- and great car.

Regarding the CA article, I've always loved the '65/'66 big Oldsmobile. I wish there had been more photos of the '65 Jestar I's and Starfires. A Dynamic 88 or Delta 88 2-door hardtop would also have been appreciated. I don't think the magazine tried quite hard enough to track down owners of excellent examples of these cars, but it's a fine article nonetheless.
Old December 4th, 2010, 07:20 PM
Oldsdruid

I have that too Brian- I sometimes tend to forget about HCC, but I get it too, along with the AACA magazine. I regret Amos felt they had to consolidate all their titles to survive though- based on that first issue, looks like it's gonna be heavy on advertising and not so much on content.

RE: finding excellent examples, the big cars are way overshadowed by the intermediates and performance cars even at big OCA meets. WMachines could have put them on to an outstanding 65 J-I (4-speed no less) and Eileen Hull and Jim Marchione also have fantastic 66 Starfires. Speaking of which, noticed Eileen has one of hers up for sale in the last JWO. I ought to, but I ought not to.

All of us have been in that position, esp since I'm kinda holding out for a nice 67-8 Thunderbird for my next collector car. Those are few and far between too- and when you find one it's usually all the way across the country.
Old December 4th, 2010, 09:04 PM
"me somebody" site member

Thanks for the heads up; will be looking to purchase that issue for sure. I had a subscription to CA for several years, always enjoyed it, but dropped it because, frankly, they start to ACCUMULATE. I have since decided only to buy issues with something that strikes my interest...and the current issue surely does.
Old December 5th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
frankly, they start to ACCUMULATE
That's called "National Geographic Syndrome" .

I hang on to the CA, HCC and Antique Automobile, but I've gotten to where everything else either goes in the recycle bins or recycles to someone else to read. My cousin likes to have my archaeology magazines, Smithsonian, and Our State (a regional NC magazine) for her B&B guests when I'm done with them. Then after a couple months there, they go to a local assisted living center.

And I don't have quite so many magazines taking up space, and other people get the benefit of reading.
Old December 5th, 2010, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Red Delta
Thank you for being my moral compass. Of course, I would never seriously ask that anyone post any copyrighted material, that's why I added the green toothy grin guy at the end of my post.
Your toothy grin could imply eagerness.

But I'm glad to be of help.
Old December 15th, 2010, 06:59 AM
"me somebody" site member

Got my copy last night (amazing that I waited so long). I thought it was well written, and I only noted one glaring error; it seemed to suggest that the 3 speed manual trans ("3 speed syncro", they called it?) became standard on the Starfire in 1966, with the auto or 4 speed becoming optional. I read over that part a couple times, pretty sure that was wrong (as opposed to simply being worded poorly). They suggested that the '66 Starfire was a successor to the '65 Jetstar I, and THAT I tend to agree with, as many of the higher-cost items on the '65 cars were dropped in '66 (such as leather interior and more expensive carpeting with "sewn-in" floor mats).

A friend here mentioned before I read it that CA tended to use the term "Jetstar" a bit too loosely, not specifying whether they meant J1 or J88, but I wasn't sure that was the case...when discussing one car or the other, they may have reverted to simply "Jetstar" on occasion in order not to be repetitive, but I always knew (based on the context of the paragraph) which series car they were talking about.