Extreme Traction issues

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2008, 06:44 PM

Extreme Traction issues

Just like the title says:

I managed to hook up somewhat 2 weeks ago (only spun for 10 feet) and the car ran 15.66. Before the tranny rebuild it ran 15.51.

I put new rear tires on BFG Radial T/A's 235/60/14's and I have a 2000 stall convertor, with a shift kit. I launch at 1800, 1600, 1300, 1200, 1100, and 1000 doing decent burnouts to no burnouts all with the same result.

I spin the tires past the 60 foot mark and the car is running in the high 16's low 17's due to this. I can easily turn the motor upto 5 grand and the tranny shifts BEFORE getting traction!!!

I usually run the car with 1/4 tank of gas, but the week I hooked up a little bit better, I had between 1/2 and 1/4 tank. I also run with no spare or jack, and between 20 and 25 PSI in the rear tires

After racing, I put in 18.2 gallons of gas. Gas weighs 6 lbs a gallon, so the car gained 108 lbs. and I know the jack and spare adds 50 lbs to the car because I weighed it before with the jack in and out of the car.

I DO NOT want to put drag radials or slicks on the car. I run a street class, plus I still have the stock 26 spline axle in the car.

Will adding the 158 lbs help my launch? It seems to help me from a dead stop getting on the highway with full air pressure. I spun with a 1900 launch, but not as bad as I do at the track. I'm the only one spinning like this
Old May 26th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I know you don't want to hear this but...
they make street class legal slicks

On a delta I'd go for around 28'' tall on the tires.

Last edited by J-(Chicago); May 26th, 2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old May 27th, 2008, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
........ they make street class legal slicks ........

60 ft was 2 tenths quicker, than my T/As. No difference, in driveability, on the street/highway.

My bias plys leave harder, but my Coupes are setup different.

Norm
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:55 AM

Yeah...the full tank should help a bit. But those TA's aren't meant for the track.
I feel like sometimes I have a harder time at the track if I notice I'm not hookin' at all on the street. Tracks can seem greasy.

Are you matting it once you launch? Have you tried to pedal it?
Or 'roll into the throttle'. You have to find that sweet spot between
just slightly spinning and roasting them.

What car is this and how is your suspension set up?
I rebuilt my car with stiff PST components once and it sucked at the track.
No weight transfer at all. Is this a limited slip or open rear?

2X Drag radials.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:23 PM

Usually when I launch I footbrake it until I'm ready to go and then I slip my left foot of the brake and push down on the gas.

I thought about that "ease into the throttle" way, but I don't think it's going to be as consistant as I want it to be. When the car hooks, it's very consistant.

I have one "Comp TA" tire at home. It was the only good tire that came with those rally rims I got a while back. I'm thinking about picking up a used tire for about $20 and mounting them back on the rally rims and putting the COMP tire on the right rear.

With doing that, I'm still afraid of breaking the small 7.5, 26 spline, axle. I've been reading that sometimes they last forever, othertimes they can break just backing out of the driveway. Would it benafit me to get one of those "girdle" rear end covers? I don't have the money to pay for a broken axle
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I have shattered a 7.5 rear end before. it wasn't too pretty. I sheared off all but 5 or so teeth on the pinion gear, and what's worse, the force fired one of the loose teeth through the bottom of the pumpkin and peed 80-90 all over the place.
However, my friend Don has been running 12's with a 3.73 7.5'' all season without issue.
As long as it is set up properly, it should last you for what you are doing with it.

Get a mini spool for it, and some P235/60R/15 Mickey Thompson ET street Radials in back, 28''tall and It will stick the best it can.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

And another shiny picture to go with Norm's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
et_street_radial_b.jpg (16.9 KB, 53 views)
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:31 PM

If tires aren't in the immediate future, work on your weight transfer.
Get an air bag for the right rear and preload the suspension.
Use the weight you have to push down on where you need it.
Old May 30th, 2008, 02:45 PM

Talking

Sorry if I drool!

I just picked up a Series 3 limited slip diffential, remanfactored with new clutches.

I can put my 3.42's on this, so I don't have to buy 3.08's like all the series 2 carriers I've seen out there.

Also going to get one of those "girdle" rear end covers to keep everything strong.

It's better to have 175 ft/lbs to each wheel instead of 350 to one (of course that's just a guess at the crank anyway)