Jack location in trunk?

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2011, 10:06 PM

Jack location in trunk?

When I bought my 63 Dynamic 88 Holiday, the PO had the jack laying in the trunk. Is there any documentation to show where the jack stores in the trunk? I know the base goes up against the spare tire but I can't figure out where the actual jack and crowbar go. I see the mount on the rear right side shelf, but can't figure out how the jigsaw puzzle goes together . . .
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:24 AM
1974 DELTA 88

Here is how it's all mounted in my 74, and the trunk lid label. Mine were just thrown in the trunk along with the tire when I got it home also. Hope these help with your 63, not sure if it's the same.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF2559.JPG (134.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCF2560.JPG (149.1 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by AZ455; October 9th, 2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old October 9th, 2011, 02:52 PM

Huh, I'll have to look and see if that is how it goes but I don't think it does. The base on mine actually holds the tire on the side and there is some kind of hold down on a shelf toward the rear of the trunk that looks like it holds the jack, but it doesn't fit with the lever attached and the crowbar won't fit with it either.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by 1PDQ55
Huh, I'll have to look and see if that is how it goes but I don't think it does. The base on mine actually holds the tire on the side and there is some kind of hold down on a shelf toward the rear of the trunk that looks like it holds the jack, but it doesn't fit with the lever attached and the crowbar won't fit with it either.
That is where the jack goes. You're supposed to disconnect the bumper adaptor from the jack and then slide it over the jack shaft. The top of the adaptor should go towards the jacking mechanism and fit somewhat flush, with the adaptor for the tire iron on the opposite side of the bumper adaptor. The end of the jack with the mechanism and adaptor goes towards the right of the car, resting on the little shelf on the side, while the other end goes behind the trunk latch bracket.
As for the tire iron, the prying end can be nuzzled under the bumper adaptor, with the wrench end turned up and resting on the inner tail light panel. The main shaft should be parallel to the jack shaft.
After that, secure the two down firmly with the bracket that you hopefully have. it will be progressively bent to a 90 degree angle, with one end having a closed perpendicular slot and the other looking like a two-pronged fork. The slot mates up to a tab on the hold-down, and the two forks will flank the threaded end of said hold-down. Slip the washer on, then the wing nut, and you're good to go.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:53 PM

Thanks Jetstar!! Could you possibly post a picture of how it goes? I think I understand what you are saying and I think I tried every configuration possible with no luck. Maybe a picture would clear up part of the puzzle! You think Oldsmobile would have put that picture under the trunk instead of how to actually use it
Old October 23rd, 2011, 10:32 PM
Oldsdruid

The jack mast goes at the right rear of the trunk on the shelf between trunk well and taillight panel.

There are rubber sleeves that hold the lugwrench to the jack mast in stowed position. Also a clamp that fits over the mast and is held to trunk floor and stud with a wing nut. The bumper hook fits up next to the spare tire on its shelf and the jack base is angled against the spare tire and the "stepped" bracket on the spare tire shelf. Again, a stud and wing nut hold it in place against the spare tire.

Jack stowage is illustrated on the decal in the trunk. If you don't have it, Fusick or Dr. Decal can fix you up.
Old October 24th, 2011, 08:39 PM

I've got the base in the right place with the wing nut, and I've got the hold down for the mast. What I don't have is the sticker showing the stowage (I have one for using the jack and one for taking the hubcaps off). What secures the hook and does it go on the drivers side?