Look - another newbie!

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2008, 11:03 PM

Look - another newbie!

Hi!

Bought a 66 Delta88 off CL a few weeks ago.

white w/black vinyl top
425 high-compression 2bbl
automatic on column
no air
working radio and clock!
Paid $775 and it runs pretty well. put on new tires, usual tune-up parts and I have a rebuild kit for the Rochester 2G. checked out brakes from front to back and they are actually in good shape. Stops OK and no pulling, though I REALLY keep my distance from everybody.

Looking to find some exhaust manifolds off a dual exhaust vehicle to facilitate, well - a dual exhaust system. Already have the Cherry Bombs!!! Also have some questions about some features of the car:

1) tiny green light in the dash under the clock
2) gizmo on the back of the intake manifold with wiring that runs down to the tranny. Electric kickdown or something?

The frame is crusty but doesn't appear to have any weak spots. Oddly enough, the floorpans are totally solid. Same cannot be said for all fenders and rockers. I'll get some pix up soon.
Old August 4th, 2008, 11:05 PM

Smile And it's a 2-door

see above
Old August 5th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Oldsdruid

I think the green light you're referring to is the ashtray lamp. Should be another one on the RH side of dash above the other ashtray. It's a "helper" light to help you find it in the dark. Another Oldsmobile thing- I don't know of any other carmaker that used them. My 83 Cruiser wagon has it.

These also have a green (usually faded to yellow) "COLD" light in the gas gauge cluster and require a correct temp sending unit to function. If it's been replaced I'd almost bet it had the wrong one installed and only operates the "HOT" light.

The gizmo at back of the intake serves two purposes. It's the kickdown switch for the Turbo 400, and also operates the Switch-Pitch torque converter. The stator vanes actually change angle depending on idle or high speed. It allows the trans to idle in gear without creeping, and then changes angle for better performance.

RH manifold is common to single and dual exhaust cars. The LH dual-specific manifold is available reproduction from Thornton.
Old August 5th, 2008, 06:06 AM

Welcome! We look forward to seeing pictures!
Old August 5th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Purveyor of Polyurethane

I'm also working on a 66 Delta 88 & have extra misc. parts laying around if you need anything. I'm also looking for a few parts, so if you run across any good chrome that you don't need, let me know.

I have the 4 barrel Q-jet that came off of mine... I would seriously recommend going to a 4 barrel, especially if you are going to go through the effort to put dual exhaust on it. Mine probably needs a rebuild. The car was running when I took it off to overhaul the engine, but not running well.

I got the left side manifold from thornton, not cheap, but worked out great. They list one on ebay from time to time, you might be able to save a few bucks that way.

Get some pics up if you can, I've not seen many of these cars around.
Old August 5th, 2008, 02:58 PM

66 Delta 88 pix

here you go. Tried to crop them to save some space...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
102_1868.jpg (31.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg
102_1869.jpg (49.3 KB, 44 views)
Old August 6th, 2008, 06:16 AM

Cool car!
Old August 6th, 2008, 04:38 PM

I think she's a keeper

Thanks! Looks pretty good with new P225/70R14 Radial T/A's on stock rims (the hubcaps are ugly - sorry!!!!) I bought the car with the idea that I would get her running right, screw around with it for a few months and sell it in the spring, but you know - you don't see these around all the time anymore and hell - I can't shell out $12,000 for a '67 GTO in the same condition, and I'll NEVER have enough for my TRUE love - a '68/'69 H/O.

So unless the frame gives out I think I'll just hang onto her and get her right slowly. I have had the frame looked at by a friend of mine who has built a gajillion bikes and cars and he says the frames OK. Lotsa crusty flaky stuff that could be wire wheeled off in a couple days and then covered with a bunch of POR-15.

I also like the idea of having something that isn't made anymore (shoulda got rid of Saturn instead). So thanks for the compliment and hope to be part of this site for awhile. I'll have LOTS of questions!!!!!!
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:21 PM

Rebuilt the carb yesterday. Still got a low-end bog, but that's due to some sloppy throttle linkage more than anything. Maybe need to replace a bushing or something. Got rid of the vacuum leaks with the new gaskets and that 2bbl howls when you get into it at highway speeds. There's definitely some potential there. I think this car was taken care of pretty well of during it's 76K miles before I got it. My Thornton dual manifold is on its way ($170 on eBay instead of $229 on their site). Hopefully will locate a 4bbl intake and carb next spring. But immediately next is a starter.

Thanks for reading!
Old September 9th, 2008, 12:30 AM

Looks good, and welcome
Old September 9th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Past Administrator

Congratulations on you new acquisition, you are now officially an Olds Nut. Welcome to our site.