Reverse light switch on 85 Delta

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2013, 09:27 AM

Reverse light switch on 85 Delta

Hi all,

I have an issue with my reverse lights only coming on when I sort of jiggle the shifter between P and R (but if I just shift and leave in R the lights generally don't come on at all-bulbs are new by the way).

Does that sound like the switch could be bad? If so, does anyone here know where it is/exactly how to get it to so I can replace?
Old March 29th, 2013, 09:48 AM

It's on top of the steering column near the ignition switch. You can " adjust " the switch by moving the lever thru it's full range. I had to do that to one of my cars about once a week, not a real fix but I never felt it that urgent to bother replacing it.
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by frankr442
It's on top of the steering column near the ignition switch. You can " adjust " the switch by moving the lever thru it's full range. I had to do that to one of my cars about once a week, not a real fix but I never felt it that urgent to bother replacing it.
Thank you. This will make me sound ignorant but can you give me any detail about exactly how to get access to the switch.
Old March 30th, 2013, 05:51 AM

b/u light switch

its possible your shift linkage is sloppy,there are plastic bushings and a spring that helps locate the linkage in one bushing.some may be worn or missing.the switch is on top side of column above the brake pedal and has slotted holes to adjust it with.jc
Old March 30th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

The switch is located on the top side of the steering column, near the floor. You pretty much need to get on the floor and get your head under the dash to see it. The switch on these cars is "self adjusting" - the main body of the switch snaps into a holder that has a ratchet mechanism so the two parts can move relative to one another. You can readjust it by putting the shifter in neutral and pushing the main body of the switch as far as it will go towards the passenger side of the car. Now shift into PARK and the switch will ratchet into place. If this doesn't solve the problem, and the linkage is in good shape as described above, you need to replace the switch.
Old March 30th, 2013, 07:19 AM

To change the switch you'll have to remove the trim panel below the column. On a column shift car you should see a thin cable clipped to the shift bowl which moves the indicator, un-clip it. Remove two large bolts on the column bracket and carefully lower the column, watching for all connected wires. It's been 2 or 3 years since I swapped the column in my 85 cutlass, and I've never had to change one of these, but I think I remember the switch just snaps into the tube. The other connector (with purple wires) is for the neutral safety switch portion of the switch.
Old March 30th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by frankr442
It's been 2 or 3 years since I swapped the column in my 85 cutlass, and I've never had to change one of these, but I think I remember the switch just snaps into the tube.
The O.P.'s car is a D88, not a Cutlass (which is why this thread is in the Eighty Eight sub-forum). When I changed the switch on my Custom Cruiser, I did not need to drop the column. Yes, it does just snap into the tube. If it needs to be replaced, put the shifter in neutral first.

The other connector (with purple wires) is for the neutral safety switch portion of the switch.
Nope, sorry. Since the late 1970s, GM has used a mechanical interlock in place of the NSS. The steering column is designed such that there is a ring that blocks the key from turning unless the column internal shift tube is in the PARK or NEUTRAL position. The second set of terminals on the backup lamp switch provides a signal to the ECU to tell the computer when the car is in PARK or NEUTRAL. This is used to control idle speed. Those wires are not connected to the starter circuit in any way.
Old March 30th, 2013, 12:31 PM

I do believe I stand corrected regarding the neutral safety aspect of the switch. I'm at work away from my service manuals. I wanted to look at the switch before I posted so I called up an illustration in the AC Delco catalog (D2286A Neutral Safety Switch is what they called it). So I had NSS in my head, and wanting to help the OP any way I could I thought he might wonder what the other wires were for. Sorry for giving out bad info. I did know we were dealing with a Delta, only mentioned the Cutlass in conversation to say it's been a few years since I've actually worked on a column, didn't mean to confuse the issue further. Good point mentioned above regarding sloppy shift linkage.
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The switch is located on the top side of the steering column, near the floor. You pretty much need to get on the floor and get your head under the dash to see it. The switch on these cars is "self adjusting" - the main body of the switch snaps into a holder that has a ratchet mechanism so the two parts can move relative to one another. You can readjust it by putting the shifter in neutral and pushing the main body of the switch as far as it will go towards the passenger side of the car. Now shift into PARK and the switch will ratchet into place. If this doesn't solve the problem, and the linkage is in good shape as described above, you need to replace the switch.
Thank you. I'll get in there next weekend.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:45 PM

Would it be possible to get a picture of exactly what under there is the reverse switch? I see a lot going on and unsure of what is what...
Old May 20th, 2013, 03:39 PM

Thumbs up

Finally got to it today. Worked like a charm. Thanks, Joe
Old May 21st, 2013, 06:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by delta fog
Finally got to it today. Worked like a charm. Thanks, Joe
Glad to help. Thanks for the follow-up.