1969 N34 steering wheel wiring.

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2024, 05:42 PM
1969 442

1969 N34 steering wheel wiring.

Hey guys, I purchased a N34 steering wheel and I’m a bit confused on what I need to get the horn wiring to work.

Bear with me because I don’t have a ton of pictures handy. But when I pulled my old steering wheel off, I installed the N34 and I see I have a tube that comes out where the horn wire goes. It’s just a tube. And on the wheel I have the lead with the spring on it as seen in the pictures.

do I just put that wire down that hole? What other pieces do I need to retain the wire in there? Or does it just sit in there? I’ve included a picture of my horn lead wire. I don’t have a picture of my steering column, but I have a picture of generic one. I found online that has the same set up and circled below.

thanks!

Old March 5th, 2024, 08:02 PM

I found this post with info for a 1969 steering wheel.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ontact-157383/

Last edited by Fun71; March 5th, 2024 at 08:10 PM.
Old March 6th, 2024, 03:43 AM
1969 442

Originally Posted by Fun71
I found this post with info for a 1969 steering wheel.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ontact-157383/

yeah, I read that post prior to posting mine, but it didn’t really explain to me what exactly I’m missing. Thank you though
Old March 6th, 2024, 04:10 AM
Past Administrator

It looks like you have everything from the two pictures posted. The twisted wires inside the spring with the brass button on their terminus are supposed to be part of the circuit for the ground so the horn will honk when one of the three chrome bars on the steering wheel are depressed. The brass button needs to contact a brass ring on the steering column. The plastic washer above the spring needs to engage into the plastic tube and the center of the steering wheel and keep pressure on the brass ring in the column. There are lots of parts in that circuit and if any of them are not the horn won't work. The contacts on the chrome bars in the wheel, the wires, the spring keeping pressur on the brass button, the brass ring on the column, etc. They are all possible points for the circuit to be broken. It is a complicated setup. Hope this helps you understand what should work so you can find out what isn't working for you. With the steering wheel loose in your lap try holdint the wire/spring/button assembly in the tube while keeping pressure on it and press a chrome bar to see if the horn works. It might take a second person sitting next to you to help out. If the horn works the the circuit is completing properly and all you have ot work on is getting it all together. If it doesn't something other than the wire/spring/button assembly may not be working to complete a ground.

I looked at your photos again just now and see that your three buttons aren't chrome but look to be color but you get the idea...
Old March 6th, 2024, 04:30 AM
1969 442

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
It looks like you have everything from the two pictures posted. The twisted wires inside the spring with the brass button on their terminus are supposed to be part of the circuit for the ground so the horn will honk when one of the three chrome bars on the steering wheel are depressed. The brass button needs to contact a brass ring on the steering column. The plastic washer above the spring needs to engage into the plastic tube and the center of the steering wheel and keep pressure on the brass ring in the column. There are lots of parts in that circuit and if any of them are not the horn won't work. The contacts on the chrome bars in the wheel, the wires, the spring keeping pressur on the brass button, the brass ring on the column, etc. They are all possible points for the circuit to be broken. It is a complicated setup. Hope this helps you understand what should work so you can find out what isn't working for you. With the steering wheel loose in your lap try holdint the wire/spring/button assembly in the tube while keeping pressure on it and press a chrome bar to see if the horn works. It might take a second person sitting next to you to help out. If the horn works the the circuit is completing properly and all you have ot work on is getting it all together. If it doesn't something other than the wire/spring/button assembly may not be working to complete a ground.

I looked at your photos again just now and see that your three buttons aren't chrome but look to be color but you get the idea...
perfect, thank you so much for the detailed explanation that really cleared it up for me. I appreciate it.