68 Cutlass left turn signal does not blink

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2015, 02:42 PM

68 Cutlass left turn signal does not blink

Hello everyone.

My problem is that the left front turn signal did not flash so I started to take off the lens to check the bulb and it worked. Today I got some new flashers and went to change it. Come to find out the PO had the wrong bulb rigged up and it was loose. I replaced it with the right bulb and it lights up now but doesn't flash.

I've read a few other threads but mine worked until I changed the bulb.

Any ideas?
Old June 26th, 2015, 06:31 PM

Sounds like you used the wrong bulb. There are two bulbs that can be made to fit in the parking/turn signal socket. The 1156 or single element bulb can be made to fit if you push and twist just right. You need the 1157, or dual element bulb and it has to be installed correctly. The 1157 bulbs have small offset posts that stick out of the base that are supposed to guide the bulb into the socket and only let it twist into position the right way. If your light socket is too large or mis-shapen enough the bulbs can be installed backwards. The connections on the bulbs are lead, and the connectors in the socket are supposed to be brass. If either is corroded, it can cause the bulb not to work.

Make sure your sockets are not corroded or rusted to the point the bulbs cannot make a good electrical connection and make sure your bulbs are the right type.
Old June 27th, 2015, 10:40 AM

Thanks CJ. The bulb is the 1157 and I did push it in and twist. There is some
Corrosion in the socket. Is there a trick to cleaning this?
Old August 8th, 2015, 09:39 AM

Same issue

I have the same issue. For me, the left front turn signal won't work. Back works fine. I tried the bulb on other side and it blinked so I know it's not the bulb. Right front and rear blink. Left rear blinks. Left and front parking lights work so the wiring and contacts are fine. Only the left front light won't blink when turn signal activated.
Can the flasher relay not work for only one light? Can corrosion cause an issue only with flashing element?
Any ideas?
Old August 8th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by gofastdontcrash
Use a small wire brush to clean the inside of the socket best you can. Then spray the inside of the socket with brake cleaner or electrical contact cleaner and put a dab of dialetric grease in the socket; it will help prevent future corrosion. Pop the bulb back in and reconnect to the harness. It should improve your chances of success a lot.
Old August 8th, 2015, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by gofastdontcrash
To save yourself a trip to the hardware store for a small wire brush, a toothbrush and toothpaste will do wonders for cleaning corrosion. Toothpaste is a very good abrasive. Have a small cup of water to occasionally dip the brush in to keep it moist and keep scrubbing. Then blast it out with brake cleaner, carb cleaner, or electronic cleaner. Get it really clean! Then apply the same dialectric grease.
Old August 9th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

If you own an old car, get yourself one of these lamp socket wire brushes:

The reality is that if one socket is corroded, others are also. Your problem sounds like a bad ground between the bulb and the socket, likely caused by the corrosion you mention.