72 CS passenger P/Window suddenly inop

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2019, 06:23 PM

72 CS passenger P/Window suddenly inop

I have a 72 Supreme 2dr. hardtopn with power windows. I put the windows up last night and this afternoon while going for a drive the wife couldn't lower the passenger window, and it would not work from the driver side control either. All the other windows work just fine, just the passenger is malfunctioning. No noises or attempt to move. It is in the full up position. Can't find anything in the chassis service manual. Is it in another book? Could a motor suddenly fail after using it yesterday and putting it up? 86K on the odometer. Any help appreciated. THANKS
Old September 21st, 2019, 07:24 PM

Well if it doesn't work from two different switches that seems to rule out the switches and a portion of the wiring as the fault. On all my vehicles with power windows that stopped working the failure was the brushes in the motor. Keep in mind that without any troubleshooting data or other information this is just a random internet post.
Old September 21st, 2019, 07:30 PM

Power items that are part of the body, like power windows, seats, and locks, are in the Fisher Body service manual for that year.

These are all over ebay if you don't have one, and you want one because it will have a good trouble diagnosis chart.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1972-Fisher...8AAOSwEvRdJOdg
Old September 22nd, 2019, 06:34 AM
Old(s) Fart

As jaunty noted, body items (doors, windows, power locks, power top, etc, etc) are in the Fisher Body Manual. While it is possible for the motor to go bad, it is far more likely that the cable from the door jam to the door had finally broken due to half a century of flexing. It's also possible that a roller in the window mechanism has gone bad, or any one of a number of problems.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 02:41 PM

As silly as it sounds, smack the door panel a couple times with your open palm. Sometimes that will get intermentant motors started again. Check the door opening pass-thru boot for broken wires inside. After opening/closing the door a few thousand times, the wires flex, get work-hardened, then break.
Old September 22nd, 2019, 02:59 PM

I have found a body manual. I have power to the switch on the right door and used a jumper to the down position on the switch connecter. There is a very slight attempt for the motor to do something, however it does not move. I cannot find where in the book it says how to remove just the motor. It appears it has been done before by someone else as there is some large holes drilled that seem to provide access to three bolts. Is it ok to unhook the wires and the three bolts and the motor comes out or will a bunch of pieces fall out as well?
Old September 22nd, 2019, 07:16 PM

It’s best to remove the complete regulator. Find the wire that goes to the motor, then find the same colors at the window switch (unplug the switch first!!). Try to jumper power there.

There is a coiled spring that keeps tension on the regulator arms, without the spring the windows won’t move smoothly and will jump and chatter in operation. If you remove the motor, I’m not sure if the spring will want to unwind. Not good if your hands happen to be in a bad place!!
Old September 23rd, 2019, 09:01 AM

Ok, found the problem. There is a roller that goes in a track from the regulator arm. It is bad and the rivet is hollowed out and wobbly. Is there a replacement roller anyone makes for this and if so where? I see OPGI has a roller on pg. 176 item #CC28078? Help please. Thanks