91 trofeo ECM

Search this Thread

Old March 3rd, 2008, 05:22 PM

91 trofeo ECM

Does anyone know the steps to remove the ECM under the dash on a 91 Toronado Trofeo? It looks like there may be a lot of the ac/heater ducting etc. that may need to be removed first. Any help on this would greatly be appreciated. Thanks for a great forum!
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:31 PM
ron

ECM removable

Its located under right passenger compartment instrument panel. Disconnect the battery, pull sound insulator panel under dash. Next unplug electrical connectors from the ECM. It's connector is color coded to fit it's receptacle. then remove the ECM retaining nut. Then carefully remove the ECM. Then put it back in reverse order.Make sure you take out the MEM-CAL chip, because you don't get one with the new ECM.If you have any more questions don't hesatate to ask me,I have replaced mine in my 1989 olds tornado tofeo. I been having problems with my dash board cluster, The lights are going on and off, but they are off more than on.If you can help, I been happy. Could it be a loss wire. Hope to hear from you soon.
Old August 28th, 2008, 06:03 AM

You need a Chilton's guide if you are going to remove the ECM. IT would also be a good idea to get a anti-static discharge mat to use when you remove and install the ECM. I replaced the ECM in my 93 Buick LeSaber and the Chilton's manual was invaluable. The anti-static discharge mat also came in handy. It would really suck to buy a $100 ECM and have it blasted by a little spark of static electricity.