Converting '53 Generator to modern alternator?

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2016, 03:57 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Eightbanger
Eric, this is a brand new one wire Alternator from Powermaster, it is designed to look like the stock Generator, it has an internal regulator and only has single wire hookup.
Ah. I hadn't understood that. Sorry.

So, in other words, you chickened out, eh?

I just used the Battery wire that runs from my old regulator to the single post on the new Alternator.
And there's your problem.

Looking at the diagram, you can see that the thick wire from the A (Armature) terminal of the generator connects to the G (Generator) terminal of the regulator, BUT that
the battery (+) terminal connects to the B terminal on the regulator.

So, the B and G terminals on the regulator are not necessarily, or consistently, connected to one another.

You need to move the wire from the generator to the B terminal, along with the battery wire, or just extend and run that wire directly to the generator, entirely bypassing the regulator.

- Eric
Old August 1st, 2016, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
So, in other words, you chickened out, eh? - Eric
Ashamed to say I did lol

I can see what I did wrong now thanks mate, I'll do what you suggested in the morning before work...fingers crossed.
Old August 1st, 2016, 04:14 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Good luck!

- Eric
Old August 2nd, 2016, 12:28 PM

Well if I ever had any luck Eric I must be **** out of it....I ran a hot wire direct from the + side on the battery direct to the post on the Alternator and I'm still not seeing any change on the amp meter and still getting a massive draw when the lights are turned on....so looks like i've bought the only faulty Powermaster Alternator this side of the U.S.
On the plus side the battery reads 14.66 on the Multimeter, which is now my highest reading to date.

Old August 2nd, 2016, 12:37 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You've got 14.66V. That means it's charging! You fixed it!

The alternator current is going directly to the battery through the jumper wire, bypassing the ammeter, which is why the ammeter isn't reading the charge.

Go have a pint, put it all back together, confirm about 14V at the battery, and go for a drive!

- Eric
Old August 2nd, 2016, 01:04 PM

You've got 14.66V. That means it's charging! You fixed it!

The alternator current is going directly to the battery through the jumper wire, bypassing the ammeter, which is why the ammeter isn't reading the charge.

Go have a pint, put it all back together, confirm about 14V at the battery, and go for a drive!

- Eric

Your kidding? I already hit the JD hard in despair mate lol

Then why does the amp-meter show a draw on the power when I turn the lights on?
And how can I get my amp-meter to register that it's charging?

Eric you surely must be sick of this thread by now...
Old August 2nd, 2016, 01:08 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The car's electrical system is connected to the battery through a wire which goes through the ammeter, so that when those devices draw power, the ammeter deflects,
BUT the generator is connected to the battery by that jumper wire, so that its current is charging the battery WITHOUT going through the ammeter, so therefore the ammeter shows the discharge portion of what's happening, but does not show the charge portion.

When the generator is connected through the car's wiring harness again, the ammeter should tell you what is actually happening.

- Eric
Old August 2nd, 2016, 01:26 PM

I am an electronics technologist. I have not answered any of your enquiries because Eric is doing a brilliant job of it, as far as I can tell, and does not need any help from me

This will be all over very soon I predict!
Old August 2nd, 2016, 01:38 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Why, thank you.

Do feel free to add anything you'd like, though - all [accurate] input is always cheerfully accepted!

- Eric
Old August 2nd, 2016, 02:50 PM

The car's electrical system is connected to the battery through a wire which goes through the ammeter, so that when those devices draw power, the ammeter deflects,
BUT the generator is connected to the battery by that jumper wire, so that its current is charging the battery WITHOUT going through the ammeter, so therefore the ammeter shows the discharge portion of what's happening, but does not show the charge portion.

When the generator is connected through the car's wiring harness again, the ammeter should tell you what is actually happening.

- Eric
OK, I get that would you believe, so my final question would be...how do I wire this new alternator up in a way that my ammeter registers the charge? using the old regulator? or is that now defunct?

Originally Posted by GaWajn
I am an electronics technologist. I have not answered any of your enquiries because Eric is doing a brilliant job of it, as far as I can tell, and does not need any help from me

This will be all over very soon I predict!
I had an idea thats what was going on

You know when I move to Maine and becomes Eric's new neighbor, he's going to keep me awake with banging and im going to drive him insane with... where does it go? how do I connect it? it's still not working.......
Old August 2nd, 2016, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Why not remove the wire from the old VR battery connection and connect the alternator to it. Then the amp meter will work right.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 04:53 PM

X2 on Eric's post above ,then I believe you can move on to your low oil pressure problem.
Larry
Old August 2nd, 2016, 05:34 PM

In case you need further clarification ... let me see if I can simplify the problem and solution.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...723_151134.jpg

In the old system, you wanted the generator to produce enough current at a certain voltage to power the car's circuits and recharge the battery.

You want to achieve the same result, using a one wire alternator.

To do this in a simple and straight forward way ... I will suggest the following:

AT THE ALTERNATOR - connect the FAT wire that used to go to the A terminal of the generator ... to the alternator wire. Disregard the smaller wire that used to be connected to the F terminal of the generator.

AT THE REGULATOR - the wire at the F terminal is dead and has no voltage on it, rendering the regulator useless. Since the alternator output is already regulated, this dead F terminal is of no concern. The FAT wire that is connected to the G terminal should be moved and connected to the B terminal instead. This will in effect ... bypass the non functioning regulator and give you regulated voltage and the desired current at the B terminal ... just like the old system was supposed to do.

Inside the regulator, you could cut the internal wire going to the B terminal, if you are worried about any interference, rendering the B terminal into a simple connection stud.

The current gauge should now work as intended.

Since the system is fused against too much current passing through the wires ... you should be protected as before ... even though the alternator is probably capable of producing more current than the generator was.

I hope this helps to clarify the issue for you Nigel.

Last edited by GaWajn; August 3rd, 2016 at 04:10 AM.
Old August 2nd, 2016, 05:35 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

OK, I get that would you believe, so my final question would be...how do I wire this new alternator up in a way that my ammeter registers the charge? using the old regulator? or is that now defunct?
I do not know enough about the function of this regulator to be able to reliably tell you whether you can leave a wire attached or not (though I suspect you can), so my advice would be to use a small screw to connect the wire from the generator that went to the G terminal, to the wire from the battery (and the rest of the car) that went to the B terminal, without connecting either one to the regulator.
If you want to be fancy, you can make a little plastic tab to screw to one of the regulator terminals, and then screw the wires to the tab.
Or, you could remove the regulator, tape up the wire connection, and just stash it.

Stellar could probably tell you (without having to do lengthy research) which regulator terminal you could screw both wires to that wouldn't cause any current leaks.

- Eric
Old August 2nd, 2016, 06:12 PM

On a side note ...

Eric. Are you Eric the car guy on youtube?

Just wondering ...
Old August 2nd, 2016, 07:53 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sorry, I have no YouTube, FaceBook, InstaGram, SnapChat, MySpace, GothOrNot, or any other capital-letter-in-the-middle presence.

I exist only in the real world.

- Eric
Old August 3rd, 2016, 12:09 AM

At new genny (alternator now) connect wire that was on old genny A post (fatter wire) to alt post. You are now done with new genny. This wire goes to reg Gen (center) terminal. REMOVE it from reg. Now connect it to reg Bat post with Bat wire (now 2 wires on the Bat reg terminal) Or remove both wires from reg Bat and Gen terminals and connect them together. Done
Old August 3rd, 2016, 12:14 AM

I do not know enough about the function of this regulator to be able to reliably tell you whether you can leave a wire attached or not (though I suspect you can), so my advice would be to use a small screw to connect the wire from the generator that went to the G terminal, to the wire from the battery (and the rest of the car) that went to the B terminal, without connecting either one to the regulator.
If you want to be fancy, you can make a little plastic tab to screw to one of the regulator terminals, and then screw the wires to the tab.
Or, you could remove the regulator, tape up the wire connection, and just stash it.

Stellar could probably tell you (without having to do lengthy research) which regulator terminal you could screw both wires to that wouldn't cause any current leaks.

- Eric
You have this right Eric. Remove wire from G terminal and connect both wires at reg B terminal or remove both wires and connect them together.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 02:53 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Thanks, Stellar! I try to avoid telling people to do what I think will work if I don't know it'll work!

- Eric
Old August 3rd, 2016, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Why not remove the wire from the old VR battery connection and connect the alternator to it. Then the amp meter will work right.
Are we saying the same thing only differently?

Excuse my ignorance as I don't have a full wiring diagram for his car. Why are you connecting the G terminal to the B terminal. I'm assuming like most gen systems that the remainder of the cars electrical system is connected to the load side of the amp meter. I'm assuming your using the existing G wire to connect to the output of the new alternator
Old August 3rd, 2016, 10:08 AM

Are we saying the same thing only differently?

Excuse my ignorance as I don't have a full wiring diagram for his car. Why are you connecting the G terminal to the B terminal. I'm assuming like most gen systems that the remainder of the cars electrical system is connected to the load side of the amp meter. I'm assuming your using the existing G wire to connect to the output of the new alternator
Yes. Same difference. Yes again. Using G wire from alt to B terminal because it is already there and no new wire will be needed. I see no ignorance, only a mighty smart fellow. I have no full wire diagram either and am under the same assumption. If it(amp meter) was working with the genny it will work now.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 10:27 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Now I'm in suspense wondering if he fixed it.

It should be 6:30 in the UK now - so he should be home from work.

- Eric
Old August 3rd, 2016, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Unless he stopped off at the pub first....
Old August 3rd, 2016, 10:43 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Aye. But just for one pint, y'know.

- Eric
Old August 3rd, 2016, 01:57 PM

Thumbs up

Well I did what other Eric said , because Stellars suggestion had lots of words and things to do (just kidding mate) and connected the Alt wire to the B terminal on the Regulator....and success!!

I like to say that your all a great bunch of blokes and I greatly appreciate all the help you've given me.

Last edited by Eightbanger; August 3rd, 2016 at 04:43 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Way to go... I think the issue with your stock setup is a bad vr. You can play with that system at your leisure.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 02:12 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Fantastic!

Now for a nice drive!

- Eric
Old August 3rd, 2016, 02:13 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I think the issue with your stock setup is a bad vr. You can play with that system at your leisure.
I don't think so.

He got no output when he hot-fielded (well, ground-fielded) it.

Regulator may be bad, too, but I think he's got an open coil somewhere in that generator.

- Eric
Old August 3rd, 2016, 02:17 PM
Administrator

It seemed to act the same way a friends 37 acted,
Old August 3rd, 2016, 02:57 PM

Glad it worked out for you.

I should have kept quiet because I tend to be wordy with my posts, and the other guys on here had you headed in the right direction anyways

Last edited by GaWajn; August 3rd, 2016 at 03:02 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Stellar
At new genny (alternator now) connect wire that was on old genny A post (fatter wire) to alt post. You are now done with new genny. This wire goes to reg Gen (center) terminal. REMOVE it from reg. Now connect it to reg Bat post with Bat wire (now 2 wires on the Bat reg terminal) Or remove both wires from reg Bat and Gen terminals and connect them together. Done
I'll do it this way in the long run as it utilizes the original wiring.
Thank you mate for your help.

Way to go... I think the issue with your stock setup is a bad vr. You can play with that system at your leisure.
Thanks mate

Fantastic!

Now for a nice drive!

- Eric
Taking her to work with me tomorrow.

Originally Posted by GaWajn
Glad it worked out for you.

I should have kept quiet because I tend to be wordy with my posts, and the other guys on here had you headed in the right direction anyways
Absolutely not Stephen, i'm glad of your input anytime long or short.

Last edited by Eightbanger; August 3rd, 2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 10:37 PM

Good job. Glad it works. Eric and Eric had it covered. I'll work on trying to keep posts shorter.
Old August 4th, 2016, 05:55 AM

Congratulations Nigel, now on to the low oil pressure problem.Best of luck, Larry