Don't try this at home boys and girls

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2009, 09:04 PM
car guy

Don't try this at home boys and girls

Well there is no turning back now. Ever since I was a little kid I have had a problem with having to take things apart to see how it was put together. As an adult in my mid 30's I am still just as bad

Over all it was not too hard to get apart. The hardest part was getting the staked motor cover off but I should not have wasted me time taking it off. There is a bronze bushing with a plate welded over it so it can't be removed for plating. It came off pretty easy after I spend time trying things that didn't work. What did work is clamping around the magnetic body with a chain vice grip wrench and clamping the wrench in a vice. I then used a rubber strap wrench to turn the cap when pulling outward and it spun off after getting it going.

2 questions
-what grease should I use for the gears when I put it back together
-if I order a new washer pump does it come with the black plastic cover? Mine was already cracked.

Old January 28th, 2009, 09:35 PM

That looks like the same pile I had on my work bench last summer, the fun parts gettin' 'er back together. I broke that black plastic cap where the arm is, it just fell apart when I touched it lucky I had an old wiper motor I could pull one off of. The pumps I have seen for sale ( on e-bay nos) have the cover, I used a low temp. grease when I reassembled.
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:53 AM

You're not alone Richard; I have taken stuff apart for years just for fun. I remember even tearing down my tricycle when I was 5 or so. I got it all back together before mom came home, except i could not get the hard rubber tire back on the rim... Needless to say my mom was POed...

Use a general purpose lithium grease on reassembly. The replacement washer pumps sometimes come with covers, but rebuild kits do not. Check with supplier before ordering.

Had I known you were going to overhaul wiper motors, I would have given you a practice one that has been in the garage for years. (No washer pump cover on it though...)
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:13 AM

And to think this all started with my dads alarm clock when I was just a wee lad. Look at us now we take everything apart.

Last edited by citcapp; January 29th, 2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Past Administrator

Good luck Richard. I am sure you will get it done and knowing you we won't have to ask for pictures (oops, just did).
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Since the driven gear is plastic, use a silicone grease. Petroleum-based grease may attack the plastic.
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:59 PM

Joe will the lithium grease be good for plastic? I used a low temp white lithium grease when I put it back together, it looked about the same as what was in it.
Old February 8th, 2009, 07:36 PM
car guy

Still waiting on some plating to finish but got the hard part done today.
Cleaned everything real good in the parts washer and blasted the aluminum with walnut shells. I painted the motor cover and put the main housing back on the the motor and cover. I then resoldered the motor wires I had disconnected. The hardest part came next. No matter how hard I tried I could not get the mail shaft, white gear and the drive plate down far enought to seat the snap ring. After some head scratching I decided to sacrifice a socket by making a window. It worked perfect pressing it with a c-clamp and was back together in seconds when I did that.

Old February 8th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Registered Luser

Hey Richard, mine is going to be in the mail tomorrow! What's your address?
Old February 8th, 2009, 09:23 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Hey Richard, mine is going to be in the mail tomorrow! What's your address?
There will be green stuff with it right
Old February 8th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Registered Luser

We should all get paid for our talents!
Old February 8th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Registered

That looks excellent, as usual. That's socket is a specialty tool now and worth at least ten times more.
It's sort of the same type deal as a steering column lock plate remover. If you don't have one it's a little tough getting that retaining ring on or off.

I had to know how things worked too. I had a 1966 Big C.A.T ( Climb-Action-Traction) battery operated truck. 20 inches long with 4 wheel drive and a power take off and winch. That thing had at least fifty plastic or brass gears, shifting mechanisms, drive chains and a couple electric motors. I know because a week after getting it for Christmas I had it in pieces. It used that sticky clear grease and white lithium.
Old February 9th, 2009, 04:33 AM

MacGyver strikes again. How do you think so much more better than I?
Old February 9th, 2009, 04:58 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
MacGyver strikes again. How do you think so much more better than I?
Its a sickness.

You think this is bad you should have seen the contraption I had to make to help my neighbor change his fan clutch on his Trailblazer the other day. It wipped his *** for 2 hours before I got home. He got me involved and it had the best of me for about 30 min. 2 13mm sockets, a 2ft piece of scrap, a coulple short pieces of scrap, and a MIG welder later it was all over. I aways win (or destoy something trying)