Gas Gauge Help

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Gas Gauge Help

Hey guys my second post on here. I am finally getting my Cutlass on the road and want to fix the gas gauge. From what I can remember when I got the car the gauge worked because it was near empty. After fixing this and that I put some gas into it from a gas can so my car wouldn't run out. Now my needle is way over full. Anyone have ideas on what could be my problem? I was thinking something with the sender unit. Anyways of testing it or the wires going to it? thanks alot Pete
Old June 30th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Bad sender, open wire, bad ground, or bad gauge. Most probable are the wire and ground.

Front of tank on right side, you should see a braided ground wire going to a sheet metal bolt screwed into the axle hump of the floorpan. Take it off and clean that connection (wire end and the bare metal) REAL good with a wire brush.

As to the wire, look behind your rear license plate and you should see a single brown wire running over the top of the tank. Close to there is a connector. Undo the connector and ground the section going to the gauge. If it now reads empty, it's your sending unit. If it still reads full, it's the wire or the gauge.

But try the ground first. That's usually it.

C.J.
Old July 1st, 2006, 06:23 PM

thanks alot. I'll try that tomorrow.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 06:04 PM

I tried the ground, didnt make a difference. I didnt see a plug that I can disconnect but did find the brown wire. Can I just cut it and try it? I was wondering. I took out the charcoal canister from the engine bay. Now the vent line that was going to it is uncapped, could that be the problem? Thanks again
Old July 3rd, 2006, 07:26 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Charcoal cannister won't make a difference.

Pull around on that wire high and low. That connector is there. I don't cut wires if I can help it.

C.J.
Old July 6th, 2006, 12:35 PM

Can I check the ohms on the wire going to the sender in the tank? I would assume if I am not getting anything to it, its the wiring right? What would I be looking for in ohm numbers? thanks again
Old July 9th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

I'm sure you can, but I've no idea what the reading "should" be. From the plug on the back of the cluster to the tank, it's the wire, sender, or ground if it reads infinity ohms (open).

C.J.
Old July 9th, 2006, 02:45 PM

gonna pick your brain some more if you dont mind. I unplugged the gauge just checking the back of it. And the needle dropped. I plugged it back in and when I turned the key on. The needle began to rise but when I pulled the **** for the lights, the gauge stopped dead. Pushed it in began to rise again pulled it out dead stop. Thats weird huh. thanks for your help Pete
Old July 9th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Tom Servo's Stunt Double

Unplugging the connector removes the gauge from the system. The needle should drop.

As to the lights thing....Hmmmm...try running another ground to the gauge case.

C.J.