Headlights bucket housing replacement-How to?

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2022, 12:50 PM

Headlights bucket housing replacement-How to?

1971 Cutlass Supreme Convertible

Getting to the bucket housing for the headlights ?
I don't remember if that plastic surround that gets bolted to the radiator support housing can come off independently or does the bumper have to drop to get it off.
I have to replace the bucket housings and retaining rings for both headlights on the passenger side and I really can't get to the adjusting screws and the spring with that plastic shield in the way.
Any Suggestions ??
Thanks...Joe

Last edited by JVCCutlass; October 21st, 2022 at 01:09 PM.
Old October 21st, 2022, 02:13 PM

It’s been a few years since I did mine. I do remember lowering the bumper, removing the stone shield, grills, and head light bezels, then you can get to the headlight buckets. Be careful, the plastic pieces have tabs that can easily break.
Old October 21st, 2022, 05:37 PM

You can get the buckets out without pulling the plastic housings. If you care about the paint, you really can't get the plastic housings off without pulling the bumper, grills, and stone shield (assuming the fenders are still on the car). Remove the aluminum headlight bezels and remove the stainless headlight trim rings/ retainers along with the headlights. Then, turn the headlight adjuster screws out as far as you can. Finally, use a small pick with a bent 90 degree tip to pull the spring off of the headlight bucket. With the spring pulled off, you will be able to move the adjusters away far enough to remove the headlight bucket without pulling the plastic housings.