No Brake, Turn Signal, or Park Lights!

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2011, 01:00 PM

No Brake, Turn Signal, or Park Lights!

Here is my dilemma. I have a 1964 Cutlass that I’ve been working on and I have completed a lot! I have removed my entire dash wiring to inspect and yes, there were some wires shorted. I cleaned everything and installed the wire harness back under the dash. I didn’t have the brake lights, turn signals or park lights (yellow in the front) previous from me removing the dash harness and I still don’t. I did a search and found out that the flasher on my fuse box is responsible for making the turn signals flash. Which flasher should I purchase?? I don’t see a hazard switch for my hazard lights. Did they have them in 1964?? How about the brake and park light issue?? where should I start?? This is the only thing that is keeping me from driving the car. I fix this I’m on the road!! Any and all feedback and suggestions are welcomed!
Old March 20th, 2011, 01:35 PM

I do not think there is a 4-way flasher in '64, so a regular non-heavy duty signal flasher is what you would need.
However, the flasher would not keep the brake lights from coming on, so there is most likely another cause.
If all the fuses have been checked (and not just by looking at them), check the connections at the turn signal switch in the column.
The turn signal switch could be the issue.

Best thing is to do next trace 12V from your brake light switch to the turn signal switch. With the pedal depressed, you should see 12V all the way to the column.
Once that is confirmed, you should check for the brakelight voltage coming out of the column. You will need a 64 wiring diag to know the exact wire colors...
Old March 20th, 2011, 01:50 PM

Use an electric probe, and see where you have and don't have power.
Last fall, I did a '65 Nova coupe, with about the same problem - turned out it was the curved plug on the bottom of the steering column.
Cleaned it up, and plugged it in - good to go!
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:21 AM

Ok. Will do. I should be able to track down the problem. I removed the entire dash harness and I learned exactly what each wire do. I also have a schematic and its pretty accurate. Let me do some old fashioned troubleshooting and I will post an update.
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:31 AM

check your fuses,my brake lites didnt work either and it turned out the fuse clips were a little rusty, all the fuses were crusty
Old March 21st, 2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by stan 65 cutlass
check your fuses,my brake lites didnt work either and it turned out the fuse clips were a little rusty, all the fuses were crusty
Yes! Mine are the same! Rusty! Last night I tried to start the car and I noticed that some things did not come on like my gas hand and gen light. what did you use to clean your fuse box??
Old March 21st, 2011, 08:39 AM

A dremel tool may help, with a tiny wire brush...
Old March 21st, 2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
A dremel tool may help, with a tiny wire brush...
I did clean the contacts with a dremel and wire brush. When I was finished the contacts were not shiny at all. They still had a brown rust color. I will clean again with a more abrasive fitting on the dremel.
Old March 21st, 2011, 10:23 AM

The sound pretty nasty... Clean them well with alcohol or contact cleaner when done.
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:16 PM

I also read that i am suppose to check for bad grounds. I did not see any ground wires when I removed my dash harness. Where are the grounds located?? BTW, there isnt a ground wire from the - side of the battery going to the body. I do have a ground from the - side of the battery going to the engine block. Is that enough?? should I ground the body of the car???
Old March 21st, 2011, 12:23 PM

Should have a cable from neg batt to body somewhere. It could be run from the block to the chassis. Look for a braided strap near the firewall.

Ground points to check would include those made at the rear of the body for the lights and gas tank sender. Look for wires connected under body / chassis screws.
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:33 PM

My '69 442 had 2 wires/straps from the firewall, one to each valve cover!
Them thar ground wires are very important, throughout the car!
So are clean connections!
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:31 PM

Update

I probed around with my test light this evening and I got power to all fuses. I also got 12v at the brake switch so that is working. I started probing around the plug from the steering wheel and noticed that the flasher started clicking. I moved the turn signal and noticed that the turn signal started intermitting like it didn’t have a good connection. I can see it thru the test light! I also have 12v at the turn signals in the rear. So yes, the turn signal switch should clear up my problem! I placed it on order and it should be here soon. I will keep everyone updated on further progress.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 06:19 PM

I ,too, am having rear light problems with my 64 Cutlass- no tail, brake, or turn indicators. Took apart the steering column and the turn indicator switch is broken. This switch is rivited to a metal base and the bearing appears to be "built in". Is this the same type of switch as in your car ? If so, please tell me where you ordered the switch. Thanks, John.
Old March 24th, 2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Threejdsolds
I ,too, am having rear light problems with my 64 Cutlass- no tail, brake, or turn indicators. Took apart the steering column and the turn indicator switch is broken. This switch is rivited to a metal base and the bearing appears to be "built in". Is this the same type of switch as in your car ? If so, please tell me where you ordered the switch. Thanks, John.
Do you have a tilt steering wheel?? it makes a diffenence. I ordered from The Parts Place. www.thepartsplaceinc.com They pretty much have everything we need for our cars.
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the referral. I do not have tilt. John
Old March 24th, 2011, 08:47 PM

I installed the turn signal switch today. my turn signals started working normally. Still had rear tail light issues but I know what they are. I have bad turn signal sockets. Everything else works! Thatks for directing me to the correct area!