Tail lights and side markers won't stay on and keep blowing the fuse.

Search this Thread

Old September 8th, 2014, 08:50 AM

Tail lights and side markers won't stay on and keep blowing the fuse.

If I turn the lights on just the headlights come on..no tail lights or side marker's but if I hit the brakes everything lights up as it should and if I put the turn signal on it works as well. It also keeps blowing the tail light assembly fuse as soon as I pull on the light switch. I see a brown/white wire hanging down in front of the fuse block with one end running behind the block and the other end loose but I can't say if this is a new thing or I just never noticed it before because the car is still relatively new to me, maybe from a previous owner splicing/hacking into something. Any help would be much appreciated and the car is my '71 olds cutlass supreme. Thanks a lot.
Trevor
Old September 8th, 2014, 10:10 AM

You have a short in your car's taillight circuit.

I had a similar problem with my '73 Custom Cruiser. Headlights/hi-beams worked fine, turn signals worked fine, but the fuse for the taillights would blow the moment the headlight switch was pulled out.

I ended up tracing the wiring from the front of the car to the rear using one of those short finders:

Amazon.com: SG Tool Aid 25100 Short Tester: Automotive Amazon.com: SG Tool Aid 25100 Short Tester: Automotive

The problem ended up being a pinched wire in the left rear taillight housing. The car had been repainted, and I'm guessing the paint shop people didn't pay close attention when they reattached the taillight trim to the car.
Old September 8th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Old(s) Fart

First of all, the turn signals and brake lights use one of the two filaments in the 1157 bulbs. The tail lights and front parking lights use the other filament. The circuits are completely separate except for the common ground on the bulb.

I also assume that when the fuse blows, the front parking lights don't work either.

If so, you need to find the short in the park/tail light circuit. Start by looking at the wiring diagram in your Chassis Service Manual, where you will find that there are a LOT of things hanging off that fuse that could be the source of the problem. The CSM wiring diagram will also tell you that the brown/white wire is the feed for the park/tail light circuit, so that is a highly suspect wire.
Old September 8th, 2014, 05:03 PM

Thank you very much Jaunty and Joe for the responses, much appreciated.
I will focus on that brown/white wire and see where I get with that.
Old August 16th, 2021, 04:31 PM

Hi, we're u able to find the issue? I'm having the same exact problem with my 71 Sup.

Originally Posted by '71CS
If I turn the lights on just the headlights come on..no tail lights or side marker's but if I hit the brakes everything lights up as it should and if I put the turn signal on it works as well. It also keeps blowing the tail light assembly fuse as soon as I pull on the light switch. I see a brown/white wire hanging down in front of the fuse block with one end running behind the block and the other end loose but I can't say if this is a new thing or I just never noticed it before because the car is still relatively new to me, maybe from a previous owner splicing/hacking into something. Any help would be much appreciated and the car is my '71 olds cutlass supreme. Thanks a lot.
Trevor
Old August 16th, 2021, 05:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Welcome. Now go back and read post #3 in this thread.
Old August 16th, 2021, 05:47 PM

Hi Andy, ya my issue in particular was a bad rear tail light bulb, I took the lense covers off and started going through them bulb by bulb and found one that was really badly corroded and bridged the two contacts together so as soon as I pulled the light switch it instantly blew the fuse. I guess I was lucky it didn’t end up being a wiring issue just a bad contact point.
Old August 16th, 2021, 06:06 PM

Trevor
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Welcome. Now go back and read post #3 in this thread.
what exactly did you do to fix the problem? I'm checking every possibility, this is the only forum I can find on the internet. If you can give me exactly what you did to fix the problem would be highly appreciated.
Old August 16th, 2021, 06:25 PM

Hi Andy, ya my issue in particular was a bad rear tail light bulb, I took the lense covers off and started going through them bulb by bulb and found one that was really badly corroded and bridged the two contacts together so as soon as I pulled the light switch it instantly blew the fuse. I guess I was lucky it didn’t end up being a wiring issue just a bad contact point.
thank you, I really appreciate it. I'll look there now. What's weird to me is I disconnected the back harness and once I pulled the switch it still blew the fuse. Do you think it's a bad bulb in the front parking lights?
Old August 16th, 2021, 06:27 PM

Well check your bulbs first and see if that’s where the problem is and if it is then we can go from there..you would have a few options depending on the condition of your bulb sockets with varying degrees of getting them back in shape.
Old August 16th, 2021, 06:29 PM

Will do, thank you!!
Old August 16th, 2021, 06:29 PM

I’m thinking it would have to be the front part if you disconnected the back.
Old August 16th, 2021, 06:36 PM

me too, thanks again. I'll keep you posted. I'm hoping that's the issue for me and no wiring issues fingers crossed.
Old August 17th, 2021, 05:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

The pigtail that feeds the underhood light is on the same fuse. It's not uncommon for that pigtail to get pinched or otherwise shorted when people don't realize it's there. That will cause the fuse to blow immediately when you turn the lights on. Look for a pigtail coming out of the firewall harness below the brake booster.