trunk release button

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2010, 04:11 PM

trunk release button

What year/model car is this button for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trunk release 2 button.jpg (37.2 KB, 100 views)
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Schultzee made me do it...

Originally Posted by stevengerard
What year/model car is this button for?
Herr commandant, Looks very much like a 1970 Olds. Chebby, Buick and Poncho used yellow center buttons if memory serves. Only thing I'm not sure is why it's chrome plated. Most of the trunk releases were just black with white lettering.

Other than that, I know nnnnnnnuuuthhhhhhinnnnnnkkkkk!
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:32 PM

Dismissed
Old February 6th, 2010, 04:57 PM

I believe I've seen metal ones like that from 1966-1968 but all plastic ones from 1970-72 with the white lettering as Allen said. That's the best I can do with my memory! Anybody else? John
Old February 6th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Getting There

my 67 is chrome with black button
Old February 6th, 2010, 08:25 PM

I have read over and over again that 1970's are Black with Chrome but most of the time you see the Yellow/black buttons but I've been told those are for 71 and newer. I've had this for years and can't remember if it was off my car or another car as I have a yellow button as well
Old February 6th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I have read over and over again that 1970's are Black with Chrome but most of the time you see the Yellow/black buttons but I've been told those are for 71 and newer. I've had this for years and can't remember if it was off my car or another car as I have a yellow button as well
I know what you mean. BTW are all 4 of the tabs on the back intact? Personally, I like the look of this one a lot. I know the 1971/72 are all black with white lettering; I've got an NOS one still in the box somewhere in the garage. I guess the more important question is; does it matter? Only if you're doing a concours restoration I think. Does it by any chance have a part number molded onto the back side?
Old February 6th, 2010, 08:51 PM

I'll be darned, it has a 1 up on top left corner in the back and below that it say 0626 - it has four tabs on the back that are more or less a plastic wing on the bottom and top of the button barrel that creates a tab. Yeah in the big picture it just doesn't matter if it is "correct" but you get carried away with this stuff, as you realize this is correct or that isn't. That's my soapbox issue of late - the slippery slope to originality - espcially when I have all the W30 parts but no docs My next car will be a 70 cutlass or a modern Mustang/challenger and I'll do what ever I want to it - period.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trunk release btn back.jpg (64.5 KB, 32 views)
Old February 6th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Just an Olds Guy

......Yeah in the big picture it just doesn't matter if it is "correct" but you get carried away with this stuff, as you realize this is correct or that isn't. That's my soapbox issue of late - the slippery slope to originality - espcially when I have all the W30 parts but no docs ........
I'm with you on this. My 72 still has it's original docs, but it's not a W30 and never really will be. Sure, I could call it a W30 clone, but I'm not trying to fool anyone. Once you're on the slope, it somehow just seems to get steeper. The wierd part is, 99.99% of the people who see your car won't know or care. A perfectionist can never win or even get the perfect 1000 pts for a concours restoration. I've resigned myself to accepting whats reasonable and not to put a lot of unnecessary pressure in my end run.

BTW, the beauty of this setup is that if you ever want to change the release button to an NOS one, it's an easy fix.

The part number for this switch is listed as Group 12.243 #407413 for yrs 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 and 75. According to the GM parts catalogue, it's used in all the glove compartments for all models in those years.
Old February 6th, 2010, 10:04 PM

thanks Allan, yeah I'll probably just install this one for now and worry about finding another 70 with it installed so I can see what is right - of course I'm learning fast that what one may think is correct isn't and what may look incorrect is in fact correct - I always thought my open face alternator was wrong and just in the last year I find out it is a very expensive part to find if you want an original one.

I think I will hook up my trunk release to the ignition as being a convertible the trunk is the only really safe place to store valuables. If I have the relase wired like it is supposed to be you can unlock the trunk without the keys - which is nice if you accidentally lock the keys in the trunk but not if you are trying to secure valuables while the top is down.
Old February 6th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

........of course I'm learning fast that what one may think is correct isn't and what may look incorrect is in fact correct - I always thought my open face alternator was wrong and just in the last year I find out it is a very expensive part to find if you want an original one.

Uh huh, I had to upgrade my 37 OEM to a 63 amp (and got an OEM)with all the power equipment that I'm installing. Got a good deal though on a rebuild with proper date code and external VR. Lucked out.
I think I will hook up my trunk release to the ignition as being a convertible the trunk is the only really safe place to store valuables. If I have the relase wired like it is supposed to be you can unlock the trunk without the keys - which is nice if you accidentally lock the keys in the trunk but not if you are trying to secure valuables while the top is down.
Sorry Steven, but that's just funny! And you know what? I've done that a time or two. Locking keys in the trunk really makes me feel like a genius... Course the way you explained it, it makes a lot of sense. Mine will follow factory wiring, because its a hardtop. If I ever run into a duplicate or see one for a 70, I'll send you a PM ok?
Old February 6th, 2010, 10:24 PM

You're supposed to lock the glove box door to secure the trunk button...and being electric it will be a '70 or later
Old February 6th, 2010, 10:48 PM

yeah, but then after locking the glove box I'd still end up locking the keys in the trunk.

Thanks Alan, though I'm still wondering if this is a 70, it is a black button with a chrome surround
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:35 AM

It is a 70. I had a 70 post with the stock power trunk release and that's exactly what it looked like. I also have one of those in the garage waiting to go into my 442.
Old February 7th, 2010, 04:33 AM

My 70 442 has a factory installed electric trunk release, and the button is the same as your picture.

Earlier models had a chrome butoon, but they were vacuum operated.

I have a complete 70 set up with that button.

Want to buy it?
Old February 7th, 2010, 06:49 AM

OK, looks like my memory is a little foggy and I was off on the years!
John
Old February 7th, 2010, 08:56 AM

That is a 70 only trunk release button.
Old February 7th, 2010, 10:09 AM

YES, thank you for your help - for once I actually have a "70 only" part that is really for a 70. As mentioned its not that big of an issue but between me going with aftermarket fenders (Doh! really for 71/72) and the difficulty of finding some of these parts (at least cost effectively) it's nice to know I have a part sitting in the parts closet that is correct.