turn signal dilema

Search this Thread

Old July 24th, 2007, 07:37 PM

turn signal dilema

OK here i sit with a new to me by 5 days 1970 cutlass S Convertible however i need to get a safety inspection done within the next few days and my front blinkers are not working they have power the bulbs have been replaced i looked at them myself and i couldn't even explain what type of connector it has however i can tell you that it is a type of connector that doesn't come away fromt he housing. there seems to be some type of rubber over the wires. now to get to the point what i need to know does anybody know if i can get a new front blinker housing from anyone? checked YearOne,Fusick,thePartsPLace,every other site i could. i can find the lens but not the housing. also if this is not an option can someone tell me if i get the front end lighting harness from someone does it contain the blinker bulb housing? please help me out.
Old July 25th, 2007, 05:30 AM
Past Administrator

Pictures would help a lot. But is sounds like you are describing the standard turn signal set up. Are you using the bulbs with two elements? I assume the rear turn signals are working, right? If they are, that eliminates the flasher unit, if not, it could be the flasher unit. You said they have power, how did you determine that? Does your car have side marker/turn indicators in the front fenders (I think they do)? If so, those may be bad and preventing the front ones from working because they are in series with each other, check them too.
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by angryu
OK here i sit with a new to me by 5 days 1970 cutlass S Convertible however i need to get a safety inspection done within the next few days and my front blinkers are not working they have power the bulbs have been replaced i looked at them myself and i couldn't even explain what type of connector it has however i can tell you that it is a type of connector that doesn't come away fromt he housing. there seems to be some type of rubber over the wires. now to get to the point what i need to know does anybody know if i can get a new front blinker housing from anyone? checked YearOne,Fusick,thePartsPLace,every other site i could. i can find the lens but not the housing. also if this is not an option can someone tell me if i get the front end lighting harness from someone does it contain the blinker bulb housing? please help me out.
Well, your first problem is that there is no connector on the back of the housing. The wires are permanently attached to the socket and come out about 8-10" in a pigtail and then there's a connector.
Old July 25th, 2007, 12:14 PM

JOE thanks

you are right that is my first problem everything works but the connector just didn't look right. so now that i know that do you know of any place that i can get a new housing or two? or if not do you have any idea where i could get a retrofit type plug and housing for this? any help would be appreciated thanks. again i have checked the normal run of parts suppliers but to no avail.

thanks again.
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Jim's rare 80

Hi. If you say you have power, that's good. But you didn't mention ground. Are you sure you have a complete connection? Power has to have a place to go. Let us know. Jim.