Wiper problem 85 custom cruiser revisited...

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2007, 02:03 PM
1977 Cutlass Supreme

Wiper problem 85 custom cruiser revisited...

I have delay wipers-they're completely inoperative. I checked for power at the motor and it's there with the key on. While probing for power I unintentionally provided a ground with the test light and the wipers operated normally. I understand the switch in the column provides a ground with different resistances for high and low speed, and that it all goes through the circuit board on the washer pump. What's the most likely culprit here? I've ordered a factory wiring manual, but it's not here yet. Any help is much appreciated-thanks!

Last edited by a6m5zerosen; December 29th, 2007 at 03:38 PM.
Old December 29th, 2007, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by a6m5zerosen
I have delay wipers-they're completely minoperative. I checked for power at the motor and it's there with the key on. While probling for power I unintentionally provided aground with the test light and the wipers operated normally. I understand the switch in the column provides a ground with different resistances for high and low speed, and that it all goes through the circuit board on the washer pump. What's the most likely culprit here? I've ordered a factory wiring manual, but it's not here yet. Any help is much appreciated-thanks!
That later model, with intermittent wipers, I can only guess. Based on you supplying a ground through your test light, I'd say hook a jumper wire to the motor to frame for ground. I don't follow the "switched" ground from the wiper switch for delay. I'd guess intermittent wipers, it would shift power through resistors for varying speeds.
Old December 29th, 2007, 09:57 PM

a6 Disconnect plug & remove the delay module, If it's the rectangle type ? clean the contacts Pay close attention to the circuit board for burn spots. if so replace, or just plug original plug directly into motor.You wont have delay but you will have wipers ,You can also just add a extra ground to motor,but wipers may not park properly,
Old December 30th, 2007, 05:24 AM

You might also disassemble the switch on the steering column and clean it. The switch had quite a few functions and could probably wear easily.
Old December 31st, 2007, 07:29 AM
1977 Cutlass Supreme

Thumbs up wiper problem solved...

I bought a washer pump/circuit oard combination at a junkyard-put it on and wipers work like a champ. Had to really hunt for it, though-there are lots of different connector configurations. Thanks for all the help, guys! Oh, by the way, this car always starts on the first or second crank, no matter how cold it is outside here in Denver. Impressive for a car with 388,000 miles on it...

Last edited by a6m5zerosen; December 31st, 2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old December 31st, 2007, 03:45 PM

That is awsome! Those 307s will run forever!
Old January 2nd, 2008, 10:47 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Ugh... I just burned mine out this morning in the 0 degree weather I think.

When on low and hi I'm getting nothing
when on variable delay I just get a loud buzz.

Too cold to F with today though.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 05:44 AM

Make sure the blades are not frozen to the glass, These motors will not turn back off without running a full cycle