Wiper switch gets hot

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2009, 05:37 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Wiper switch gets hot

Today had the cutlass out for a nice ride. Got caught in a rain shower and had to turn on the wipers. When I went to turn them off the switch was very hot. I guess 150 to 160 degrees. I could only touch it for a couple of seconds. This is the first time I have used the wipers for any length of time since I got the car. It is a convertible and I try to stay out of the rain in it. The wipers worked fine other than that.
I am going to check the fuse and see if someone put a huge one in. Also check the grounds and see if two wires are touching.
They were on for about 20 mins.
The car is a 71 cutlass convertible.
Anyother ideas on what to look for.
Thanks Larry
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
Today had the cutlass out for a nice ride. Got caught in a rain shower and had to turn on the wipers. When I went to turn them off the switch was very hot. I guess 150 to 160 degrees. I could only touch it for a couple of seconds. This is the first time I have used the wipers for any length of time since I got the car. It is a convertible and I try to stay out of the rain in it. The wipers worked fine other than that.
I am going to check the fuse and see if someone put a huge one in. Also check the grounds and see if two wires are touching.
They were on for about 20 mins.
The car is a 71 cutlass convertible.
Anyother ideas on what to look for.
Thanks Larry
Obviously there is a lot of resistance in the circuit. Any visual evidence of high temp such as melted wire jacket or heat distortion of harness connector at the wiper motor? If not, I'd be suspicious of the wiper switch having issues and needing replacement, but let's hope it is something else.
Old May 26th, 2009, 03:01 AM

Smile Heated discussion

Because the dash is plastic, there are thin metal plates behind the switches for the ground circuit and your heat problem is probably a loose connection at the wiper switch...
Old May 26th, 2009, 05:28 AM

If all the connections at the switch look okay, then the contacts inside it may be pitted and arcing, justifying a new switch. An ammeter can quickly verify if the motor is okay.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:05 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Thanks for the info. Will look at and let you know what I find. Maybe a little while am busy with work.
Larry