General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1959 Drum Break Question????

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:59 AM

1959 Drum Break Question????

Hi all, I'm doing the entire break system on my 59 and have a question. I got replacement front drums, had the old ones pressed off hub. Was told not to press the new ones on, but then the hub won't sit flush the drum due to the lip around the studs. Make sense??? Should I just put new studs in the hub, or open up the holes on the drums a little??

Any thoughts??

Thanks,
Kensey
Old June 2nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by Kensey
Hi all, I'm doing the entire break system on my 59 and have a question. I got replacement front drums, had the old ones pressed off hub. Was told not to press the new ones on, but then the hub won't sit flush the drum due to the lip around the studs. Make sense??? Should I just put new studs in the hub, or open up the holes on the drums a little??

Any thoughts??

Thanks,
Kensey
If they are reproduction drums and not right, send the suckers back and let vendor get their act straight. If they are good used, still send them back someone messed up on reading an interchange manual and sent you the wrong drums.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Kensey

Any thoughts??

Thanks,
Kensey
You are supposed to press the studs completely out of the hub, put the new drum in place over the hub, then press the studs through both the hub and drum at the same time. You will need to support the drum with a piece of pipe or socket around the stud hole to ensure the hub remains flush with the drum.

By the way, unless your drums are broken, they are BRAKE drums...