General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

442.com

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2014, 08:13 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

442.com

Is the 442.com site dead? I've tried to get on the site for the past week or so and I just get a message that says "This webpage is not available."
Old January 14th, 2014, 08:20 PM

I've experienced the same

In the past week or two, once in a while you can get it. I like to look at the FAQ and I guess it is part of 442.com?
Old January 14th, 2014, 09:04 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I just tried it and here is what I got:

Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 442.com

Access a cached copy of 442.*com
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:38 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

Got the following message on Firefox:
The connection has timed out

The server at www.442.com is taking too long to respond.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
Old January 14th, 2014, 10:39 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

And on Safari the message said the server where this page is located isn't responding.
Old January 15th, 2014, 07:41 AM
Old(s) Fart

442.com has a history of going down sporadically. In the past it's been down for several days then come back up. Just keep trying.

Or don't...
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Runner

Anyone know who specifically Brothers Automotive runs the site? If they don't mind, I'd love to at least backup the information there. Too much good stuff to lose if they go down. I'd gladly take the domain name too
Old January 15th, 2014, 10:59 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Ya it does this. If you ping it, it comes back as a Ethernet IP not a real server. Its a small operation started many years ago. It lacks some of the more popular modern features that this site has. It needs an update for sure. That costs money and time. It was for sale at one time. I dont think the moderator/owner is interested in up dating at least he wasn't. Lots of great info there. I sure hope he has it all backed up real good. 69Olds.com was another good one but that went belly up.
Old January 15th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Runner

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
It needs an update for sure. That costs money and time. It was for sale at one time. I dont think the moderator/owner is interested in up dating at least he wasn't. Lots of great info there. I sure hope he has it all backed up real good. 69Olds.com was another good one but that went belly up.
With that being said, I really want to talk to the owner to at least get permission to back up some of the document information so again, if anyone has their contact information, please let me know.
Old January 15th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Old School Olds

Cool That would be awesome Joffroi!

Originally Posted by Joffroi
With that being said, I really want to talk to the owner to at least get permission to back up some of the document information so again, if anyone has their contact information, please let me know.
I know that Joe P. Chris W. and some others
worked hard over there on the faq section. It is set up
for navagation with no bs. It would be sweet if
CO's faq worked like 442.com's does.

I know some of the info there is off, but J.P. & C.W.
are here now and some of the others as well.
IMOP, this IS the best site... Time for an update?

I tip my hat to you site adminstrators, moderators,
web caster masters, You guys rock, Thanks.
Old January 15th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
I know that Joe P. Chris W. and some others
worked hard over there on the faq section. It is set up
for navagation with no bs. It would be sweet if
CO's faq worked like 442.com's does.
Unfortunately, it didn't quite work that way. Shortly after the Earth cooled in the early 1990s, there was an Oldsmobile email listserver called Chubecto, actually hosted out of Canada and administered by a gentleman named Greg Beaulieu. The Olds FAQ was created by a man named David Brown who simply extracted posts from this listserver and collated them into what became the FAQ. The material attributed to Chris Witt and myself actually started life as posts on the listserver. Unfortunately, editorial control and fact checking was sporadic, which is why there is conflicting data and errors in the FAQ. Since 442.com took over hosting the FAQ, there has been no obvious way to correct these errors, and apparently little desire to do so.

I also have to say that Chris Witt gets the majority of the credit, especially for his hard work in documenting casting numbers. Of course, his, er, sense of humor in how he described certain applications has occasionally led to confusion on the part of some readers.
Old January 15th, 2014, 01:02 PM
Old School Olds

Well darn.
Years ago, after I got to Marble and
the kid's were on their own and I
was looking at getting back into my Oldsmobiling,
442.com was found and I got a refresher
course from you boys, I haven't been there
in a while, but the faq was the reason
I would go back to it and still do once in
a while. The faq is awesome.
My thanks again guys, Adam.
Old January 15th, 2014, 01:24 PM

I was able to get in yesterday just fine. I love the site, very nice to go to and who wouldn't love that blue 442 parked besides Dr Olds himself on the home page.
Old January 15th, 2014, 01:53 PM
same but different

Wow, I haven't visted over there for a long time. I've all ways been under the impression that the FAQ was hosted on one or two other sites, but I sure can't remember them.

Ok, I just remembered it was Olds Junction but its not there anymore.
Old January 15th, 2014, 06:06 PM

went here I believe

http://www.oldsmobilewiki.com/index.php/Main_Page
Old January 16th, 2014, 05:41 AM
Trying to remember member

Guys, apparently I need to remind you that Wild About Cars is building a library of of information that transcends everything that is in the old (and outdated) Olds FAQs.
Straight original documentation ("primary" sources) is in the AHPS library there. Compiled information ("secondary" sources) is in the Tech section on the Wild About Cars side, look under "Techipedia". The Olds FAQs is entirely secondary information.
The Tech section is really robust because all information contained there can be, and is backed up by reference material complimented by pics and links directly to the reference material. For example, see how the '70-'71 Cutlass SX is done:
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=50
You don't have to "take the word" of the writer, because where the info comes from is referenced.

More content is being added to both the library and the Tech sections on a continual basis, and the amount of Olds content already far surpasses what is in the Olds FAQs.
And also unlike the Olds FAQs, all WAC content can be updated and provisions have been made to save and keep the content available so it won't be here today and gone tomorrow.

I also need to point out that WAC is a collaborative effort. The 200,000+ page views already on site didn't get there on their own or from some bankrolled corporation. It takes hard work from those that really care about preserving and making available this information.
So if anyone reading this is inclined to help out, or knows someone who may be interested, the door at Wild About Cars is always open.
Old January 16th, 2014, 06:38 AM

It was pretty much the main Oldsmobile site in the early years when the "Bryceman" started it. I think he sold it. They never updated the car gallery etc. It got stagnant. I still checked it out occasionally. I noticed last week there weren't any new/recently posted cars for sale. I like "window shopping" but my retirement resolution was "don't buy any more Oldsmobiles." I've only fell off the wagon once but because it was a parts car, it doesn't count. I hope the site survives. Anyone remember Lisa's Oldsmobile site? I loved that site. Free classified ads. I bought/sold a lot of Olds parts/cars through the site. Bickering by a couple guy's (ya, one that is on this site) caused her to shut it down. She warned them but it was more important to try to win their arguments so she pulled the plug. This is a great site but so were those two at one time, lets hope this site doesn't go downhill. Jmo, Ken
Old January 16th, 2014, 06:54 AM

I like 442.com. I've referred to it many times and I have referred others to it as well. It's also where I found my 442. I hope it sticks around.
Old January 16th, 2014, 07:08 AM

As said over the years the site goes down for a week or days and pops back up but I would not be surprised if it does not especially if Brothers Parts is a sponsor. I used to enjoy the chat line they had there as it was very busy at the start but man did it have problems keeping you on. Too bad the chat here on Classic Olds is so stagnant.
Old January 16th, 2014, 07:36 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Just put a post there for "them" to read. Last time I made contact it was with Brycemann. It wasn't that long ago...I think.
Maybe we should do a collaborative effort here in attempt to resurrect the site somehow. At least pull it out of the dark ages and show who ever owns it now that we are interested is doing something for the sites sake. Im willing to help. If it involves purchase or what ever. I realize it would involve a little more than that. I've been posting there for at least a dozen years. There is plenty of info that shouldn't be lost to cyber space just in the posted threads alone then there's the FAQ. The site is different enough to differentiate it from CO. Dont want to step on COs toes nor any others.
joffori, Joe, Kurt what do you think we should do something for the sake of Olds and that site?
Steve
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:22 AM
Trying to remember member

Just put a post there for "them" to read. Last time I made contact it was with Brycemann. It wasn't that long ago...I think.
Maybe we should do a collaborative effort here in attempt to resurrect the site somehow. At least pull it out of the dark ages and show who ever owns it now that we are interested is doing something for the sites sake. Im willing to help. If it involves purchase or what ever. I realize it would involve a little more than that. I've been posting there for at least a dozen years. There is plenty of info that shouldn't be lost to cyber space just in the posted threads alone then there's the FAQ. The site is different enough to differentiate it from CO. Dont want to step on COs toes nor any others.
joffori, Joe, Kurt what do you think we should do something for the sake of Olds and that site?
Steve
With all due respect, are you kidding me? Did you even read my previous post?
Old January 16th, 2014, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
It takes hard work from those that really care about preserving and making available this information.
In the words of Daniel Tosh:
"And for this, we thank you!"
Old January 16th, 2014, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
It was pretty much the main Oldsmobile site in the early years when the "Bryceman" started it. I think he sold it. They never updated the car gallery etc. It got stagnant. I still checked it out occasionally. I noticed last week there weren't any new/recently posted cars for sale. I like "window shopping" but my retirement resolution was "don't buy any more Oldsmobiles." I've only fell off the wagon once but because it was a parts car, it doesn't count. I hope the site survives. Anyone remember Lisa's Oldsmobile site? I loved that site. Free classified ads. I bought/sold a lot of Olds parts/cars through the site. Bickering by a couple guy's (ya, one that is on this site) caused her to shut it down. She warned them but it was more important to try to win their arguments so she pulled the plug. This is a great site but so were those two at one time, lets hope this site doesn't go downhill. Jmo, Ken
Bryce Smith did sell the site.
I procured and held a car for him, and scouted a blown engine for sale also, so in return when I was jobless he waived advertising costs on the site. I never made much selling rusty junk- need billions of buyers I guess- or the callous nature to screw folks.

Lisa's site was great until one day it was no longer in existence.
One reason I largely refrain from posting in reply to stooopid stuff anymore. If you ck my post history you will find mostly helpful, sometimes humorous, and rarely pot stirring. Recently, Mr. Hell-69 for example got only the barest and factual reply to his incredibly rude remark thrown my way in response to a humorous barb at how thin skinned some folks seem to be.
Old January 16th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Runner

Steve
The content definitely needs to be preserved. wmachine is doing an excellent job at that now and if I have time, I'll start archiving some of the technical information. To be honest, one of my main concerns is the future of the domain name. Its an awesome name and I would hate for it to get scooped up and forgotten.
Old January 16th, 2014, 11:47 AM

I don't have a clue about what's involved in creating and running a site but I appreciate the time and effort that the owners put into them. I use both of the members sites and I'm thankful for them. It's like having an auto library and a Oldsmobile classified section without leaving the house. Thanks Guys! Ken
Old January 16th, 2014, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kennybill
Anyone remember Lisa's Oldsmobile site? I loved that site. Free classified ads. I bought/sold a lot of Olds parts/cars through the site.
I remember Lisa Madsen's site well. I made my all time greatest Olds-related purchase from an ad there in 2001, a local rust free yellow '70 Supreme ragtop that had been stored since 1978 and came with an insane stash of extra Olds performance parts and options for $2800. I couldn't give the guy my money and load up fast enough. ; )

Terry
Old January 17th, 2014, 10:29 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Originally Posted by wmachine
With all due respect, are you kidding me? Did you even read my previous post?
No I didnt see it.
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by vette442
I remember Lisa Madsen's site well.
Wow! That's a blast from the past. I had completely forgotten about her site.

FYI, I haven't been able to get into Oldspower.com today, either.

This doesn't bode well...
Old January 20th, 2014, 08:58 PM
1968 Olds Cutlass S

Just an FYI, but the site is back up now.