General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

71 442 conv. title

Search this Thread

Old October 6th, 2008, 06:04 AM

71 442 conv. title

good day to all. i'm looking for a title and tags for a 71 442 convertible. any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old October 6th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 71442masonb
good day to all. i'm looking for a title and tags for a 71 442 convertible. any help would be greatly appreciated!!
They usually come with the car when you buy it...

We're not trying to build a clone, are we?
Old October 6th, 2008, 10:45 PM

real nice,just a little info, my tags and title burned up in a house fire. aren't you a moron! what a great guy.
Old October 7th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Past Administrator

No he isn't really a moron. The way you posted, without explanation, it sounded exactly like he interpreted it to me too. To be honest, there are people who are trying to do that so...1+1=2. Not a biggy. Back to your dilemna, is there any help from your state's Department of Motor Vehicles or whatever they call it? Usually there is a way to get copies of at least the title, then the tags come fairly easy if you have your title.
Old October 7th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

real nice,just a little info, my tags and title burned up in a house fire. aren't you a moron! what a great guy.
If you legally own the car, your DMV will issue a duplicate title. Different states have different procedures. Here in VA it takes one form and costs all of five bucks. This is why I'm very suspicious when someone says they can't get a title for a car they own.
Old October 7th, 2008, 11:57 AM

my tags and title burned up in a house fire. aren't you a moron!
I would have figured that aliens came down in their spaceship and stole them. That is the first thing that came into my mind. Either that or the Sasquatch broke into your house and got a five finger discount. I am glad he didn't take off with your keys too.
Old October 7th, 2008, 01:27 PM

thanks to all who replied. i should've explained the situation a lil better. anywho, i got the title situation handled. on the otherhand the vin tags are toast. the car is in a bazillion pieces any way. i;m probably gonna look for a shell w/all the tags & title,probably the easiest route. again, thanks to all.
Old October 7th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Old(s) Fart

thanks to all who replied. i should've explained the situation a lil better. anywho, i got the title situation handled. on the otherhand the vin tags are toast. the car is in a bazillion pieces any way. i;m probably gonna look for a shell w/all the tags & title,probably the easiest route. again, thanks to all.
I'm sorry to hear about your fire. I must admit that I'm still confused. Are you telling us that the VIN tag and cowl tag were removed from the car? If that's your problem, you likely cannot get a duplicate VIN tag made, for pretty obvious reasons. In most states you can get a state DMV-issued VIN tag if you document the problem, but of course that pretty much destroys any collector value of the car. The state-issued VIN will not be an Oldsmobile VIN.
Old October 8th, 2008, 10:02 AM

thanks for the replys gents. yea, the car was a total basketcase when i bought it 19 years ago. i would post some pics but the site says they're too big. not a puter genious by no means. just tryin to gather up some parts so i can get ol' girl on the road soon again.
Old October 14th, 2008, 06:03 AM

Buying a title and tags is not going to help get your car on the road. You cant just move vin tags around. It is a crime. It is not a gray area, either. It is simply not an option for your predicament.

Even if you did find an unconscionable person to sell you the title and tags, what would you do about the other VIN numbers that are stamped on the car and frame? How are you going to get those to match the illegal vin tag?

What a bunch of people fail to realize is that going to the DMV with your predicament is actually LESS time, money, and effort than doing things the illegal/immoral way, and it helps to keep the hobby just a little bit cleaner.
Old October 14th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by tclaemont
Even if you did find an unconscionable person to sell you the title and tags, what would you do about the other VIN numbers that are stamped on the car and frame? How are you going to get those to match the illegal vin tag?
I agree with you, but if the DMV really cared about the VIN derivative stampings, you'd never be able to swap engines, transmissions, or frames.