General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

72 cutlass fan shroad attachment

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2010, 07:01 PM

72 cutlass fan shroad attachment

Does anyone have a diagram or pictures of how a 72 cutlass 350 without air, fan shroad bolts up,I think I know how the bottom works,but I am interested in the top or upper two conection pionts?Does it bolt to the top plate? But my top plate does not have any holes in it to do so. Thanks
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:47 PM

Ok,I do see a difference in no air and air cars.The air cars mount to top plate and plate is slightly different.I have a non air car so how does the top of the radiator shroad mount,or is there two different kinds of shroads? Thanks Rick
Old May 1st, 2010, 08:03 PM
1972 Cutlass 455

I have had 2 different top plates on my 72, both air and non and they both had enlongated holes in it to screw to the shroud. Are you sure the plate is stock and not off of some other car? I would hink that even if your car didn't originally come with a shroud( non heavy duty cooling) that they would still use the same plate. Even so, if you were to jus drill the holes in there, you get some of those fold over clips, the clips that have the built in nut attached to it, and clip it onto the top of the shroud, then just screw through the topplate and into the shroud.
Old May 6th, 2010, 08:53 PM

It's likely that your car came with a non-fan shroud top plate. If there aren't any of the elongated holes in the top plate where the top of the fan shroud sits under it, then you'll need a different top plate. Olds had these non-fan shroud top plates on some cars and they are completely different looking (different stamping pattern) than the fan shroud top plates.

One quick reference point is if your top plate has two quarter circle shaped raised ribs on the top (kind of on either side of the center of the plate) it's likely the non-fan shroud type.

Can you post a pic??

You should be able to find a 3 core radiator fan shroud top plate very easily as they are on A LOT of Cutlasses.

Last edited by 70Post; May 6th, 2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old May 7th, 2010, 02:27 AM

where are you located? i have a top plate for a fan shroud if you are interested. post where you are and if someone closer has one it would save on shipping.
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:18 PM

This exact thing drove me crazy on my '73 Cutlass Supreme. An unmolested, 32K original mile, non-air car. It didn't have a fan shroud when I got it. Nor did it have a radiator overflow tank. Just a rubber tube that ran down along the radiator. The top plate had the holes for a shroud. And I thought it needed a shroud. And the seller swore to the God's of Oldsmobile that the car was unmolested. But here are two things to look at. #1 Where is the emission sticker (If it's still intact on your car.)? The one with the timing and spark plug gap information along with a little diagram of vac hoses? That's something you would normally find on the fan shroud, right? On my '73, it's on the passenger side fenderwell (clue #1). #2 The aluminum spacer between your water pump pulley and the fan. There are two variations. A long one and a short one (clue #2). My unmolested '73 has a long one. I attempted to install a fan shroud on my '73. I purchased a fan shroud, spring clips, and correct hardware. After removing the fan and long spacer, I installed the shroud. It looked good. Like it grew there. But when I attempted to put the long spacer and fan back in......MISSION IMPOSSIBLE! There was NO WAY it was going to go back together. So I reversed everything and put it back like it was, except I did install a correct overflow tank. I could change it and have a shroud if I had a short spacer, but I'm trying to be as original as possible. So I have a "non-heavy duty cooling" car as mentioned above. Your '72 may very well be the same.