General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

80s B/C body trans cooler lines

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Oldsdruid

80s B/C body trans cooler lines

Can someone with an early-80s Delta or Ninety Eight with Oldsmobile gas V8 post pics of the trans cooler line routing at the radiator end?

I have decided to replace the constantly seeping radiator in the 83 Custom Cruiser with a new aluminum & plastic job.

The CC was originally a Diesel and as such has the trans cooler lines routed to the grille side of the cold tank. These lines have a coupling in them a few inches aft of the radiator, then the jumper lines route to the front of the rad.

I need to know if the Olds V8 gas engine cars had those couplings with a different jumper to the rear-side trans cooler line fittings. 83 shop book has a marvelously detailed drawing of the Diesel lines showing the coupling, clearances, routing etc.

The gas car drawing is generic, little detail and is obviously a Buick V6 engine.

If the gas car lines have the coupling and jumper, if anyone has a pair of the short tubes they're willing to sell, I'm interested. It's that or have to bend them myself. And it's like I told the parts guy- it may be next year before I get time to even do it since some higher-up's boneheaded decisions have ensured we will be working overtime thru Christmas and New Year's.
Old November 30th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Mine are run from the trans, to the radiator. The wagons are the ones that usually came with a trans cooler.
Old December 1st, 2011, 03:51 AM
Oldsdruid

Actually only the Diesels got the front-connected trans cooler. They also have an engine oil cooler and the lines for that connect to the engine side of the radiator tank. My oil cooler has been unhooked for years.

So the gas cars don't have that coupling and short jumper line?

Good thing I knew the history of this car and what was changed when it was converted to gas. The N in the VIN is always throwing people and parts guys always tell me "that car can't have a gas 350, it's either a 307 or a Diesel 350, which one is it?" And I say, "gas 350" .

Thanks J!