General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Air cleaner breather hose

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2021, 08:48 PM

Air cleaner breather hose

Hi there I am working on my '64 cutlass with the 330 v8. I'm struggling to figure out what the original air cleaner should look like, in terms of the breather hose. The car has been in the family forever and I'm restoring it slowly so I've never personally seen what hose should be here:

NNdjQmR.png

Now I see online that most of the air cleaners have a hole in the snout where it sucks the air. The only other picture I found was off a '68 that looks like this:
QEwDkUr.png

If

An
Old September 5th, 2021, 08:49 PM

If anyone knows the part number that will work for my air cleaner please let me know or someone show me where to get the right part. I imagine it should look like the green box above? Thanks a ton.

Old September 6th, 2021, 04:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

That "Closed PVC" configuration is unique to the 1964-65 California cars. It is similar to the 1968 parts in your second photo, but nothing interchanges. The filter in the air cleaner housing is P/N 6420776. The pipe that goes from there to the valve cover grommet is P/N 385208, which is 1964 330 only. The valve cover with the PCV valve goes on the passenger side for this setup. I suspect it will be difficult to find the correct parts.

This illustration from the parts book shows the closed PCV system for the 1964 394 motor. Your 1964 330 would be similar.

Old September 6th, 2021, 05:10 AM
Oldsdruid

Are you in California, was the car delivered new in California, and if so has it always been in California?

Also: post a picture of the passenger side valve cover. Right now I'm not seeing a fresh air source for what appears to be a closed PCV system, which a 1964 California car would have had.

CA emissions car would have had a breather filter inside the air cleaner where that hole is, with a hose or metal tube run from it to the driver's side rocker cover like the 68 picture. This would serve as crankcase vent system fresh air intake.

PCV valve would mount in opposite rocker cover and its hose runs from PCV valve to a manifold vacuum port behind the carb.

49-state emissions cars have what is called "open PCV" and fresh air intake is thru a breather filter mounted either on a valve cover or in the oil fill cap depending on year.

Here's part numbers from a January 1965 factory parts book.

Grp 1.762 Positive Crankcase Ventilation Parts.

1964- filter assembly (in carb air cleaner- closed type PCV) PN 6420776

1964- F85 V8, Jetstar 88- PIPE, valve cover to air cleaner (closed type PCV) PN 385280

1964- V8- GROMMET, vent pipe, (closed type PCV) PN 385283 or 385284

1964- V8- CONNECTOR, vent hose to carb (closed type PCV) PN 385281
Old September 6th, 2021, 05:14 AM
Oldsdruid

This is from same parts book looking from distributor side of engine. The parts you're looking for are on the left.

I hope this has helped.
Old September 6th, 2021, 06:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rocketraider

This is from same parts book looking from distributor side of engine. The parts you're looking for are on the left.

I hope this has helped.
Glenn, what's the printing date on your parts book? Mine is 1965-older but with an April 1969 printing date. It doesn't have that illustration.
Old September 6th, 2021, 09:59 AM

Okay, great bit of info from you two. The car has always been in California and yes it was bought new in the bay area. I'm just now putting the engine back together after a rebuild so I very well have the hoses mixed up. Basically, I need to attach the carb hose to the passenger side valve cover. Seeing the diagram I now know that the valve cover on the driver side has a hose that connects to the air cleaner on the driver side.

Now I gotta track down a hose and the grommet. Or at least find something that will work for now... Thanks again!
Old September 6th, 2021, 10:47 AM
Oldsdruid

Jan 65 print date and the illustration is a July 64 revision. I find it odd that this book omits some 1964 stuff though.

OP, glad to have helped. PCV was in its infancy in those years and most manufacturers took few pains with it until they could no longer ignore the state requirements. Even thru late 60s most were still open systems, with a fresh air breather open to atmosphere that would still let blowby fumes out. Moving it inside the air cleaner solved that since blowby would get sucked back into the engine and reburned at the expense of fouling the carb air filter quicker. Some manufacturers even installed a baffle to help with that.

Your best bet for the pipe is an ancient salvage yard that hasn't crushed anything or been forced to close by the state. You might also search yards in adjacent states since cars often moved between states.

The rubber parts might be easiest thing to find. If we can find out diameter of the air pipe, it may fit into a 65-90 Olds valve cover grommet which are often available at a parts store. A short piece of heater hose might work at the air cleaner end.

And don't tell anyone, but carbureted Chevrolets and some EFI Fords have their fresh air breather filter inside the air cleaner too. If you can find a cooperative parts guy, you may be able to make something work. Pontiac supplier Steve Ames often said "fit and function are acceptable" for an available part that could replace an unobtainium Pontiac part.

Last edited by rocketraider; September 6th, 2021 at 02:39 PM.