General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Anyone covered their sticky sport wheel?

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2012, 08:11 AM
1971 Cutlass S

Anyone covered their sticky sport wheel?

I put a "sticky" sport wheel on my 71S about two weeks ago, already getting tired of cleaning it constantly and I am looking to cover it with a tight leather sewed on wheel cover. If any of you have done so would you post pics, and let me know what you bought and if you are happy with the look/feel of the cover. I am looking for a good solution that does not change the stock look of the wheel too much. My ride is not a show car, but I would still like it to look basically stock.

Thanks.
Old August 14th, 2012, 10:37 AM

I am sure many have covered them, so let's see them!
I have a sticky wheel in my back room that I want to put on, but do not want to clean it before each drive.
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:59 AM

Why not just clean it? I've had good luck using some pretty harsh detergents, then "rewetting" them with some vegetable oil. Its come out pretty good for a driver.

I'll have to look at www.Eastwood.com... they HAD a kit to take care of that "sticky" and I hadn't seen it in a while. Humm... research time...

John
Old August 14th, 2012, 12:10 PM
72 Olds CS

I washed mine really good w dawn (and she didnt mind at all) then after that i used dishwashing detergent on it....its been 6 mo and 1000 miles and still not sticky !!!
Old August 14th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Administrator

I used the vinyl old style lace up cover, with the nylon stiching on my Plymouth a few years back and loved it! Got it at OReilly auto parts. Sorry no pic's.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/se...Redirect=N0137
Old August 14th, 2012, 12:31 PM

My sport steering wheel is forty-two years old and has never been sticky. My car's black outside and inside with no air and has seen it's share of sweaty palms, but no sticky wheel. Guess I got the ultra rare "non stick wheel !"
Old August 16th, 2012, 02:19 PM

I've done a few of them. Once you get the hang of it, you can do one in a couple of nights while your sitting around watching tv. Probably about 5 hours total?

I will tell you, its hard on the finger tips pushing the needle through the leather.

The wrap is about $20-25 from your local pep boys.

I was actually thinking about posting that I'd start doing it as a service for other Olds guy's who wanted their wheels wrapped, but I dont know how much Id really be able to charge? Plus their would be shipping charges both ways. Might add up to an expensive wrap??
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:20 PM

I just ran into another 67 cutty at a local show the other night and we talked about how the wheels get sticky... pretty funny thread. Maybe we should all quit eating McDonalds while driving LOL.
Old August 17th, 2012, 04:52 AM
72 Olds CS

that looks nice w tony can you give us a link to that cover we dont have any pep boys round here
Old August 17th, 2012, 05:20 AM

It's not grease from fingers or food that is causing the the dreaded sticky wheel problem.
The rubber grip was vulcanized when the wheel was made which seals/hardens the rubber. I don't know if it's due to the outer layer wearing off exposing the unvulcanized rubber underneath or that the rubber simply breaks down over time that causes the sticky feel.
I believe the reason some people have success with cleaning them and some don't is due to the extent the given wheel is worn. The more the textured outer layer is worn off, the more chemicals will leach out.
The addition of chemicals like sulfer as well as heat and pressure are used in the vulcanizing process so I'm wondering if popping a wheel in an oven heated to 350 - 400 or so for a few minutes would sort of vulcanize the existing outer layer and seal it again. The wiki explanation said 170C is used which equals 338F. You still won't have any texture but it may seal it and keep it from getting sticky.
Here's a wikipedia link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcanization
Old August 17th, 2012, 05:44 AM
1971 Cutlass S

Originally Posted by WTony
I've done a few of them. Once you get the hang of it, you can do one in a couple of nights while your sitting around watching tv. Probably about 5 hours total?

I will tell you, its hard on the finger tips pushing the needle through the leather.

The wrap is about $20-25 from your local pep boys.

I was actually thinking about posting that I'd start doing it as a service for other Olds guy's who wanted their wheels wrapped, but I dont know how much Id really be able to charge? Plus their would be shipping charges both ways. Might add up to an expensive wrap??
Yes - that is EXACTLY what I am looking for. I like the texture of the leather, and how it fits the wheel.

You don't by any chance remember what brand, or any other info about that wrap do you?
Old August 17th, 2012, 05:45 AM

Mine had been coated or painted with something when I got it, and I was getting sticky and goo from mine. I cleaned it with solvent you use to clean the paint to remove wax, grease etc. I used a fine scotch brite to remove the paint or what ever and got down to the real material, which actually looked pretty good, but most of the grain was gone. Then I sprayed several coats of low gloss interior detailing spray. I let it soak in, wiped it and resprayed several times over a week. It look prettygood and feels fine. On very humid mornings it has a slight stick, but it goes away once the humidity lifts or it gets fresh air.
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:44 AM

If you want the best cover money can buy...WHEELSKINS is what you want! Thick, nice leather, they have only one seam. Many factory covers are made by them (Volvo, SAAB, etc.). They come in a million colors and sizes. You need to know the diam. + width of the wheel rim to get the right size. They make like 3-4 widths, make sure you get the right one. These covers are killer, they pucker nice at the threads if you pull them really tight. It will look like GM made the cover when done. I've been using these for years.
Old August 17th, 2012, 08:50 AM

Snakeskin!

It's already the right size and shape!
Old August 18th, 2012, 02:35 AM
1971 Cutlass S

Well - After reading and looking on the net for days - I went with what it seems like most recommend and bought a Wheelskin. I will post up some pics once I get it and have it on the wheel.
Old August 18th, 2012, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by Octania
Snakeskin!

It's already the right size and shape!
Ha!