General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cant catch a break...

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2012, 12:05 PM

Cant catch a break...

Im quickly getting fed up with this whole experience. If you dont know what i mean, here's the rundown...

First off i got my 455, which was a pretty good deal. It was in great shape (after digging through inches of grime), and after a lot of research i found out it was from a 72' Cutlass since it had notched valve covers and Ga heads. That got me excited and got me wanting a 71/72' Cutlass to drop it in. I saved for months and months, friends and family donating to the cause, putting things off just to save my hard earned money, borrowing money from people to pay back. Then when i felt i had a comfortable amount i went hunting. I looked for just about ever, scanned through and passed on lots of cars until i found the perfect one, and it was in a convenient area because i was going to be taking a trip to near where the car was anyway. The car was a 72' Cutlass fastback, it was on a small car lot, it was in amazing condition, and was very cheap for the condition it was in. I stopped to look at it, gave it a good once-over, loved it, but it was Sunday so the purchase would have to wait. In fact i even got hasseled by a cop who thought i was up to no good poking around a used car lot on a sunday. So anyway, Monday i came back for her. I literally pulled into the parking lot as a kid was handing over a meager $300 downpayment for her. Then to make things worse when i talked to the owner of the place, not only did she inform me that it was an amazing running/driving car and how great of condition it was in, but i also found out that the guy i had been emailing about the car didnt even work for them at all. In fact they had no idea who the person was. I drove 90mph away from that place down all manners of Illinois backroads trying to not destroy the first living thing i saw that offended me in the slightest way...

So my hunt continued. More projects, more duds, more missed opportunities, more people trying to pull one over on me. Of course i even almost fell for that 70' Cutlass gag thats been going around craigslist. You know, the one in immaculate shape for like $4000? One day i get contacted by a guy who has a 72' Supreme (the car i have now, unfortunatly) i go to check it out, im not big into it cause its a Supreme and isnt in the condition i was wanting, but he had an "original" (his words) OAI hood, and it had a steel frame, and everyone told me a hood with a steel frame was a real prize whether it was real or not. Well needless to say i jumped on the car, again unfortunatly. Turns out the guy fed me a load of BS. Even went as far as to say he needed garage space for a 74' he was going to buy soon. He told me the roof had 2 or 3 holes but that a skin woul replace it. When i got it home i found out the roof was completely toast, every last bit of it. And the hood i recently learned is a low-end reproduction and the frame is actually a frame from a normal Cutlass hood...

The car has been for sale for a while and ive pretty much given up the idea of recouping the money i paid for it. I dont have the time or patience to part the car out, which might bring about what i would need out of it but thatd take time, work, haggling, and most likely just end up getting me screwed over even more. At this point im really about over all of this. I was so excited and put so much into this and for it all to get thrown out the door like that, it just makes me sick to my stomach, and almost makes me not ever want to look into this again. Not only do i try to be a stand-up guy, be as informative as possible and look for as fair a deal as possible (even if im the one standing to profit from it), which bugs me when someone who's the complete opposite pulls that crap on me, but also just the fact that people are out there doing this kinda stuff to our hobby, just raping it for profit like that when people are out there who legitimatley care about it on a deeper level than just a financial one. Its just not right. And makes me almost want to call it quits already...

So there it is, there's the story. Not sure why i wrote it, i think its more venting than anything. Thinking if i wrote it all down and got it out there maybe id stop thinking about it so much. Thanks to all who have followed this since the beginning, thanks to all those out there who look beyond the monetary value of this hobby and those who see it on a more way more personal level than profitable level, and thanks to all who took the time to read this, hope i didnt take up too much of your time with my ramblings.

Last edited by Vega; January 10th, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old January 10th, 2012, 12:29 PM

sorry to hear about your troubles but i think most every car guy has been there at one time or another. around 94 i got a 23 T bucket and paid more than i should have. i was very discouraged for a long time when i was trying to sell it. i gave up trying and about 9 months later i listed it again in the old Trader Paper that was in the Indiana area of the time. it sold the first day to a state cop. he didn't even try to talk me down.
just hang in there and something will open up for you. maybe you can save and find another one and use this one for parts for the next one. i am sure that is not what you want to hear but just don't do something drastic that you will later regret. if you have room to store it maybe you can take a brake til spring and revisit it then.
Old January 10th, 2012, 12:42 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Vega
So there it is, there's the story. Not sure why i wrote it, i think its more venting than anything. Thinking if i wrote it all down and got it out there maybe id stop thinking about it so much. Thanks to all who have followed this since the beginning, thanks to all those out there who look beyond the monetary value of this hobby and those who see it on a more way more personal level than profitable level, and thanks to all who took the time to read this, hope i didnt take up too much of your time with my ramblings.
Vega,
I feel really bad about how things turned out for you. I was in fact one of the guys who told you if the car included an original OAI hood with a steel liner that was a great deal for the car. It was possibly an error on my part to think you would know what a complete OAI hood looked like. For that I do sincerely apologize.

Folks, when Vega put the car up for sale I did PM him about buying just the hood since I really would like to get a proper 71/72 OAI for my car. It wasn't until we started exchanging info and pics that the true nature of the hoods origin became known. Vega, I wish this had worked out differently for you, and for me.

I sincerely hope someone comes along who will see the value of the vert and want to restore it. Ownership of classics can be painful $$ draining experiences at times. If you need to vent some more we'll be here to understand.
Old January 10th, 2012, 01:41 PM

Sorry to hear that man. I'm still getting ripped off on my Olds. Still got some more payments to make on it and i cant even drive the damn thing yet! Not only that but i fell behind on a couple payments when i was buying christmas gifts and they called me up and threatened to take the car back if i didnt come in and pay (i only owe like 600 on it now out of the original $2700) and then once it's paid off i have to save up and pay probably half what i paid for the car to get the transmission rebuilt so i can actually drive the thing over 20mph. I was told the vehicle ran and drove just fine when i bought it and like a dumbass just took the guys word for it and signed the paperwork before i found that out cuz i kinda would rather just let them have the pos back since i cant drive it anyways but since all the paperwork was done i was stuck with it. i have terible luck with cars! at least this one hasnt caught on fire yet!
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:04 PM

Yes it does suck not having a uncle like joe p to look at a car with you. We all get down time to time on our toy's. If you do scrap it and start fresh Many Guys on here would help out with the search and take a look at local cars for you to get a second opinion.
My pontiac was not all it was stated to be But My H/o was spot on . There are good sellers out there and a car with your name just sitting there . But it always seems to be that dollar short day late stories don't it. So here is my advice MAN UP AND DEAL WITH IT , DECIDE AND GO FORTH Then sit back and smile at the oats you have grown Good luck and DONT QUITE
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:05 PM

what transmission do you have in it th 350 400 or a th300 two speed ?

Originally Posted by DreWRoolZ
Sorry to hear that man. I'm still getting ripped off on my Olds. Still got some more payments to make on it and i cant even drive the damn thing yet! Not only that but i fell behind on a couple payments when i was buying christmas gifts and they called me up and threatened to take the car back if i didnt come in and pay (i only owe like 600 on it now out of the original $2700) and then once it's paid off i have to save up and pay probably half what i paid for the car to get the transmission rebuilt so i can actually drive the thing over 20mph. I was told the vehicle ran and drove just fine when i bought it and like a dumbass just took the guys word for it and signed the paperwork before i found that out cuz i kinda would rather just let them have the pos back since i cant drive it anyways but since all the paperwork was done i was stuck with it. i have terible luck with cars! at least this one hasnt caught on fire yet!
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:22 PM

well i'm already stuck with it and i do really love the car i mean, that is why i bought it lol it's just nerve racking sometimes. ummm i'm not sure i just know it's called a jetaway hydramatic and the reverse is at the bottom
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

What can you do?

Just chalk it up as an expensive course in the School of Hard Knocks and keep going.

If the car is really not worth fixing, then either keep it for parts for your next one, or sell it, take the loss, and move on. The next one will be better.

Unfortunately, bad crap like this happens.

The one piece of advice I can give you:
Don't go out looking for a car. Let the car find you.

If you're all steamed up about getting a particular type of car, you're much more likely to make this kind of mistake.
If you save up some cash, and then just follow the want ads and Craigslist, every day, just keeping your eyes open, sooner or later, you'll see the one thats for you. If it isn't just right, don't even look at it, just let it go. There are plenty more.
Patience pays when looking for a car. Just wait it out and sooner or later, it will come to you.

- Eric
Old January 10th, 2012, 02:33 PM
car guy

If this was easy everyone could do it. Just take a couple days and take a deep breath. This is just a small bump in the road for a car guy. Take it as a learning experience and move to the next one or bite the bullet and fix this one. How bad is the roof? If the rest is solid a roof is not that hard to replace. Its a good bit of work but a weekend , some air tools, a couple buddies and a welder you can have a roof skin on it.
Old January 10th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

All I can say is two years of e-bay and Craigslist looking for something close where I could look at it in person, made more than one day trip that was unfruitful. Very frustrating to say the least, part of the process. Even though it isn't exactly what I wanted, I AM ENJOYING MINE NOW.
Old January 10th, 2012, 04:07 PM

Don't give up on it yet Vega. I'm new to the game as well and getting the money together was a chore. But it seems to be a series of ebbs and flows...some days you feel like you screwed up and other days you can see real progress and people will come up to you with big smiles on their face put there by your car.

If you find some people here on this site that are local to you, they can give you personal advice on your car and point you to shops that value classics like ours.

Try to post pics of your car on here and the gurus can provide advice on that and what you can do as next steps if you want to keep it or what you should reasonably be asking for if you still want to sell.

Good luck.
Bill
Old January 10th, 2012, 06:08 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by MDchanic
The one piece of advice I can give you:
Don't go out looking for a car. Let the car find you.

- Eric

thats how I got mine, had my dads 71 vert pulled it outta storage after xx years it was in tough shape more project than I wanted, so I hit CL looking for someone elses project that they had lost interest in and maybe had parts I needed or could sell....came across a driver at a project price it was in a neighboring state and I had seen it on CL for a couple weeks, finally I said F it and went to go see it.....thats all it took drove it home and have been working on it and driving it ever since

so dont give up man either put yours on the backburner and keep looking or look for someone elses "lost interest" project to help yours
Old January 10th, 2012, 06:24 PM

Any way you can make the supreme work? is it too far gone? they are not my number one but they can look awesome just the same. Its too bad that we are screwed over by the guy who " was going to restore it but just never got time to it and they hurt their back so they are no longer going to be able to work on it" just as an excuse for them getting rid of their car thats rotted to hell. I had the same situation with my car, where literally everything the owner told me was bs ie. a few pin holes does not mean fist sized holes in my opinion. etc etc. I too went into the olds market with the idea of looking for one specifically so the first one i ever found, i overpaid for. It seems you have been dooped worse than I, sorry to hear that. cut the roof off and stick it in that guys lawn!
Old January 10th, 2012, 07:17 PM

Hey Vega, sorry to hear about your Cutlass Supreme problems. Alot of guys have posted some great info for you
Before this post. We All have been where you are, you will figure this out the way you want to. These people care about you you should relize it and move forward. I saw recently that someone had a 70-72 Supreme roof for sale cheap and they said something about cheap shipping too(can't remember where). Try and keep your chin up, I too have been going through a tough time with major rust on my 71 Supreme. Long story short I found a car on c/list for parts and found a new friend to go halves on it and both got what we needed. Think positive and
You will make it work out.
Old January 10th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

Vega-Lots of good people out here rooting for you-Eric is bang on-let the car find you- it will-Ted
Old January 11th, 2012, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the support guys, helps me stay positive :-)
Im just gonna see what comes of it, dont think i'll recoup what i paid but i'll get what i can. I would consider just restoring it cause everything is there to be restored but im just not going to have the time or money to do it all. Its listed, hopefully it will sell for somewhere near a decent price, then i'll start saving for a driver fastback
Thanks again guys, i appreciate it
Old January 11th, 2012, 08:33 PM

Oh, i dont blame anyone for the hood stuff, sorry if it sounded that way
Old January 11th, 2012, 08:56 PM

Allen R said "I sincerely hope someone comes along who will see the value of the vert and want to restore it."

Is this a convertible or a hardtop supreme?

I remember seeing a convertible in the Indy craigs list for like $1200. I called them about it but they didn't have a title.
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by W70442
Allen R said "I sincerely hope someone comes along who will see the value of the vert and want to restore it."

Is this a convertible or a hardtop supreme?

I remember seeing a convertible in the Indy craigs list for like $1200. I called them about it but they didn't have a title.
Randy,
Vega has a HT. Somehow I got it confused with something else. His car is blue with black vinyl top. Actually a very nice looking car, totally salvagable but needs help. With a little work and creative upholstery it could probably be a DD. I still really hope someone who appreciates it will buy it and restore it.
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:09 PM

Ok. Thanks.
I'm always "kinda" looking for a convertible. Like the other guys say, let the car find you, right? Of coarse, my wife wants a 52 or so chevy pick up. She thinks they're "cute". Who knows what will come next.
Old January 11th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ok. Thanks.
I'm always "kinda" looking for a convertible. Like the other guys say, let the car find you, right? Of coarse, my wife wants a 52 or so chevy pick up. She thinks they're "cute". Who knows what will come next.
My Gawd, it sounds like you're married to my wifes sister!

When the time is right I also will be looking for a vert. Don't know what year yet. It will let me know when I find it and fall in love again....

You check local and regional CL listings regularly? Have a look at John MacNeil's (2blu442) signature picture. It's the most unique vert I've ever seen!
Old January 11th, 2012, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
You check local and regional CL listings regularly? !
Funny, I just clicked over from craigs list cause I noticed I had an email(your reply).

Umm. BTW. Vega, sorry things didn't work out the way you planned on this one. As others have said, there will be others. And because of that, make dang sure it IS the car you REALLY want before committing to buy.

Do your homework cause no body else is going to do it for you. Use the board to ask questions to learn. We like helping when any time we can.

Not sure what the deal/issue with the ram air hood was but, look at it this way, that is now one thing you WON'T get burned on in the future. Lesson learned.

Sorry for stealling the the thread a little.....
Old January 12th, 2012, 02:03 AM

Haha, no, no problem Randy. Actually there was a convertible shell on craigslist for a few weeks with no price, no frame, no drivetrain, just the body and interior. I thought about swapping it onto my frame but figured thatd be giving up one welding job for another haha. I think someone jumped on it cause its gone now, didnt last long either!

There's still an original vert' 70' 442 4-speed at a shop just down the road from me getting the motor fixed. Its way out of my price range and the mechanic says its not for sale anyway, its a sharp car though, i wonder if the owner might let it go if someone gave him the right offer?...
Old January 12th, 2012, 07:25 AM

Vega,

If you're close enough to Louisville, search the Louisville Craigs list for 442 and cutlass. I know there is a 68 442 4 speed for 4800 as well as a few other 442 or cutlass'.
Old January 13th, 2012, 12:54 AM

Vega,

If you're close enough to Louisville, search the Louisville Craigs list for 442 and cutlass. I know there is a 68 442 4 speed for 4800 as well as a few other 442 or cutlass'.
Thanks! Yeah Louisville is in my range so i'll have to check that out. My situation isnt too bad really, even if this Supreme sells for cheap by summer i should be able to search in that price range. Ive seen a lot of drivers for near that price around here
Old January 13th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Administrator

#1, Sorry to hear of your problems Vega. Old cars are not for the weak of heart or pocketbook.

#2, Oldsmobiles mostly are not an investment! "Most" will never recoupe the money it takes to restore and maintain them. In fact most cars will never recoupe that money. We as a group own older cars because... well, because the voices in our heads tell us too! No other way to explain it!

#3, When putting together a budget, figure everything you think the car needs, and after pain stakingly adding all of it up, multiply that number by 2. Because the law of restoration is never an exact science, and the "might as wells" always, and I repeat always, lead you to spend twice as much as you originally figured. Don't ask how I know, just trust me. A good number for the amount of $$$$$ to make a Dailey Driver from a car that needs a thorough going over, is $20k++. That takes into consideration power train, suspension, paint, interior, and a nice set of wheels and tires.

#4, If you are not an experienced mechanic and you need to farm most of the work out, disregard #3, and multiply that number x4! My advice at this point is to save your money and buy a car that has been restored, and capitalize on someone elses depreciation!

#5, If you are married, make sure your spouse is on board and thoroughly likes and understands your plans!!!! This is very important!!

Good luck with what ever direction you head! And, again, I feel our pain!!!
Old January 13th, 2012, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
#1, Sorry to hear of your problems Vega. Old cars are not for the weak of heart or pocketbook.

#2, Oldsmobiles mostly are not an investment! "Most" will never recoupe the money it takes to restore and maintain them. In fact most cars will never recoupe that money. We as a group own older cars because... well, because the voices in our heads tell us too! No other way to explain it!

#3, When putting together a budget, figure everything you think the car needs, and after pain stakingly adding all of it up, multiply that number by 2. Because the law of restoration is never an exact science, and the "might as wells" always, and I repeat always, lead you to spend twice as much as you originally figured. Don't ask how I know, just trust me. A good number for the amount of $$$$$ to make a Dailey Driver from a car that needs a thorough going over, is $20k++. That takes into consideration power train, suspension, paint, interior, and a nice set of wheels and tires.

#4, If you are not an experienced mechanic and you need to farm most of the work out, disregard #3, and multiply that number x4! My advice at this point is to save your money and buy a car that has been restored, and capitalize on someone elses depreciation!

#5, If you are married, make sure your spouse is on board and thoroughly likes and understands your plans!!!! This is very important!!

Good luck with what ever direction you head! And, again, I feel our pain!!!
X2 Well Said
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:03 AM

X3. Counterintuitive, but the best car if on a budget is often the most expensive one. Especially true if the project option needs paint/bodywork.

Others would disagee, but keep a reliable daily driver in your budget too. Fuel costs alone often make an old car impractible for every day use, not to mention "down time" due to planned and unplanned repairs/projects. That said, a driver quality classic plus a 5 yr old economical DD are usually cheaper than just about any new car. That's what I tell my wife anyway...
Old January 13th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by hookem horns
... a driver quality classic plus a 5 yr old economical DD are usually cheaper than just about any new car.
Understatement.

I hear coworkers in relatively low-paid positions throwing $15,000 to $30,000 for cars regularly.
Think of the low-mile driver-quality cars, with full amenities like A/C and power steering, that you could buy for a fraction of that, and then maintain for less, too (what's a set of points and condenser cost compared to some "sensor" or "module"?).

You can do okay buying cheap older cars, and use a fraction of the money you save to buy the extra gas.

- Eric
Old January 14th, 2012, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
X2 Well Said
X4 I was thinking the same thing because I'm going through that with mine right now.