General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Carfax

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2012, 08:23 AM

Carfax

Can anyone run a carfax?

I have a 1995 Olds that caught my eye.

Thanks.
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I think you need to change the title of the thread. Lots of people know what CARFAX is and will probably just bypass. Suggest :Need someone to run a CARFAX for me, Please?"

I ran a CARFAX on my 95 Regency. It wasn't expensive.

Last edited by Allan R; March 10th, 2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old March 9th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

+1.

Descriptive titles are very helpful.

That's why there's a Title field.

I won't elaborate, though, as I don't want the thread to be locked, and I'm already half-loaded .

- Eric
Old March 10th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Just thought of something. Once the thead has been posted, the title cannot be changed unless you have a Mod do it.
Old March 10th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Just show me the CarFax!

- Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Angry Fox.jpg (17.6 KB, 51 views)
Old March 10th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Just show me the CarFax!

- Eric
Yikes! Right away SIR!
Old March 10th, 2012, 01:55 PM

From prevoius experience, Carfax reports are pretty worthless. My present daily car had a wreck where the hood and fender were replaced. Carfax listed ten different accidents on it. Refinanced another car through my credit union, and showed up as four different owners. Buddy of mine, had his rear bumper replaced, when someone backed into him. Showed up as three different wrecks. Long as the repairs are done correctly, who cares.
Old March 10th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Just an Olds Guy

DeltaPace77, Everyone has their opinion. Not saying you're wrong or right for the most part. But I have to ask. From the information CARFAX provided, how is that useless? It gave you information you didn't know before. The reports aren't there to guarantee the quality of the car, they only report the known or reported history of the car. Lastly, if you don't value CARFAX reports, why did you get one? I've had CARFAX reports run and they told me nothing - just like you claim. So I called them up and said so. They refunded my money. Don't see how they aren't user friendly from my side of the coin.

I do agree with you that if you're not going to use the CARFAX information when you buy a car, it is worthless. Given identical cars and situations, a car you know has been repaired properly is likely as good as one that hasn't needed repair at all. CARFAX is a service, not a requirement.

For most of us CARFAX is used only as good indicator - that's all. You mean to say you could care less if the vehicle was identified as a flood salvage or written off, but being sold as a pristine gramma car? IMO CARFAX can also be a negotiating tool for price based on the info thats there. My 98's CARFAX report showed previous registrations and mileages. Guess what? The mileages didn't match the car. Did further investigation and found out the car had been in a speedo rollback (supposedly impossible for newer car, right?) fraud. Also showed me where the car lived for most of its previous life - in a known 'rust belt'. Should have walked away from that car, but I had an unhealty personal attachment to wanting it. Turned out to be one of the worst buying decisions of my life. Should have put more value in the CARFAX report than I did.

All radioburningchrome is trying to do is 'due diligence' to check out the car and hopefully ensure it's a decent one. I would do that too. I appreciate his situation and if I had leftover CARFAX reports to use, I'd do one for him on the car he's interested in. rbc, one thing you can also do is drop by a local GM dealership and ask them to run the vehicle service history and list any outstanding warranty or recalls. That should be free.

Also, FWIW? Many of the dealers up here order CARFAX reports for their used vehicles so online buyers can review the vehicle registrations and history before hitting the lot. I've seen several cars that still have outstanding liens and OOP registrations. Up here, probably like down there, that's a red flag.
Old March 10th, 2012, 05:36 PM

I consider it worthless, as it's mostly false in mine and my friends experience. One wreck on my car and showed ten. A bent bumper on my buddys car, and showed three wrecks. One owner of a car with a refinance, and showed four owners. How the heck is any of this meaningful.
Old March 28th, 2012, 05:15 PM

I broke down and paid for the 4 reports at $44.

A few cars I looked at did have a "free" report.

Two of the reports I looked at had me confused.

All part of the learning process.