General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Cars That Inspire Awe

Search this Thread

Old November 1st, 2012, 10:50 AM

Cars That Inspire Awe

Ever buy a car that seemed so special, it just was almost breathtaking? I remember a couple, but one of the most memorable was when I found a 62 Olds Starfire convertible in a barn in Maple Ridge BC in the mid eighties. My buddy was living there and someone had it stored. I tracked down the original owner and bought it for $500. Couldn't put it on the road, as the frame was rotted and I was too young to deal with it, but I remember being awe struck by the beautiful huge chrome side trim, the leather buckets, console and tach, posi rear end and cool tail lights. We didn't have anything like that in Canada. The owner said he'd had to go to the States to buy it new in 62. I ended up selling it to a guy who was going to restore it, but always wished that I'd found a way to fix it.
I've had other Starfires since then, but not quite the same. 62 hardtop, 63 rag and 65 hardtop. Somehow the 62 rag memory just never seems to go away.
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:10 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think the 62 Starfire is one of the prettiest Oldsmobiles ever made but they need to be black with red leather. I would love to have one.
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by redoldsman
I think the 62 Starfire is one of the prettiest Oldsmobiles ever made but they need to be black with red leather. I would love to have one.
Absolutely !!
I might even settle for burgandy with black leather. My last one was robin's egg blue, and it just didn't work for me.
Old November 1st, 2012, 12:37 PM
Oldsdruid

Red/burgundy/black are too common. Anymore to see them at shows you'd think those were the only colors they made.

Me, I think a flashy car like a Starfire needs a flashy color to go with it. The definitive 1962 color for me is Sunset Mist body and roof with either burgundy or silver leather. It just screams 60s style. Pacific Mist with white roof and silver gut is a close second.

64 wears all its colors well but to me looks especially good in Tahitian Yellow with white interior or Midnight Mist with white or blue interior.

The one that jars me is the saddle interior on 63-64. I like Saddle Mist exterior, but that saddle brown interior just does not do it for me.

But that's just me.

Last edited by rocketraider; November 1st, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old November 1st, 2012, 12:41 PM

Dad bought a new 66 starfire. Target red/red interior.
When you mention awe inspiring cars though, I think of smartcars and think, awe what did they do that for?
Old November 1st, 2012, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by mike's88
When you mention awe inspiring cars though, I think of smartcars and think, awe what did they do that for?
You sure know how to ruin the mood. My bubble just burst...
Old November 1st, 2012, 02:33 PM

I have a '62 ragtop, but it is not a Starfire. It is a Dynamic 88. In fact our car is featured in the Nov. issue of Journey With Olds, on page 8!