General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Differential ID

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2014, 11:19 AM

Differential ID

I have noticed a lot of posts from newbies and old hands alike relating to identifying the differential under their car (or sitting on the ground somewhere).
I think we, as one of the premier Oldsmobile information sites on the Internet, should create a differential identification page. This would be a very useful resource for the many people who are asking the same questions that have been asked so many times before.

I can supply pictures and ID information for several models of O-Type rears and the 1971 corporate 10 bolt rear, and I am sure other members have similar info for other year rears.

Thoughts?
Old August 7th, 2014, 02:19 PM
Trying to remember member

I suggest that anyone so motivated help develop a differential ID section of the AHPS library at Wild About Cars.
That is whole purpose of the library, to capture, document, digitally preserve, and make available all aspects of Automotive History.
Classic Oldsmobile is a forum, not a repository of information. If the Classic Olds membership would just understand the dynamics and work together with the Automotive History Preservation Society with their Library, everyone involved would benefit. But it takes working together to make that happen.
Old August 7th, 2014, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
Classic Oldsmobile is a forum, not a repository of information.
I disagree with this statement. There is a wealth of information available here, therefore categorizing it as a "repository of information". Do an internet search for a particular Olds related topic and you get multiple hits for CO and nothing for Wild About Cars. I can barely even find info on that site when I'm actively looking for something in particular.

But whatever. All I wanted to do was try to help people from getting the same inaccurate information I see every time someone asks about a rear, and prevent those with the knowledge from having to post the same information over and over again.
Old August 7th, 2014, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I disagree with this statement. There is a wealth of information available here, therefore categorizing it as a "repository of information". Do an internet search for a particular Olds related topic and you get multiple hits for CO and nothing for Wild About Cars. I can barely even find info on that site when I'm actively looking for something in particular.

But whatever. All I wanted to do was try to help people from getting the same inaccurate information I see every time someone asks about a rear, and prevent those with the knowledge from having to post the same information over and over again.
You just confirmed what I said. That is why questions are asked over and over again. Because a forum is for discussions not for housing information. Please broaden your thinking and think about the nature of the both CO and the AHPS library. They are not simply two different sources of information. That is very narrow minded thinking. They are 2 different entities that work 2 different ways. And they work much better together than they do separately in total. It should not be that hard to understand. Where do you think "those with knowledge" get their knowledge? Even the most knowledgeable don't have it all in their heads. They gave resources. Education starts with sharing resources.
Old August 7th, 2014, 06:34 PM

^^^ x2
Old August 8th, 2014, 09:02 AM

So no differential ID page? Oh well.
Old August 8th, 2014, 09:28 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Monzaz (jim) put one together a long time ago for us. Part numbers, measurements and everything.

JDrace.com

It's good to remind people that this stuff is out there.
Old August 8th, 2014, 09:37 AM

Looks like.... you're elected!
Start by steal^H^H^H^H sampling from that ID page I found and posted a link to earlier. I have some of the carrier number to what fits it info, including that "700" carrier I just extracted that fits 68-70 Big Car 98 and BB-88 cars but ONLY using the 2.56:1 ratio and no other ratios at all.

Please use proper annotation for ratios when you build this page too.
i.e.,
2.56 or 2.56:1
not 2:56, which literally means two turns of one shaft to 56 turns of the other.
Old August 8th, 2014, 10:05 AM

Site being rebuilt. Here is the "old" site information. I find this to be pretty good information.

http://www.oldsmobility.com/old/reardiffs.htm
Old August 8th, 2014, 10:12 AM

Yes, the oldsmobility site and the JDrace site have some good info, but neither is complete with the most basic information of how to tell an 8.2" 10 bolt rearend from an 8.5" 10 bolt rearend. All that stuff about diff cover shape, ears vs. tangs, etc. is not as definitive as the ribs on the side of the housing. Just having a simple side-by-side pic of that would go a long way to clearing up the confusion about how to tell one rearend from the other.

8.5" 10 bolt with two parallel ribs:

8.2" Buick 10 bolt with one rib:

8.2" Pontiac 10 bolt with two converging ribs:

Last edited by Fun71; August 8th, 2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old August 8th, 2014, 10:31 AM

I have no problem with a help page here, it keeps you from having to jump from one site to another, and as much as I am on the Wild About Cars site, it can be a pain to navigate and to find what you are looking for. I appreciate to effort put into that site by Kurt, Bob G. and many others, but no one should be rebuffed here for not going to that site.
Old August 8th, 2014, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Fun71
So no differential ID page? Oh well.
I didn't say there was. You are not understanding what I am saying. You said "......should create a differential identification page". Those are your words. I'm saying the AHPS Library is the place to put that information. Most of the "raw data" is already there. What needs to be done is for someone to put the information together in a "id guide" form. Not only can the guide be set up, sources for the information can be linked giving authority and accuracy to the compiled information. Picture and any other supporting info can be included.
The guys at the AHPS can set up the space on the site to post the information. That's what the Library is all about. It is a collaborative effort. So as Octania says, "you're elected" or anyone else is always welcomed to help build the library with all sorts of information. Already AHPS has tons more info to get posted. What is needed are those motivated enough to help scan, organize and post the info.