General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Engine Periodically not starting.

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2023, 09:54 PM

Engine Periodically not starting.

Hi so i’ve had my 2002 Oldsmobile intrigue GLS since July 2022, it was working great til May 2023 i go into a store and come out and my car is cranking but not giving that satisfactory start up. I sat for about 20 minutes that day and it eventually started up and i went home. It started stalling at intersections and i took it to the auto shop, they kept it for a month and said it never turned off on them. It started doing it to me at intersections way more frequently and i didn’t drive it for about 2 months. I took it to a different place and it didn’t turn off on them and they said something about an air cap not being fully on and that could possibly be it. I drove it all around that day (PS my engine light is finally turned off) It didn’t do anything. Well today i go into the store maybe 10 ish minutes and it’s not starting. Waited a couple minutes and it started. My car is over 100,000 miles and i’m thinking of replacing the spark plugs, my mom says she thinks it has something to do with the fuel. Please with this Info can someone give me good advice i know there could be many possibilities but if someone has dealt with the same thing pls help me. Would changing the fuel injectors be worth it or should i start with my spark plugs. ANY INFO OR ADVICE WILL HELP.
Old December 23rd, 2023, 03:16 AM

The next time the engine fails to start, turn the key to the RUN position. You should hear the fuel pump prime the system. You can then use a small screwdriver to depress the schraeder valve in the engine compartment. You should have fuel squirt out of the schraeder valve. (make sure you have a rag handy).

I don't suggest replacing the fuel injectors. At 100k+ miles your OE fuel injectors should still be fine. It's better preventative maintenance to replace the spark plugs, spark plug wires and fuel filter.
Old December 23rd, 2023, 04:59 AM
Lansing built

As Olds 64 said check for fuel pump cycling with key on. Depending on your on ears and background noise or get a friend to listen by the fuel cap. When you confirm everything is working, I have seen fuel pressure regulators cause a long crank before starting.

Pat
Old December 23rd, 2023, 06:14 AM

Has anyone put a code reader on this car? Certainly some fault should pop up that might give an indication of what could be the problem. Autozone and other shops will come out to your car in the parking lot and hook up their code reader at no charge. Might be worth doing if you trust the car to get you there and home again.
Old December 23rd, 2023, 07:03 AM

If the ignition key has a chip on it, try a different key.
Old December 23rd, 2023, 08:04 AM
Old School Olds

You may want to change your fuel filter.
https://www.autozone.com/filters-and...obile/intrigue
Old December 23rd, 2023, 07:20 PM

Yes i’ve taken it to autozone. No other code beside p0410 came up.
Old December 23rd, 2023, 07:26 PM

Does the key have a chip on its side?
Old December 23rd, 2023, 07:56 PM
72Cutlass S

A few things to observe when the issue occurs. First turn off all accessories so it is as quiet as possible in the cabin. Turn the key to run and make sure the check engine light comes on this proves that the PCM is powering up. While you look at that listen for the fuel pump, it should run for about 3 seconds to prime the system. Next when you crank the engine over the check engine light should go out, this proves that the PCM is receiving a signal from the crankshaft position sensor. If any of these three things aren’t happening. The engine will not start. Spark plugs, injectors or fuel filters typically will not cause what you are describing. Sometimes in tank fuel pumps will stick on restart and not run. You can check this by having someone crank the engine over while you rap on the bottom of the fuel with a rubber mallet. If it starts there you go it is new fuel pump time.
Old December 23rd, 2023, 09:15 PM

Hi, thank you for that info it seems promising. I’m pretty new with cars so what do you mean by stuck on restart? And will there be no noise if it is?
Old December 24th, 2023, 05:28 AM
72Cutlass S

The fuel pump is a rotary type pump. When they get older sometimes they will stick and not turn when commanded on.This usually happens when the fuel tank is refilled after enough driving to get the fuel in the tank and the pump nice and warm. The fresh load of cold fuel causes the pump seize temporarily. Usually a tap on the fuel tank while the pump is energized will break it loose and it runs again.