General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

exhaust noise unbearable at certain speeds

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2013, 03:33 PM

exhaust noise unbearable at certain speeds

I recently finished my 7 year restoration of my 1967 olds cutlass supreme sports coupe, and thoroughly enjoy driving it except at 50 to 55 mph. that is when I hear a constant drone from exhaust system. the motor is an olds 350 with mild cam 2 something rear gears and a 2.5 inch pypes exhaust system. below and above said speeds the sound is pleasant not distracting, unfortunately when i am cruising that is the speed i like to drive. is this something i should expect or are pypes mufflers known for this, thanks in advance.
Old September 21st, 2013, 04:21 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

You've got one of those "X" crossovers, don't you?

That's what they do.

You pretty much either have to change your exhaust system, or create and install a Heimholtz resonator, as in this post, as far as I know.

- Eric
Old September 21st, 2013, 06:59 PM
same but different

You must be in some harmonic resonant rainbow. You've found that spot.

I know its obnoxious sometimes. It might a go away when everything sets in, but probably not. It might just move around the rpm scale depending on what changes you make to your car in the future.

I have an ancient exhust system. Its been there(the drone) at some point one way or another. With headers and without. I've been running the same mufflers and 2 1/2'' pipes since 97. California boss turbos by thrush..er AKA walkers. No X pipe here.

It changed when I went to a different rear gear, form 2.56 to 3.23. Its still there don't get me wrong but only a short time, as the trans is shifting much sooner. The power band is different now in the rpm range.

I should mention this too. I have an aftermarket sunroof in my Cutlass S. The obnoxious exhaust drone was all ways worse when it was open. Still is....
Old September 22nd, 2013, 04:52 AM

thanks

Yes they are x pipes, and who would of thought exhaust would be soo complicated. I tried to find this topic by searching the site, I guess i did not word it correctly. i built my first transmission which is a powerglide that i am currently using with an adapter plate, but i think I will install a 200 r 4 which I also have, thinking that will change the rpm at cruizing speed which hopefully will put the drone at a different speed hopefully one i do not sustain for a long time, thank you for the links and the replies.
Old September 22nd, 2013, 07:43 AM
Administrator

Probably be less expensive to just change mufflers.