General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

gas tank and fuel hose

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2012, 08:45 PM

gas tank and fuel hose

83 Delta 88 307
I'm in the process of cleaning up and painting the frame and underside of the car. I ended up dropping the gas tank because there was fuel vapors coming from the top side of the seam around the tank. I bought a new tank and just have a couple of questions before i install it.
From what I've read, it's not totally necessary to paint the new tank as it has a nickel-terne coating on it. I'm sure in time it will wear off and begin to corrode as the old tank did but how long can i expect it to hold up leaving it as is? Considering it was nearly 30 years old and the top side never painted, the old tank wasn't that bad. I should mention the car is a daily driver and may see the occasional salted road.
Second issue, I'm debating whether i should change the sending unit while it's accessible. It has 3 lines, one is the main fuel line, a vapor line and a fuel or vapor return line? (it's difficult to see but i think the return is from the fuel pump) The short hoses connecting the sending unit to the metal lines were not in bad condition. The main line had the original fluroelastomer hose and it is still flexible and looks new. The other two smaller hoses look like regular fuel hose and have softened a little but not leaking. I'd like to change all 3 but what type of hoses should i replace these with? I think regular fuel line will degrade so i would like to use hoses that have a better chance of surviving a long time as the originals did. Any suggestions on what type of hose to use?

Thanks in advance for any help

-Rob
Old September 16th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Rob,
The general rule of changing tanks is also change the sender. As far as hoses go? I would replace them with the same type of rubber hoses that are in there now.

I would not paint the tank.

I'm going through all this too with my 72 Cutlass. It is NOT a DD though. In the winter if you're experiencing those salty roads, just make sure you pressure wash the bottom of the car periodically to rinse that crud off.
Old September 16th, 2012, 10:31 PM

Rob, I just replaced my gas tank today and I did not paint it because I like the new look the old tank was never painted and it still was very solid for a 40 year tank but I found out it had a crack and fuel would drip very slowly.. I did not replace the fuel sender because it looked good and my gauge was always accurate.. Hope I don't regret it later. As for fuel line most auto part store carry the ones that are made for today's stronger fuel.. The auto part store I go to did not have the regular fuel lines all he hade were the one for fuel injection cars but he said that there the same only stronger and cost a little more..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_00000078.jpg (67.8 KB, 28 views)
IMG_00000079.jpg (75.1 KB, 30 views)
IMG_00000085.jpg (48.4 KB, 24 views)
IMG_00000082.jpg (51.1 KB, 23 views)
Old September 17th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Administrator

The fuel injection hose is perfect. It will stand up better than the old stock type hoses.
Old September 17th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Al, I ended up buying a Spectra Premium GM34R for my car. I don't recognize the Golden star brand. Where did you get it, and is it competitive with price and quality? Good choice on the fuel hose too. More new hoses sold at auto stores are that type now.
Old September 17th, 2012, 12:55 PM

Hi Allan, the tank is got I'm pretty happy with it the quality is good and the price was fair.. 165.00 and free shipping. I saw this tank on ebay and noticed that the seller was a shop down the street from me so I asked them if I purchased it can it be delivered to them so I can inspect it as I know it can get damage and they said ok.. The only down side was in hade to pay taxes on it because I'm in California and so is the seller although the tank is shipped from texas over all I'm happy everything went smoothly and the tank fit like a glove..simple jod too the hardest thing was getting all the gas out and trying to make the tank as light as possible..it's a one man job but if you got a friend that can help better.. There Web Site is www.mattsclassicbowtie.com in Dublin California ... item # GT04-703
Old September 17th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good info. I just went through all that myself too. Found a trick for siphoning if you ever need it again. Get a piece of hose 5' should do. Cut a small slit that is just big enough to insert the air blow tool from your air compressor. When the hose is fully in the tank, insert the air tool in the slit and let 'er rip. This creates a venturi that sucks the fuel better than using your mouth. I found that trick in the CSM and from one of my neighbors who used to be a wrench puller.

BTW, nice looking car although I'm somewhat surprised at the wheels since the rest of the car looks pretty much stock. Alls good though, wheels are a personal thing.
Old September 17th, 2012, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the input, guys. I was thinking about using the fuel injection hose since it's thicker and stronger than regular fuel hose, hopefully it'll last longer because of this. Would I just use the regular spring type clamps that are used for fuel lines? I guess the clamps would have to be slightly bigger diameter than the original if i'm using a thicker fuel injection hose.
As far as the tank, I got a spectra GM411A. Did a little research before i got it, seemed to be decent. Paid somewhere around $140.
Crazy to think that filling up this 24 gal tank after it's installed could be $100 with today's gas prices!
Old September 17th, 2012, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the tip I hope I never have to change that tank ever for I still taste super unleaded and thanks for the complement on the car the wheels just make it stand out but I hope to someday get some 15x8 crime stock ralleys
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Forgive me, but what exactly are
crime stock ralleys
I'm betting chrome stock rallye? Other wise I'm putting wheel locks on all my rallye wheels!
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:56 PM

I hate this computer and the spell check.. Always changing the words on me I meant chrome stock ralleys.. There on my Christmas list maybe santa will leave some under my Christmas tree