General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How did this car not sell?

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2013, 06:40 PM
"Trying to fix her right"

How did this car not sell?

So I'm watching the Mecum auction in KC last weekend, and a 71 Cutlass Supreme 442 W-30 replica comes up for auction. Now we all know Olds never made a 442 CS hardtop, let alone a W-30. This car was absolutely beautiful, but it is a CS at best. This car got a lot of love from the bidders and eventually gets to $37.000. Then to my astonishment, it doesn't sell and goes to the bid goes on. Are 71 CS hardtops worth this much money? This car is a replica of a car that Oldsmobile never made. Then is it actually replica then? humm...I can't imagine the owner had that much money into the car that he wouldn't take $37.000. A 71 CS convert 442 W-30 replica maybe. Am I way off on this or should have it sold for that much?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (88.2 KB, 203 views)
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:53 PM

I completely agree with your take but who knows how much that guy has in that car. I bet over 50k easily that paint still looks wet. I like Supremes but admit they aren't for everyone but that car looks awesome. Again just cause someone has 10k or 100k of cash in a car doesn't mean that car is worth 2k to those bidding.

I'd say one would be hard pressed to build that car for 37k
Old April 30th, 2013, 07:05 PM

My first car was a CS so I love them too. Your probably right with your 50k estimate. I'm not lying, this car was beautiful. The paint was probably the nicest paint job I've seen.
Old April 30th, 2013, 07:11 PM

I believe that is the same car that didn't sell in Houston 3 weeks earlier at $34k. I saw it in person. I was shocked that the bid went that high. It was shiny, but i didn't think it was done all that well (besides the obvious being built on the wrong body style issue).
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:10 PM

& when it doesn't sell
There is NO guarantee that there were any bids near the last figure rattled off by the auctioneer ..... they're looking for that next bidder to be the one that "WINS" the auction.
Old May 1st, 2013, 04:12 AM

What a circus. Bring a bunch of guys with a lot of money around. Give um some free drink passes to loosen the money up. Hype average cars to new extremes. And a fool and his money are soon parted. Or in this case not. Maybe it was the owner who had the free drink passes?
Old May 1st, 2013, 05:15 AM
delete

Originally Posted by 69ho aurora
I was shocked that the bid went that high. It was shiny, but i didn't think it was done all that well (besides the obvious being built on the wrong body style issue).
That is the thing. What looks great on TV under the bright lights might lose its luster in person. This car hit on one of my pet peeves and that is putting 442 emblems on hard top Supremes. Nothing says well done clone like the wrong body style. $37K seems like strong money for that car if you consider that a nicely restored Supreme done stock brings low $20's and a real deal SX would prob push to get to $37K.
Old May 1st, 2013, 05:16 AM

I wouldn't sell mine for 37K, and it doesn't look anywhere near that one....
Old May 1st, 2013, 06:41 AM

cutlass

that car looks better than this new junk they over price at the car lots.
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Another fine example of a car is only worth what someone is willing to stroke a check for vs what an owner is willing to accept. That car needs 1 buyer that will fall in love, and apparently has not found it yet.

In most cases the old saying about "there is in A$$ for every seat" eventually applies,
Old May 1st, 2013, 07:30 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Another fine example of a car is only worth what someone is willing to stroke a check for vs what an owner is willing to accept. That car needs 1 buyer that will fall in love, and apparently has not found it yet.

In most cases the old saying about "there is in A$$ for every seat" eventually applies,
What it really needs is two buyers to fall in love with it and bid against each other until the price reaches some insane price. That is when the free drinks really start working.
Old May 1st, 2013, 12:58 PM
Runner

I saw it in person as well (I have more pictures I'll see if I can upload later). It was definitely nice, but for that price I would rather by a real 442 in a little worse condition.

As mentioned, a car is worth as much as someone is willing to pay.
Old May 1st, 2013, 01:24 PM

It probably has never had a REAL bid. The auction knows the guy needs close to $40k and they "FISH" somewhere close. The hook was baited, but no nibblers.
A lot of the TV auctions are smoke and mirrors---don't believe everything you see or here.
Old May 1st, 2013, 06:15 PM

I am a fan of how the ram air hood matches up with the rear sail panel, very sharp. But when the red fenderwells and W30 badges appear, nope.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:03 AM
Runner

Here are some more pics I took of the car. Definitely nice job with the restoration

zWuzMVW.jpg
HFx8umH.jpg
Rjc3KcK.jpg
(baby not included)

This 69 Post 442 went up to 20,000 before the bidding stopped (didn't sell). But if I would have been in the market I would have rather bid on this.
UNiBYVQ.jpg
Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:57 AM

Whats funny is all that attention to detail and then there are buick rims on it ,see the curve on the spoke
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:18 AM

Still a nice looking car, heck if you are going to take a Supreme and make it into something it never was why not make it a W30. Personally I wouldn't spend the money on a car like that, maybe do it myself for the fun of it, but I'd rather spend the 40k on a real 442 or SX or 20k on a cool Cutlass post car.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:34 AM

It takes the same amount to restore a "fake" as it does to restore a "real" car. The price of the "starter car" will usually be higher for a real car, especially a documented one, and the specific "W" parts will be a little more if some of them are missing. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the time and money invested in a restoration is better suited towards a REAL car. When it comes time to sell, you'll understand my point even better.
The above car does look sharp, BUT, c'mon, the Buick wheels, the underside of the hood, the fact of the wrong body style to begin with.....
I reiterate my earlier post about the auction smoke and mirrors. There is more invested in this car than a bidder (so far) is willing to pay, AND the auction starts the bidding at a price closer to what the seller's reserve is, than what a bidder or buyer is willing to pay.
I'm not knocking the car too much, it does look sharp, but if it were a hardtop, or a post model, I think there would be more interest in the neighborhood of the seller's reserve.
And, one more thing, a car that has been to several auctions, and not sold, can get what those who attend a lot of the auctions call "Freezer Burn". It gets seen so many times by the same people, that anyone that HAD interest in it, probably has lost that interest. Why? Because they know the reserve is set too high. A good way for that car to sell is to start the bidding low, almost ridiculously low, and get many bidders and see if two guys let their ego take over (especially if the auction has free drinks).
Old May 2nd, 2013, 08:50 AM

Dave I certainly agree with your statements. Though, I can understand how someone just might do a car up the way they wanted which just may be the way the majority don't want it to be . And just cause they spent 40k on it and feel its worth 60k doesn't mean it will even come close to a 20k sale. One day I hope to do a car up just like this one knowing it won't be worth what I put into it but I suspect by then I'll either be old and smart enough not to do it or so poor I can't.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:13 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I will never do it but I have always thought it would be cool to do a Rallye 350 wagon and convertible. Then I could have two of none.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 09:25 AM

Anyone wanna buy a 1969 CS ?
I might have to sell it at these prices

Mike.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 05:38 PM

Nice pics joffroi, the car does look beautiful, although the young man in the stroller is much more handsome .

I wonder if the seller would have used all the 442 and W-30 parts on a S body or convertible, if he would of had such a hard time selling his car then. I like the car, but no one is going to spend 40-50k on a "none off" car. I would buy it for maybe 20k.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 05:41 PM

I would do a car the same way, but obviously not put the 442 or W-30 emblems on it.
Old May 5th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by dfire25
This car is a replica of a car that Oldsmobile never made. Then is it actually replica then? humm...
Mr. Webster would suggest that the definition of "replica" (as well as "clone") means that the object is a copy of something that actually existed. Clearly this car is neither replica nor clone. In the street rod world these are called "phantoms", meaning it is a fabricated car that the factory never built but could have. Similar to 442 Vista Cruisers and Oldsmobile El Caminos.
Old May 5th, 2013, 03:06 PM

Car at Mecum?

I could be wrong but I think this is the same car that was at Mecum. It makes you wonder how the bid was close to the asking price and why the seller wouldn't take such a close offer. Makes me wonder if the auction bid was real?

http://www.wagnersclassiccars.com/in...442-w-30-clone
Old May 5th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Thats it.
Old May 5th, 2013, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Propaneking
I could be wrong but I think this is the same car that was at Mecum. It makes you wonder how the bid was close to the asking price and why the seller wouldn't take such a close offer. Makes me wonder if the auction bid was real?

http://www.wagnersclassiccars.com/in...442-w-30-clone

Easy!! None of the highest bids on the car at auction are REAL!!