General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How do I change Transmission Modulator??

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2012, 10:51 AM

How do I change Transmission Modulator??

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me how I change the trasmission modulator? Its a 72 442 with a 350/350. I think I found the modulator, near the tail end of the transmission, sort-of on the top, on the passenger side.

I can't figure out how to get the dang thing off though. Do I need to move the cross-member? How is the modulator attached to the transmission, I can't see any bolts or anything.

Any help would be very much appreciated. The more details, the better. Thanks!!!!

Last edited by MaxDog; September 9th, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old September 9th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MaxDog
Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me how I change the trasmission modulator? Its a 72 442 with a 350/350. I think I found the modulator, near the tail end of the transmission, sort-of on the top, on the passenger side.

I can't figure out how to get the dang thing off though. Do I need to move the cross-member? How is the modulator attached to the transmission, I can't see any bolts or anything.

Any help would be very much appreciated. The more details, the better. Thanks!!!!
There's a small flat clamp that holds the modulator to the trans case. One bolt retains the clamp. Just remove the bolt and clamp and pull the modulator straight out. It will likely be difficult to pull out because the o-ring seal gets hard over time. Also, have a drip pan ready to catch any trans fluid that comes out. Slide the new modulator in (after lubing the o-ring with trans fluid, reinstall the clamp, tighten the bolt, connect vacuum line.
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
There's a small flat clamp that holds the modulator to the trans case. One bolt retains the clamp. Just remove the bolt and clamp and pull the modulator straight out. It will likely be difficult to pull out because the o-ring seal gets hard over time. Also, have a drip pan ready to catch any trans fluid that comes out. Slide the new modulator in (after lubing the o-ring with trans fluid, reinstall the clamp, tighten the bolt, connect vacuum line.
Do I need to move the cross-member? Thanks.
Old September 19th, 2012, 11:06 PM

You do not have to remove the cross member to remove the vacuum modulator. Check out the attached picture to make sure you are removing the correct part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BOP TH350.jpg (39.5 KB, 63 views)
Old September 21st, 2012, 09:45 AM
Registered car nut

FYI try and get a new hose with the new modulator.
Really hard to find that formed hose local. At least for me it was.

Boy the modulator in that picture is huge!