General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

"Hurst/Olds" from SEMA

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2016, 11:39 AM
Old(s) Fart

"Hurst/Olds" from SEMA

Not feeling the love. $10 says that's not an Olds motor in it (thought I'd be OK with a DRCE...).

Old November 2nd, 2016, 11:46 AM

umm, ewww
Old November 2nd, 2016, 12:52 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Being twin turbo'd my guess is it's LS powered.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 12:54 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
Being twin turbo'd my guess is it's LS powered.
I know, but one can hope. Besides, this is SEMA. I believe it's the law that everything needs to be LS powered.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 12:57 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I know, but one can hope. Besides, this is SEMA. I believe it's the law that everything needs to be LS powered.
In this day and age I agree,I can't believe the amount of LS powered mustangs running around out there.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 02:23 PM
344879M363895

This looks like something going to make a run at the salt flats and after a quick tire change, the dirt track oval.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 02:23 PM

Naaah, remember Joe, last year Nick Filippides of American Racing Headers brought his Olds powered 64 Cutlass to SEMA.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 02:54 PM
1971 442 conv

What does it take to get tickets to SEMA for someone that does not have an automotive related business?
Old November 2nd, 2016, 03:19 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Texas442
What does it take to get tickets to SEMA for someone that does not have an automotive related business?
Bribery?
Old November 2nd, 2016, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Cash, lots of cash...
Old November 2nd, 2016, 05:19 PM
Auto Enthusiast

Nice tribute the Hurst/Olds fans, I like it!!
Old November 2nd, 2016, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by 1974IndyDelta12345
Nice tribute the Hurst/Olds fans, I like it!!
Umm, I'm not into the Hurst/Olds, but that has got to be the gayest tribute I have ever seen! I hope your kidding
Old November 2nd, 2016, 05:54 PM
Auto Enthusiast

Not kidding at all. H/O's have not been produced since 1988 and may of the younger car enthusiasts have not heard or seen them. Anything that increases awareness of these great cars is good in my book. Just like houses, there is car for every personality out there. Ridiculing or making fun of the vision of someone else is mean and rude. (Not to mention homophobic)
Old November 2nd, 2016, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by 1974IndyDelta12345
Not kidding at all. H/O's have not been produced since 1988 and may of the younger car enthusiasts have not heard or seen them. Anything that increases awareness of these great cars is good in my book. Just like houses, there is car for every personality out there. Ridiculing or making fun of the vision of someone else is mean and rude. (Not to mention homophobic)
I have been on this forum for a few years now and there are those of you on here who really have not much nice to say about anything, some of you have even responded here. Sarcasm is not a service it is rude. I thought this site would be about helping promote a dead brand not trashing others cars.

I received my muscle machines mag yesterday and on the cover is a 66 W30 and not one mention anywhere on this board about it.

Now for those of you who are so critical of others PLEASE post some of your assembly line correct not over restored cars So we can all have a shot at what is not correct and what we don't like.

Now let's try to go back to where we help not criticize.
Fred
Old November 3rd, 2016, 06:05 AM
344879M363895

Let me also say something good about the car...

I like the carbon fiber look on the interior and also the paint colors. I don't think anyone here is saying in writing anything outside of what they would say to a friend if they were strolling through the show.

Just because it is someone's vision and hard work doesn't mean it is going to be popular. Everyone has an opinion and it is nice to hear those opinions. If we all agreed on everything, the world would be a boring place. Accepting every car, regardless of whether you agree with the styling/engine/etc or not is just being fake. I'd rather have people tell it like it is.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 06:13 AM
Old(s) Fart

I can always appreciate quality workmanship, even if my personal taste doesn't match the aesthetics of a particular vehicle. In this case, someone decided to do a Pro Mod style G-body Cutlass. Again, not my cup o' tea, but it's clearly well executed. I really don't see the use of or need for an intricate, multi-function electronic dash and entertainment system inside what is otherwise supposed to be a stripped-out, drag car interior, but oh well.

I also don't understand what nit-picking an expensive and incorrect "restored" car has to do with this thread.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 07:15 AM
morgan

Originally Posted by 442Fred
I have been on this forum for a few years now and there are those of you on here who really have not much nice to say about anything, some of you have even responded here. Sarcasm is not a service it is rude. I thought this site would be about helping promote a dead brand not trashing others cars.

I received my muscle machines mag yesterday and on the cover is a 66 W30 and not one mention anywhere on this board about it.

Now for those of you who are so critical of others PLEASE post some of your assembly line correct not over restored cars So we can all have a shot at what is not correct and what we don't like.

Now let's try to go back to where we help not criticize.
Fred
Totally agree here. I think this car is fantastic and the fact someone took a n almost 30year old Oldsmobile is great for Olds fans
Old November 3rd, 2016, 07:24 AM

It could've been a lot worst. It could have been powered by a Subaru STI motor
Old November 3rd, 2016, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by pogo69
Totally agree here. I think this car is fantastic and the fact someone took a n almost 30year old Oldsmobile is great for Olds fans

Where exactly do you see an Oldsmobile in that photo? There is not one part on that car, besides the engine block, maybe, that was made by GM let alone Oldsmobile. Not one. Its a totally fabricated car. And an ugly one at that.

Last edited by TK-65; November 3rd, 2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 09:14 AM

I can always appreciate quality workmanship, even if my personal taste doesn't match the aesthetics of a particular vehicle. In this case, someone decided to do a Pro Mod style G-body Cutlass. Again, not my cup o' tea, but it's clearly well executed. I really don't see the use of or need for an intricate, multi-function electronic dash and entertainment system inside what is otherwise supposed to be a stripped-out, drag car interior, but oh well.

I also don't understand what nit-picking an expensive and incorrect "restored" car has to do with this thread.

Two people said they arent into it or feeling it. We are allowed to not like every Olds ever made or built right?

Last edited by TK-65; November 3rd, 2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
In this day and age I agree,I can't believe the amount of LS powered mustangs running around out there.

I was watching Fast N' Loud the other night on TV and they took a blown up motor out of a Porsche 996 an put an LS3 motor in it.

So yeah, they are in everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
996.jpg (1.80 MB, 19 views)

Last edited by chip-powell; November 4th, 2016 at 03:25 AM.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:43 AM

that is horrible, it should not say hurst /olds
Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by TK-65
Where exactly do you see an Oldsmobile in that photo? There is not one part on that car, besides the engine block, maybe, that was made by GM let alone Oldsmobile. Not one. Its a totally fabricated car. And an ugly one at that.
Agreed!
Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:52 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by TK-65
There is not one part on that car, besides the engine block, maybe, that was made by GM let alone Oldsmobile.
Sadly, the engine block is probably the part least likely to have come from Oldsmobile...
Old November 3rd, 2016, 04:44 PM
Administrator

People do not build cars to please others, they build them to please themselves. Outside of a few show judges, we as individuals don't matter in this process until the car goes up for sale.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 04:53 PM
Senior Moment Member

You could put ANY nameplate on that car. CTS-V would be my call on it. And yeah, the Olds in Hemmings is really nice. I like that magazine a lot. Don't forget, in a few short weeks the MCACN show will be in Chicago.

http://www.mcacn.com/
Old November 3rd, 2016, 05:55 PM
Old(s) Fart

Photos of the "Hurst/Olds" engine. I have to say, from these, I have no clue what it is. Looking at the first photo, there ARE a bunch of valve cover bolts, and those MIGHT be E-brock Oldsmobile head castings....

Study and decide.

Old November 3rd, 2016, 06:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

Well, on second thought, the injectors indicate equally spaced intake runners, so not an Oldmobile intake geometry unless those are some obscure aftermarket heads. Wenzler, maybe?

Old November 3rd, 2016, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by pogo69
I also totally agree.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 09:45 PM

Not my cup of tea - the car seems to be a conglomerate of many different thoughts and inputs. SEMA is not my type of show, the car bodies are way too modified and the drive trains are mostly just crate engines with every conceivable new accessary attached or installed in it.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 11:40 PM

SEMA's all about...

Originally Posted by anthonyP
Not my cup of tea - the car seems to be a conglomerate of many different thoughts and inputs. SEMA is not my type of show, the car bodies are way too modified and the drive trains are mostly just crate engines with every conceivable new accessory attached or installed in it.
Well, yeah. Sema (Specialty Equipment Market Association) is all about selling aftermarket parts and a good way to sell them is to get famous builders to feature them on cars that catch the eye and make you say Whazzat? Ergo fancy instrument panel on race car.

I don't think its my kind of show either but its on my bucket list just like Bonneville Salt Flats was.
Jerry
Old November 4th, 2016, 06:42 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 47 Convertible
Well, yeah. Sema (Specialty Equipment Market Association) is all about selling aftermarket parts and a good way to sell them is to get famous builders to feature them on cars that catch the eye and make you say Whazzat? Ergo fancy instrument panel on race car.
^^^THIS! Exactly.
Old November 4th, 2016, 08:49 AM

I checked the usual suspect's, Skinny Kid Race Cars, website, and didn't see this listed. For those that are chastising it: it's called a Pro Mod. It is absolutely 100% supposed to look like that. I understand many of you have trouble with things that didn't roll out of the Lansing doors, but it does very well seem to be Olds powered. I'd love to see more on this car. Hopefully, it goes as quick as it looks, and isn't just a show piece. Try making your 69 H/O go high 6's in the quarter without a genuine ACME rocket strapped to it.
Old November 4th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by fleming442
it's called a Pro Mod.
Yeah, had that up in Post #16. Any idea what the engine is? Clearly not an LS. DRCE maybe?
Old November 4th, 2016, 09:28 AM

I give up; I've been scouring the interwebs for about an hour and can't find squat.
Old November 4th, 2016, 09:47 AM

I am a car guy. I like most cars. I have mustangs, corvettes, olds, hot rods. I think that Olds is fabulous. The looks of it is obviously in the eye's of the beholder. However if you are a true "car guy" you must admire the engineering, fabrication and execution of this build. That's why I go to car show, to see other peoples Fabrication, engineering and execution. It doesn't always please me but I do admire the effort. Now and then I do see stuff that should be left in the garage. We don't all have $100K build budgets. I especially admire low budget builds with high quality execution. Besides it's a SEMA car. That's the kind of stuff you build for SEMA. Just another guy's opinion.
Mike
Old November 4th, 2016, 09:59 AM

http://xcelerod.com/sorceress/
http://xcelerod.com/projects/

Some information at any rate, and contact info if you want to query them directly. They don't seem to indicate what the engine is based on, if anything.
Old November 4th, 2016, 01:14 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by VI Cutty
http://xcelerod.com/sorceress/
http://xcelerod.com/projects/

Some information at any rate, and contact info if you want to query them directly. They don't seem to indicate what the engine is based on, if anything.
It does tell you what it ISN'T based on...

Expected 2600-3200 Horse Power
Displaces 640 cubic inches
Pretty much has to be a DRCE or similar motor. The DRCE was supposed to be good for 650 cu in when it came out.

Of course, I believe this, too...

Street ready with DOT tires, mufflers, and headlights, this sleek little lady features creature comforts such as a stereo and power windows, but she’s oh so much more.

The original ’84 Hurst/Olds body—the designer’s first car—was used as a mule. Cutting the body into pieces, parts were mutilated, massaged, and repurposed for a whole new design that is friendly for doing 300 mph and above—using everyday street fuel—making her the first flex-fuel vehicle of her kind. Really.
Covered in a carbon-fiber shell, the magic happens not only on the street but under the hood. And she’s smart, this one: capable of learning. She’s licensed in the state of Iowa as the SORSRES.
Old November 4th, 2016, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by fleming442
I checked the usual suspect's, Skinny Kid Race Cars, website, and didn't see this listed. For those that are chastising it: it's called a Pro Mod. It is absolutely 100% supposed to look like that. I understand many of you have trouble with things that didn't roll out of the Lansing doors, but it does very well seem to be Olds powered. I'd love to see more on this car. Hopefully, it goes as quick as it looks, and isn't just a show piece. Try making your 69 H/O go high 6's in the quarter without a genuine ACME rocket strapped to it.
Originally Posted by Mike77
I am a car guy. I like most cars. I have mustangs, corvettes, olds, hot rods. I think that Olds is fabulous. The looks of it is obviously in the eye's of the beholder. However if you are a true "car guy" you must admire the engineering, fabrication and execution of this build. That's why I go to car show, to see other peoples Fabrication, engineering and execution. It doesn't always please me but I do admire the effort. Now and then I do see stuff that should be left in the garage. We don't all have $100K build budgets. I especially admire low budget builds with high quality execution. Besides it's a SEMA car. That's the kind of stuff you build for SEMA. Just another guy's opinion.
Mike
These two guys saved me an awful lot of typing since I totally agree with both.
Old November 4th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Local Hero
These two guys saved me an awful lot of typing since I totally agree with both.
From what we can see in the photos, execution is exceptional. The parts are fabricated extremely well. The engine packaging is impressive. The problem I have is that this isn't really a ProMod car and it isn't really a "street car". It's a "booth babe" for SEMA. A real race car won't have stereo or power windows, but it doesn't really look like you could drive on the street for any distance beyond the fairgrounds parking lot. I'd be impressed if this car could complete and be competitive at Drag Week, for example. I'll reserve judgement until it demonstrates that. For now it looks like a modern version of Pro Street. Can you say "Rick Dobbertin"?

Quick Reply: "Hurst/Olds" from SEMA