General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Interesting...very interesting

Search this Thread

Old March 19th, 2010, 07:19 AM

Unhappy Interesting...very interesting

I recently sent in a request to GM Canada's vehicle records department.I thought having the documentation for (my) car would come in handy some day.Well, I got a phone call from the GM employee who was working on this.It seems that there were only 12 characters in the vin no. I gave him instead of 13.No problem i said, I'll just go out to the garage and read em off to you.
After I had supplied the missing character (an M for Lansing), he asked where I had gotten the vin no. I had sent them."Why I got it off my registration," I replied.(Our vehicle registration card is also known as the ownership when it comes to selling the vehicle.) Can anyone see where I am going with this?
RIGHT! I don't have a @#&#^!#^&%@ legal ownership!!!!! Even though I am the only (owner) of this car...at least I ordered it and paid for it and have had possession for 38and a half years...(unscrupulous body shop owner had it for another year and a half,) I don't legally own it!
He recommended I see a lawyer.&#$# that! I'd rather chew my $%$$%^$ arm off!!!!
Done ranting, off to the shower!
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:01 AM

Err,

Why were you contacting GM Canada fro a Lansing built car. Sum'in ain't right.
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Bunser
I recently sent in a request to GM Canada's vehicle records department.I thought having the documentation for (my) car would come in handy some day.Well, I got a phone call from the GM employee who was working on this.It seems that there were only 12 characters in the vin no. I gave him instead of 13.No problem i said, I'll just go out to the garage and read em off to you.
After I had supplied the missing character (an M for Lansing), he asked where I had gotten the vin no. I had sent them."Why I got it off my registration," I replied.(Our vehicle registration card is also known as the ownership when it comes to selling the vehicle.) Can anyone see where I am going with this?
RIGHT! I don't have a @#&#^!#^&%@ legal ownership!!!!! Even though I am the only (owner) of this car...at least I ordered it and paid for it and have had possession for 38and a half years...(unscrupulous body shop owner had it for another year and a half,) I don't legally own it!
He recommended I see a lawyer.&#$# that! I'd rather chew my $%$$%^$ arm off!!!!
Done ranting, off to the shower!
First of all pleeeeeeese put *something* in your thread title to give us an idea of what the content is! That is, quite honestly, very annoying. I usually ignore meaningless titles like this one.

GM Canada (or US for that matter) has no say in what is legally yours or not. You could take this up your license bureau (or whatever that legal branch is for "you guys"), but if the title is only missing the M, there should not be any problem with the title, and I wouldn't even do anything about it.
And GM Canada still should be able to run the numbers for you.

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Err,
Any car sold new in Canada, regardless of where it was made, also has records at GM Canada.
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Randy C.

Hi Bunser,

The process of getting the title changed from an incorrect number to a correct number can, and will most likely, be frustrating. When title of my car changed from my dad to me in 2007, I noted to the State of Washington DOL that the VIN was incorrect on the title; that the "B" before the "M" in the VIN was supposed to be an "8". I'm surprised now that they just didn't strip-search me right then. They made it appear that I was a crook, trying to make a get-away with a stolen car. The title had been like that since February 1969 when my dad bought the car.

All I wanted was for someone in the office to go out and verify that I was correct (the car was sitting in the parking lot not 50 feet away) and issue my new title with the correct VIN. Simple process, I thought - it should only take a few minutes. Wrong! First, I had to apply for and receive the new title (with the wrong VIN on it) to the car. Ot took exactly 6 weeks to receive the new (incorrect) title in the mail (that process is out-sourced by the state and explains why it takes so long). Then, I had to make an appointment with one of the Washington State Patrol inspection stations (closest one is 20 miles away) to get the car inspected. Getting an appointment is easy, just as long as you are willing to wait another 6-8 weeks to go to it. I raised enough hate and discontent that I was able to get my appointment for the very next day. And, because of all the hate and discontent, getting the car inspected was quite trying - again, you would think I was a criminal and not someone trying to fix an obvious and minor error.

And finally, the new titile with the correct VIN on it - yes, another 6 week wait. Essentially, it took me all summer to get a correct title - something, in my opinion, that could have been corrected on the spot with anyone who has basic knowledge of how VINs are set up (which I have a tendancy to believe that someone in DOL should have). The same should be true for you and the missing "M", but I'm sure that will take a Herculean effort to correct.

Be prepared to feel like a crook when you get this corrected. I sure had the sense that I was being put through the wringer when it happened to me!

Randy C.
Old March 19th, 2010, 09:22 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
Be prepared to feel like a crook when you get this corrected. I sure had the sense that I was being put through the wringer when it happened to me!

Randy C.
Yeah, I have the same fear. While not an Olds, I have a 1952 Chevy farm truck that I bought at a farm auction. I even have the original VA title, signed over by the owner. The problem is that in 1952, the engine unit number was used for the title number (presumably since the VIN tag was so easily swapped on these trucks). Unfortunately the engine is a rusted lump and I intend to swap in a V8. Needless to say I am NOT looking forward to explaining this to the DMV...
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Err,

Jamesbo, I have the same documentation for my car from GM Canada.
My car was built in California but it was built for export and sale in Canada, and in this case GM Canada keeps records. If the car Bunser is talking about was built and sold in the US. then there won,t be any records for it. I suggest that Bunser take the VIN from the dash.The mistake on the ownership could have been made at the MTO.many years ago.
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by bulldog
Jamesbo, I have the same documentation for my car from GM Canada.
My car was built in California but it was built for export and sale in Canada, and in this case GM Canada keeps records. If the car Bunser is talking about was built and sold in the US. then there won,t be any records for it. I suggest that Bunser take the VIN from the dash.The mistake on the ownership could have been made at the MTO.many years ago.
HTML Code:
Any car sold new in Canada, regardless of where it was made, also has records at GM Canada.

Well, I didn't know that, I had always [erroneously] assume it was for Car built in Canada. Thanks for straightening me out.
Old March 19th, 2010, 03:42 PM

[quote=wmachine;159110]First of all pleeeeeeese put *something* in your thread title to give us an idea of what the content is! That is, quite honestly, very annoying. I usually ignore meaningless titles like this one.

Sorry.Point taken.I shall endeavour to brush up on my forum etiquette.
Old March 19th, 2010, 06:19 PM
is Fast Enough ...

I have had luck applying for a replacement for a "lost" pink ...
Old March 19th, 2010, 08:25 PM

Bunser,
The exact same thing happened to me on my 1968 442. It was the last digit on the Vin in my registartion papers that is missing. When GM of Canada called me back looking for the 13th digit, I checked the car's vin and found the missing number. I have not registered the car in my name yet and it is an Alberta Reg (I live in B.C.). This may not go well when I attempt to get it registered here in B.C.!
Old March 20th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by mugzilla
I have had luck applying for a replacement for a "lost" pink ...
All states have a fairly easy process for replacing a lost or destroyed title - which is why I always wonder about cars being sold where the seller has "lost" the title. If the car is legitimately owned, a replacement title is easy to get. Here in VA, it takes filling out a form, paying $15, and (the hardest part) standing in line at the DMV. Correcting a VIN on a title is a whole different thing, however.
Old March 20th, 2010, 05:19 PM
is Fast Enough ...

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
All states have a fairly easy process for replacing a lost or destroyed title - which is why I always wonder about cars being sold where the seller has "lost" the title. If the car is legitimately owned, a replacement title is easy to get. Here in VA, it takes filling out a form, paying $15, and (the hardest part) standing in line at the DMV. Correcting a VIN on a title is a whole different thing, however.
Sometimes I go to one dmv or another until a clerk does what I want them to ...

I specialize in lost pink cars. When I tell the owner about then releasing liability to me they seem relieved and I have a rep for taking care of the paperwork. Oh yeh, I always check the #s' and have never had a problem. I wonder if AAA could help with corrections ...
Old March 20th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Bunser. If the ownership has your name on it then the vehicle is yours. The Ministry makes these mistakes all the time. Especially back in the day when they didn't have computers to check to make sure they entered the correct number of digits.

It shouldn't be any problem what so ever to get that fixed. Might cost you $10 for the new ownership though.
Old March 21st, 2010, 10:20 AM

Might cost you $10 for the new ownership though.
Well, it is a Government run agency! I'm not too concerned about getting this ironed out whether through regular channels or through the "underground, unethical means"... (lawyers' favourite routes!)I'm a little weary of trying to do the right thing, so I'll just do what it takes.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old March 27th, 2010, 04:09 AM

I have a nice,crisp new ownership.I drove the extra miles to my favourite licence bureau (the one in town goes strictly by the book AND are surly about it!)I walked in and up to the counter and to my surprise, a new young woman asked if she could help me.I told her what I wanted and gave her the info she needed.Well, if she didn't start asking for more stuff! Luckily for me one of the "regular" women came to the front and said "just process his request, he gave you all the info you need."
Why do new employees have to be so thorough? I know...because they are NEW! I got my ownership and walked out.
Old March 27th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Randy C.

Now, that's a good deal. I surely wish it would have been that easy for me. It seemed to me it would have been easy, but not to DOL!

Randy C.