General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

It's not just Toyota

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:08 AM

It's not just Toyota

GM Canada recalls over 250,000 compact cars

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0215568520100302

GM recalls 1.3 million compact cars

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/gm-reportedly-recalling-13-million-compact-cars-2010-03-02-15300
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:21 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Saw in another artcle that the power steering parts are from a company that is owned 50% by toyota.

link:http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/mar...est=latestnews

"Toyota is also indirectly involved in the GM recall as JTEKT, the parts maker that produces the GM power steering motor, is 50% owned by Toyota"

Maybe we should go back to MADE IN AMERICA
Larry
Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
Maybe we should go back to MADE IN AMERICA
Larry
It's not clear that these steering components aren't made in the U.S. From what I can tell from their website, the company's steering products division is based in the U.S., and they have a manufacturing plant in Virginia. This company is Japanese-owned, but it might have been American hands that put those parts together. You can't assume anything anymore when it comes to where anything is actually made.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:07 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Your right I assumed to much.
Larry
Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:10 AM

I saw the same thing here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8544989.stm

Electric steering?? New to me... I wonder who actually designed this and who set the specs on it. Something that is this new and different is subject to initial failure. Of course the ones putting them together do just that.
Is this the same as the corolla steering unit that has been under investigation? I wonder...

Anyhow, Toyo is still in the lead... They now have another recall involving oil hoses that overmatched GM's recent recall. Here is a snip courtesy of AP news:

Toyota repairing leaky oil hoses in US, Japan
Mar 2, 6:50 AM EST
By YURI KAGEYAMA
AP Business Writer

TOKYO (AP) -- Toyota is repairing more than 1.6 million vehicles around the world, including the U.S. and Japan, for potentially leaky oil hoses - the latest in a spate of quality problems battering the world's biggest automaker.
The fix affects 1.3 million vehicles in North America, including repairs that have yet to be officially announced on 100,000 Highlander crossovers and 215,000 Sienna minivans, Toyota Motor Corp. spokeswoman Ririko Takeuchi said Tuesday.
Repairs on 45,000 vehicles in Japan have already been rolled out since October. The problem affects an additional 230,000 vehicles in 90 other nations, Takeuchi said. The models involved in Japan are the Harrier luxury model, Estima minivan, Blade hatchback, Mark X Zio sedan and Vanguard crossover.
Toyota does not consider the latest repair a recall because the problem doesn't endanger safety, and categorizes it as a "service campaign," with owners receiving notices through dealers about the needed repair.
"This is a routine measure," said Takeuchi. "We are not hiding anything."
The automaker earlier Tuesday said some 1 million vehicles were affected after the repair for the oil-supply engine hose was expanded overnight in the U.S. to include 2007 and 2009 RAV4 sport utility vehicles and some Avalon sedan models, totaling 217,800 vehicles.
It was unclear when U.S. owners would receive notices on the Highlander and Sienna repairs, but Toyota was making preparations now, Takeuchi said.
Toyota's quality standards have come under intense scrutiny following global recalls of some 8.5 million vehicles for gas pedal, floor mat and braking problems, mostly in the U.S.
In the latest defect, faulty hoses can cause engine noise and light up the oil pressure light on vehicle dashboards, according to Toyota. In the U.S., the problem also affects the best-selling Camry and two Lexus models.

Not a safety issue, but your engine will lock up, as well as your finances to remedy the issue...
It now looks like they have all newer models under some kind of recall.

As I have been suspecting for quite some time now, there might be a recall of some of their older cars due to SUA. See www.safetyresearch.net for the brewings...

the more of this I read the more I do not want any new car. They have now become way overcomplicated, even thwarting the companies' service techs...
I love my cables and carbs and steering pumps, despite their "inefficiencies".
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:16 PM

Made in the usa

I heard that moog is now a over sea's product I know in the past that moog was the trusted front end part company . Now who? I have heard some spindles were breaking but no one would say who made them . So Edelbrock is us made Holley is us made what else is ??
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:17 PM

my bad I thought I started a new post not a reply