General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Mechanical Fuel Pump Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2018, 03:22 PM

Mechanical Fuel Pump Replacement Question

Anyone know if it possible to install a new mechanical fuel pump effortlessly, and still do it wrong?
In other words, I installed my new pump, in the exact opposite order in which I removed the old one.
The problem is, I'm not getting gas at the carb (I have one of those clear filters between the pump & the carb).
Could the pump be defective? Or could I have inserted the rod into the engine wrong?
Anyway, my battery died, so while I'm charging up, I thought I would ask someone.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 04:15 PM
Administrator

If you remove the hose from the steel fuel line you should get a solid stream of fuel. Make sure your clamps are tight and the hose/s are new. If you did not have to force the fuel pump on it should work. If you are using this style fuel filter, through it away. Major fire hazard.

Old February 3rd, 2018, 05:12 PM
Olds Fever

First, what was the reason for changing the pump? Was it not pumping fuel at all or was it only leaking?? If it was not pumping any fuel, the pump may not have been the problem... Check the new pump for suction... Remove the fuel line into the pump and while cranking the engine check the pump for suction... If the pump is functioning,, there is a possibility there is a blockage between the pump and fuel tank lines...
Old February 3rd, 2018, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
First, what was the reason for changing the pump? Was it not pumping fuel at all or was it only leaking?? If it was not pumping any fuel, the pump may not have been the problem... Check the new pump for suction... Remove the fuel line into the pump and while cranking the engine check the pump for suction... If the pump is functioning,, there is a possibility there is a blockage between the pump and fuel tank lines...
there was nothing wrong with the old mechanical pump, it works great. I happen to come across a brand new one and I threw it in because of how easy it is. And it is way prettier, than the old gunky one, if you know what I mean.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
If you remove the hose from the steel fuel line you should get a solid stream of fuel. Make sure your clamps are tight and the hose/s are new. If you did not have to force the fuel pump on it should work. If you are using this style fuel filter, through it away. Major fire hazard.

how come these are a fire hazard anyway?
Old February 3rd, 2018, 06:00 PM
Old School Olds

They are a marine application and there is rubber gaskets on each end that goes to $hit
over time. At least that's been my experience with them on my Johnson 115.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Gone Johnson
how come these are a fire hazard anyway?
Because they leak and then spay fuel all over the engine and ... POOF
Old February 3rd, 2018, 07:20 PM

Your pick up screen in the tank might be clogged, or worse, the pick up tube has broken off. Since it was working prior to your changing it, I would suspect that the new pump is defective. Assuming that you have fuel in the tank, if you remove the rubber hose from the pump that connects to the tank, it should siphon the gas out, so it will prove that there is a good connection between the pump and the tank. If no fuel, then start checking for a damaged line, or ultimately the pick up inside of the tank. You also might have a cracked line, and the pump is sucking air instead of fuel.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
They are a marine application and there is rubber gaskets on each end that goes to $hit
over time. At least that's been my experience with them on my Johnson 115.
Then I am definitely going to throw that thing out next.... it is kind of convenient being able to see the fuel, I will admit
Old February 3rd, 2018, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Junkman
Your pick up screen in the tank might be clogged, or worse, the pick up tube has broken off. Since it was working prior to your changing it, I would suspect that the new pump is defective. Assuming that you have fuel in the tank, if you remove the rubber hose from the pump that connects to the tank, it should siphon the gas out, so it will prove that there is a good connection between the pump and the tank. If no fuel, then start checking for a damaged line, or ultimately the pick up inside of the tank. You also might have a cracked line, and the pump is sucking air instead of fuel.
I guess if I would have been more thorough in my description, I would have mentioned that recently I dropped the fuel tank, had it cleaned out, and put in a new fuel sending unit, with all the new vacuum lines that go up to the emissions canister in the back, as well as the fuel lines in that area. I then put two gallons of gas in the tank while the rear wheels were sitting up on cinder blocks, and the front wheels were on the ground, started & ran the engine, and it ran great... then I checked for leaks and everything was totally great. The next week is when I came across the new fuel pump and installed it. I'm supposing I'm out of gas, now that the car is sitting on four rubbers again.
Since I posted this earlier today:
I did remove the fuel line going to the mechanical fuel pump and I did crank it and I did feel suction. I also poured gas in the carb and the engine runs. Could it be now that the car is level, that the 2 gallons of gas is not enough to get fuel to the front of the car? Could it be that simple? Crud
Old February 3rd, 2018, 08:04 PM

Could it be now that the car is level, that the 2 gallons of gas is not enough to get fuel to the front of the car? Could it be that simple?
Absolutely. Fuel is not removed from the tank like the drain in a bathtub, from the bottom. The fuel pick-up pipe extends down from the top (or side) of the tank, and it doesn't touch the bottom. Whatever gasoline is in the tank when the level drops below the bottom of the pickup pipe will never be available for use.

I did this calculation on my '67 Delta 88 when I replaced the sending unit. The pickup pipe stops about 1/2 inch above the bottom of the tank. So that's the height of the volume involved. I measured length and width of the bottom of the tank and multiplied them (L x W x H) to get the volume of fuel remaining in the tank when the level drops to 1/2 inch. The answer translated to about 2 gallons. So the 25 gallon tank on my Delta has a usable volume of 23 gallons.

I would put at least five gallons in the tank before trying to do anything. I think you're correct that the car ran ok when the back end was elevated because that distributed the fuel unevenly across the tank bottom and caused it to pool near the pickup pipe. When you leveled the car, that disappeared.

Last edited by jaunty75; February 3rd, 2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Absolutely. Fuel is not removed from the tank like the drain in a bathtub, from the bottom. The fuel pick-up pipe extends down from the top (or side) of the tank, and it doesn't touch the bottom. Whatever gasoline is in the tank when the level drops below the bottom of the pickup pipe will never be available for use.

I did this calculation on my '67 Delta 88 when I replaced the sending unit. The pickup pipe stops about 1/2 inch above the bottom of the tank. So that's the height of the volume involved. I measured length and width of the bottom of the tank and multiplied them (L x W x H) to get the volume of fuel remaining in the tank when the level drops to 1/2 inch. The answer translated to about 2 gallons. So the 25 gallon tank on my Delta has a usable volume of 23 gallons.

I would put at least five gallons in the tank before trying to do anything. I think you're correct that the car ran ok when the back end was elevated because that distributed the fuel unevenly across the tank bottom and caused it to pool near the pickup pipe. What you leveled the car, that disappeared.
OK- I will post the results when I put 5 gallons or more in the tank. I guess I shouldn't have beat my wife when she asked me, "is there gas in it?"
(Hahaha only kidding)
Old February 3rd, 2018, 08:31 PM

I guess I shouldn't have beat my wife when she asked me, "is there gas in it?"(Hahaha only kidding)
I always thought it was silly when you'd look in the "troubleshooting" section in the back of the manual that came with your new TV or VCR, and there, in the section labeled "unit won't turn on" or something like that, the first suggestion is to "make sure it's plugged in." After all, who's going to forget something as simple and as obvious as plugging it in, right?

Then one time a new device (a microwave oven, I think) wouldn't work when I got it home, and, sure enough, I'd forgotten to plug it in. Suddenly I had new respect for the authors of those manuals.

Last edited by jaunty75; February 3rd, 2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2018, 08:55 PM

I always thought it was silly when you'd look in the "troubleshooting" section in the back of the manual that came with your new TV or VCR, and there, in the section labeled "unit won't turn on" or something like that, the first suggestion is to "make sure it's plugged in." After all, who's going to forget something as simple and as obvious as plugging it in, right?

Then one time a new device (a microwave oven, I think) wouldn't work when I got it home, and, sure enough, I'd forgotten to plug it in. Suddenly I had new respect for the authors of those manuals.
Well said
Old February 4th, 2018, 05:56 AM

Funny for sure. I worked for a major parts manufacturer that was also involved with high performance parts back in the 90's and was tasked with doing say a cam or header install then writing directions for said install. I always tried to be as specific as possible and got crap for it by the engineers. On the flip side once in a while I had to take a tech service call and can't recall how many times I felt like saying "put the tools away, close the box and find somebody to do this for you!"
Old February 4th, 2018, 06:21 PM

All right ladies and gentlemen, the verdict is in. As we discussed together, and I appreciate all the input, the fuel tank didn't have enough gas in it, for the reasons I mentioned. Thank you so much for all the help. Its an honest mistake, so I look at it as more of an oversight than, " that dummy".
added 6 gallons to the tank, new fuel pump suck the gas right up and engine purrs like a kitten.
If anybody reads my other threads, I'm getting to replacing the carb, which is bad. But I thought I would replace the entire fuel system first, cuz it's OG stuff. Stay tuned.......
Old February 4th, 2018, 08:28 PM

cuz it's OG stuff.
All right, I've been around for for a while (been into Olds since since the 70s) but I have no idea what that means.
Old February 4th, 2018, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
All right, I've been around for for a while (been into Olds since since the 70s) but I have no idea what that means.
haha, I'm sure you do,. I just meant that it is the original tubing back there
Old October 12th, 2019, 03:48 PM

thank you Joe, much appreciated.

I was probably a little stronger 10 years ago...….:
Old October 12th, 2019, 08:59 PM

Here's a funny question A YEAR & A HALF later. How come if I let my car sit for 3 or 4 days I have to prime the carburetor to start it? though? Read above if you want to know the history😁
Old October 12th, 2019, 10:33 PM

Here's a funny question A YEAR & A HALF later. How come if I let my car sit for 3 or 4 days I have to prime the carburetor to start it? though? Read above if you want to know the history😁
Maybe because the vaporized fuel in the intake runners and head evaporated ?
Old October 13th, 2019, 08:04 AM

Q-Jets don't hold much fuel in the bowl. After a few days the fuel tends to evaporate.

Also to be safe, check where the intake tube comes out of the pump. The one I have pulled out. I had a bad fuel smell whenever I turned off the car. Went to change the rubber fuel line the other day and the pressed nipple just pulled out of the pump. Real junk. When I change the pump out I'll post it on the wall of shame post.
Old May 18th, 2020, 07:04 PM

This thread has been very helpful. I just replaced all my fuel lines, tanks straps and sender unit, and had the same problem, likely for the same reason. I figured a gallon of gas would be enough, lol...Thanks guys!
Old May 18th, 2020, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by 71supreme
this thread has been very helpful. I just replaced all my fuel lines, tanks straps and sender unit, and had the same problem, likely for the same reason. I figured a gallon of gas would be enough, lol...thanks guys!
😀