General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Non-Olds; Value '50 Chevy 3800 Pickup ?

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2011, 04:13 PM

Non-Olds; Value '50 Chevy 3800 Pickup ?

Rather than take the time to find and register for a Chevy site, I figured I'd start here...

Was at a garage sale today, actually in the guy's garage looking at the usual garage sale stuff...then I saw his 1950 chevy truck on the other side of his garage. Guy said he either needs to sell or get it restored.

All body panels stripped to bare metal and smooth...except the truck bed floor which was rusted beyond repair. Small fender dent behind headlight that could be pulled out. Frame OK. Floor inside cab OK. has all emblems and bumpers are decent.

Interior was shot...torn up bench seats, no interior carpet. All glass is cracked or scratched and needs replacing.

Straight 6 motor 3 speed on column and some sort of floor starter pedal. Man steering and man brakes. Didn't try to start car but he said it would start and run without much trouble.

Aside from the bed, no rust at all. Colorado car until brought east and stored inside.

Assuming can get it running, any idea of value ? Might want to play with it for a year then see if I can get what I pay for it next spring.

or do you need to update suspension, put in a V8 and TH trans to get anything for it ? I wouldn't put much money into it..
Old May 14th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Oldsdruid

For me, I'd prefer it bone stock, but seems like most of the action in those year trucks are heavily modded ones with 5-window cabs.

A 3800 I think is a 3/4 ton job, maybe a 1-tonner. 3100 was a plain lightweight half-ton and a 3200 had a little heavier suspension, then the next step up was a 3600.

They're tough old trucks and can be a lot of fun. That starter pedal was common thru about 1955 1st series I think, maybe as late as 57. Most vehicles back then had some type of pushbutton starter system- Olds, Caddy, Chevy and Pontiac cars had the button on the dash up thru about 1952 or so, the trucks had it on the floor next to the gas pedal, and Buicks had some weird-*** thing with the starter switch on the carburetor- you pressed the gas pedal to the floor and it made the switch on the carb, and started the engine. The 50s Buick guys on AACA are always screaming about that switch going bad.