General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rallye 350 bumpers

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2013, 04:09 PM

Rallye 350 bumpers

I have heard both sides of the coin coated bolts non coated bolts
So if you were to go to all the trouble of coating the bumper Gm or
restorer why not do the bolts others say the bumper was done separate
from bolts and are not coated ??? What does the fisher or or other publications say ? Anyone have true off the lot pics ? what I find funny is I see rear bumpers with bolts not coated but fronts coated .
Old June 5th, 2013, 04:41 PM
"Car"mudgeon

These look coated

Old June 5th, 2013, 04:46 PM
"Car"mudgeon

I would tend to think that the bolts were coated from the factory, but if they was not prepared right then it would be the first place to shed the coating after a few good washings.
Old June 5th, 2013, 04:47 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Sorry I can't answer your question about the bolts being coated yellow or not.

I hope you don't mind me asking the board on your thread about another issue regarding Rallye bumpers.

Some time ago I was reading Hemmings Muscle Machines and there was a picture of a Rallye with chrome bumpers. I had heard when these cars were new the dealers were having a hard time selling them so some dealers were replacing the yellow bumpers with chrome bumpers in an effort to sell the cars.

Anyone else ever see a Rallye with chrome bumpers? The magazine picture was the only one I have ever seen.
If you have seen a Rallye with chrome bumpers,how do you feel about them? I prefer the yellow bumpers.

Again,I hope you don't mind me sidetracking your thread.

Thanks
Old June 5th, 2013, 05:02 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Definitely a day two pic but has coated bolt heads on the front bumper of this one

I've heard that too and read that a few times w-30dreaming, but I don't think it helped much.

Here is one not sure if original, though probably not.

http://www.autotraderclassics.com/co...s-461754.xhtml

And another

Says he chrome bumpers are new on that one ^^^

http://www.oldsmobilecentral.com/for...350-Blaine.php
Old June 5th, 2013, 05:09 PM

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Oldsmobile-Cutlass-RALLYE350-1970-oldsmobile-rallye-350-with-original-paint-/230955297321?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35c6022a29 &vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1182

My tag didnt work .

This guy said it was one of the non coated sold late in 71 and was a promo car at the dealership it was sold at.

the second car above was restored the wheels are wrong ,color was also a newer Dodge variation.
Old June 5th, 2013, 06:11 PM

Gold Rally 350

No notes in the 70 assembly manual
Don't know the answer to the bumper bolt - though coated would look better.
But I ran across this picture about a year ago - I think it was at the GM Heritage website - they no longer have it on there. The car looks gold to me - it is the same pic as the yellow one - maybe an artist rendering - I wonder at one point if they were thinking about more than just 1 color - anyway I thought it was neat and possibly a candidate to dress up a Cutlass - do it like the picture in a flat gloss.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
53217920_pr.jpg (36.8 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by RG70442; June 5th, 2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old June 5th, 2013, 06:16 PM

I think they look ugly with chrome
Old June 5th, 2013, 06:41 PM

wow never seen that appearance package before, if you had described it too me I probably would have thought it would look ugly but it actually looks really cool.
Old June 5th, 2013, 06:53 PM

Ive heard that many times but of course was too young to know if true. dealers swapped bumpers and added trim rings to get them off the lot.
Old June 5th, 2013, 06:54 PM

An original ad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1.jpg (41.1 KB, 52 views)
Old June 5th, 2013, 07:12 PM

Damn, with that mustache and that ride Dr.Oldsmobile must have just been swimming in *****.
Old June 5th, 2013, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by RALLYE KID
I think they look ugly with chrome
This is my first time seeing them with chrome and I think I like the chrome better than the painted bumpers.
Old June 5th, 2013, 09:18 PM

for those who have a rallye or have removed and cut them up , does it look like the bumper was coated on car if you were to remove the bumper would it have a affect on the bumper do the heads of said bolts look like the bolt was dipped or sprayed and just the top coated or the hole head coated
Old June 6th, 2013, 05:51 AM
Old(s) Fart

Sorry, but the fact that dealers sometimes put chrome bumpers on Rallye 350s doesn't make it any more correct than if the dealer had put a Chevy motor in it. ALL came from the factory with yellow bumpers. Dealer additions are NOT factory configurations.
Old June 6th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Trying to remember member

Bolts were coated too. Bumpers and bolts done off the car.
Attached Files
Old June 6th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Trying to remember member

BTW, that is out of the Assembly Manual. Hiding in the next to the last download:
http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/cgi-b...aldisplayed=50

Available free of charge at Wild About Cars!

Wild About Cars. http://wildaboutcars.com. An information supersource, especially Oldsmobile. More Olds content than anywhere else on the internet and continuing to grow.
You'll find Chassis Service Manuals, Product Information Manuals (AKA Assembly Manuals), Inspector's Manuals, and other documents that will contain this and much much more.
Dealer Brochures, magazine ads and articles, and the Automotive History Preservation Society library growing daily.
Free to join, free to learn.
Old June 7th, 2013, 03:29 AM

I just got back from vacation and see this. This is one of my soapboxes on Rallye 350s. Close to every Rallye 350 I have ever seen restored has the bumper bolts wrong. They were to have coated bumper bolts but the bolts were not the chrome capped bolts that were coated. The head of the bolt was a little thicker and had no cap on it.

Now, this is not documented and can not be proven but I have been around enough original Rallye 350s over the years to know the story is true and my car was one of them. Some Rallye 350s had chrome capped bumper bolts that were not coated. The story from a guy that worked on the line is that they ran out of coated bumper bolts more than one time. when they ran out of coated bolts they were instructed to use chrome ones. I have yet to see any dealer pictures or pictures of one when new with chrome bumper bolts but I am hoping that one will surface some day. I would love to find assembly dates of cars that were known to have factory chrome bolts but the cars are old enough that it is not going to be reliable. I went with oldspackrat to pick up a Rallye 350 a couple months back and I feel real sure it is an original chrome bumper bolt car. I can't remember the build date of it but I bet it is close to my car.
Old June 7th, 2013, 04:34 AM

I had some interest on a Rallye 350 that was eBay a week or so ago. It was supposed to be 100% original paint and had CHROME bumper bolts. I think I saved it and can check the build time. It really wasn't the type of Rallye I want, but nonetheless, it appeared to be a very nice car. The owner claims that he didn't do any paint work, but he was the third owner, and knew the second owner and that fellow claims not to have as well.
I have problem believing the line worker---GM wasn't going to stop the assembly line for something that trivial.
Old June 11th, 2013, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
I would tend to think that the bolts were coated from the factory, but if they was not prepared right then it would be the first place to shed the coating after a few good washings.
The fronts seem to be better than the backs this car im looking at has one of the four still coated and three uncoated