General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

rust free

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2010, 02:12 PM

rust free

This term seems to have different meaning to different folks I have been searching for quite a while now for a rust free (defined free of rust) 68 cutlass or 442 convertible. I've traveled to a couple of surrounding states doing so. I have asked for pictures, I have spoke with sellers and yet the vehicles are anything but "rust free". I guess this is primarily my fault for being trusting and taking someone's word as face value...the search continues...Sorry for the rant, by bad for thinking that folks that own these types of cars would have somewhat of a clue...

thoughts/opinions? Joe

I have found a couple of hard tops in really great shape, just was hoping for the convertible if it exists...
Old May 1st, 2010, 02:27 PM

Well rust is free. It just takes alot of money to fix so it is free of rust.

To me rust free means no rust. Which to find a 40+ year old car is hard to find with out rust. For enough money you can find one. The conv seems to rust worse then the hard top car. Chance of finding a rust free conv is going to be really hard unless you have the budget to buy a car that is already restored. If your looking for a car to fix up then you might look a little larger area. Finding a conv from out west or south might have a better chance for no rust. Good luck.
Old May 1st, 2010, 03:19 PM

I have noticed that being from Minnesota that my idea of "rust" is different than someone from out west.

to me "rust" means holes. To someone in Arizona "rust" may mean surface rust.

Im rather happy if there are no holes and there is only minor surface rust.
Old May 1st, 2010, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by 70 cutlass s
Well rust is free. It just takes alot of money to fix so it is free of rust. Well said

To me rust free means no rust. Which to find a 40+ year old car is hard to find with out rust. For enough money you can find one. The conv seems to rust worse then the hard top car. Chance of finding a rust free conv is going to be really hard unless you have the budget to buy a car that is already restored. If your looking for a car to fix up then you might look a little larger area. Finding a conv from out west or south might have a better chance for no rust. Good luck.
Funny how the convertible tend to rust more, you would think there would be less to rust

Originally Posted by Shizzy
I have noticed that being from Minnesota that my idea of "rust" is different than someone from out west.

Yes, very good point...surface rust is would be good..holes would be bad!
Old May 1st, 2010, 04:33 PM

My 70 Cutlass was about as rust free as one will find in Mass, the body had absolutely no rot, very minor surface rust on a very few isolated spots. Most of my rust, still minor has occured after having the car repainted. A few leakes developed around the trunk gutter causing some minor rust in the trunk and the rear window sprung a leak. All fixed now. Washing our cars I bet is the biggest source of rust now. I try not to wash it much.
Old May 1st, 2010, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Destructor
My 70 Cutlass was about as rust free as one will find in Mass, the body had absolutely no rot, very minor surface rust on a very few isolated spots. Most of my rust, still minor has occured after having the car repainted. A few leakes developed around the trunk gutter causing some minor rust in the trunk and the rear window sprung a leak. All fixed now. Washing our cars I bet is the biggest source of rust now. I try not to wash it much.
Maybe there is hope after all-your car sounds like it is in awesome shape, especially being in Mass.! I agree 100% on the washing theory. Detailing spray would be the way to go.
Old May 1st, 2010, 05:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by jerseyjoe
This term seems to have different meaning to different folks
Sadly, I've posted the same thing at various times in the past. It seems that to many sellers, "rust free" means "rust not currently visible under the bondo and new paint". Of course, the seller's reaction is always "gee, I didn't even know it was there..."
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Sadly, I've posted the same thing at various times in the past. It seems that to many sellers, "rust free" means "rust not currently visible under the bondo and new paint". Of course, the seller's reaction is always "gee, I didn't even know it was there..."
I hear you! last 2 responses for me were basically...."you know the frame rails are both cracked b/t wheel well and rear bumper" response...they are, what do they hold????? and "you realize that the frame is rusted through right" response...really...what does that mean????
Old May 1st, 2010, 07:54 PM
car guy

I know you wanted a 68 but my 66 is for sale. Its original paint so there is nothing to hide.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:54 AM
Registered

The term "rust free" means no charge for the rust and "flawless" means there isn't a floorpan left.

It took me a few years to find my GTO convertible. I just wanted a red car with factory AC and no rust.
I haven't washed it in 15 years, a light sponge bath at the most.
The nice cars come out of the southleft and northleft, CA cars can be nice but it depends on where they were there.
The cars are out there, I found my Vista Cruiser in Wisconsin through the local OCA chapter website, took a few months. It was transported there from CA in '91 and a planned resto never happened. It sat in a heated garage for 15 years until I got it, the only rust was surface rust from sunburned paint.
They're selling cheap now, seen a few western clean ones that need restorations go for around a grand lately. Probably be junked after they have the engines and front clips pulled for a 442 or Cutlass resto as usual.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:14 AM

Don't be scared off by some true surface rust on formerly painted surfaces. It's rust between layers of metal in areas difficult to get at that is bad. Check trunks thoroughly, crawl in and look behind rear window and wheel well areas. Sometimes you'll find the usual rot hole behind the front or rear wheels but still have a very solid otherwise "rust free" car. I also had a 71 Caddy that was "rust free" but it did have two silver dollar sized holes behind the front wheels, the rest of the car was awesome. It was an easy fix when the car was repainted.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:05 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I feel for you and know exactly what you are going thru. I went thru the same thing while shopping for my car.
I spent alot of time,wasted lots of gas and travel to arrive at a persons house to inspect a car only to find the car was misrepresented on the phone and pictures.
Also,I did come to realize when dealing with cars that are 40 years old,it's very hard to find them without some sort of rust and or problems.Especially when you are somewhat of a perfectionist and have an eye for detail like I am.

Keep looking,you'll find something.

It's sad that you can't be trusting and take someone else's word.If you do you will get screwed...I lost out on a $200 deposit I was stupid enough to leave a guy,going on his word and deceptive pictures.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I know you wanted a 68 but my 66 is for sale. Its original paint so there is nothing to hide.
Awesome car, thanks for the offer, I really am looking for a 68 though. My grandfather had one when I was young and have wanted one since.. good luck on selling yours, it looks beautiful

Originally Posted by Destructor
Don't be scared off by some true surface rust on formerly painted surfaces. It's rust between layers of metal in areas difficult to get at that is bad. Check trunks thoroughly, crawl in and look behind rear window and wheel well areas. Sometimes you'll find the usual rot hole behind the front or rear wheels but still have a very solid otherwise "rust free" car. I also had a 71 Caddy that was "rust free" but it did have two silver dollar sized holes behind the front wheels, the rest of the car was awesome. It was an easy fix when the car was repainted.
Thanks and I hear you, believe me if the last one just had a couple spots I would have went for it. But when the frame rail is rotted through along with the trunk and quarters I have to walk away

Originally Posted by w-30dreamin
I feel for you and know exactly what you are going thru. I went thru the same thing while shopping for my car.
I spent alot of time,wasted lots of gas and travel to arrive at a persons house to inspect a car only to find the car was misrepresented on the phone and pictures.
Also,I did come to realize when dealing with cars that are 40 years old,it's very hard to find them without some sort of rust and or problems.Especially when you are somewhat of a perfectionist and have an eye for detail like I am.

Keep looking,you'll find something.

It's sad that you can't be trusting and take someone else's word.If you do you will get screwed...I lost out on a $200 deposit I was stupid enough to leave a guy,going on his word and deceptive pictures.
I would like to say these folks were deceptive, honestly I just feel they have no idea what they are looking at. The typical B-J wave runners that just "had to get one" b/c it was the popular thing to do. I guess I am a bit of a perfectionist as well, always like the saying that if you don't have time to do it right the 1st time where are you going to find the time to do it again
Not giving up...just waiting for something to come along. Very nice car by the way

Thanks everyone for all of the kind responses!
Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:09 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

thanks for the compliment JerseyJoe and good luck with the hunt,please let us know when you find something
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Shizzy

X2
From Minnesota as well and that really is the therory up here. If I were to build another car from the ground up. I'd want to see everything I'm dealing with. My 62 looked kind of clean and needing some small repairs. After bringing it back from the blaster I realized I was in for a lot more reconstructive surgery.

Rust free= No holes IMO.

My favorite is looking at cars on craigslist or ebay that say "rust free" and in the photos you can see a piece of sheetmetal disolving away.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 09:56 AM

It comes down to checking a car thoroughly, especially evidence of long term leaks. Rot from the inside out will most likely be more widespread than rot which began from the outside. There are a lot of nice cars out there that will still need some work, the key is will that work be mostly isolated to the known problem areas at the time of purchase or will more be discovered during restoration. I've been lucky with my 2 cars I restored in that almost no surprses were revealed.
Old May 6th, 2010, 12:37 AM

Cool

Jerseyjoe, I feel ya buddy...I left Staten Island in 1979 in my rust free(and still) 1966 SS396 Chevelle Ragtop... I am doing a 66 442 now. I like to tell people on a naked goldwing website that here in the Central Valley of California we have more dust than rust. Not to say that we don't have any rust, two spots under the windshield and one under the back window and one spot the size of a quarter under the rear seat. But it is very minimal, now cars from the coast will exhibit some rust and aluminum corrosion , but nothing like what we had in NY
Old May 7th, 2010, 12:14 AM

Jerseyjoe, Check it out...............
http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/1687702643.html

Gene
Old May 10th, 2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by 64Rocket
Jerseyjoe, Check it out...............
http://reno.craigslist.org/cto/1687702643.html

Gene
Thanks Gene, looks nice in pictures, of course it is on the opposite end of the country making a quick visit out of the question

Last edited by jerseyjoe; May 10th, 2010 at 02:38 PM.