General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Soakless Washing

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2010, 05:05 AM

Soakless Washing

At this point I bet most of the rust we get on our cars is from washing, I don’t wash my car much and I’m trying to not go over a quota of 3 wet washes per year. My car is garaged with a dust cover however it still tends to get grimy from use, I periodically spot wash with a rag bird poop etc. but it is impossible to avoid washing totally. How do people wash their cars with little to no water. I was thinking sponge bath, how much soap/type and how do I rinse the car. I am mostly interested in preventing water from getting down inside the doors and through the rear side windows and going down into the rocker panels. The car is rot free so I want to keep it that way. Ironically I find that the only way to get crap out of the bottom of the doors and front fenders, something always finds its way in there, is to stick a hose in there and flood the stuff out but I only do that once a year.
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:35 AM

I give my car a "sponge bath" in my garage. This forces me to not get crazy with the soap & water and flood my garage floor. I guess I use the method to wash my car as if I was waxing it. I just do one panel at a time. For areas where it is hard to reach, I have used an air hose to push out the debris or I have a small shop vac with some nice attachments that I use to vacuum out the water or dirt, etc.

A nice coat of wax helps prevent me from having to wash the entire car frequently. I just use a quick detailing spray to spot clean and it seems to be working well.

d1
Old July 13th, 2010, 05:43 AM

I thoroughly enjoy washing my car. Of course, I rarely wash the Olds because it needs new paint. I've never seen any concrete evidence that the water from washing a classic car will cause it to rust, especially if you are careful like Defiant1 and get all of the water out of the hard to reach places.