General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Strange Ticking Sounds from 1969 Cutlass S

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2012, 08:10 AM

Strange Ticking Sounds from 1969 Cutlass S

I've been driving the car with no issues over the last couple of years and it generally runs great for a 350 2bl with a turbo 350 tranny. The car rarely gets over 190 degrees when highway driving and stays between 170 and 180 when cruising on city streets at 40 mph or so. Oil pressure on startup is 60psi and will level off when warmed up at 45-50 psi when driving city streets. At stop lights the pressure will drop to 18 psi or so after a highway drive and in city driving at stop lights will generally stay between 20-22psi. Car has good power and will peel both tires on the posi unit though I do this very rarely since it's a cruiser for me right now more than a racer. Enough for background

I plan on selling the motor and tranny combo in the spring to be replaced with a racey 455 and turbo 400 and want to be as honest as possible to the buyer. In that regard I've always had this ticking sound coming from the rear area of the valve cover passenger side ever since I've owned the car. I've used rislone and it helped a bit but it's still there. I really don't want to go through opening the valve covers and changing things but some suggestions on possible causes would help me determine if I should do it myself or pass on the suggestions to the buyer as my brother recommends.

I also have this loud ticking sound as I best describe it coming from the flywheel area under the car. Again it's been there since the beginning but I haven't noticed any adverse affects to the car. The car never came with a flywheel cover so I guess when they rebuilt the motor a few years ago they lost it or didn't bother putting it back. I had a 3.23 posi put in over the spring along with new front discs for reference but the sound has always been there. Again any suggestions or ideas for me and my brother would be great. He says leave it alone and drive as a cruiser for now which is fine but I'd like to be as thorough and honest to the buyer. He has some ideas but I'd like to get some more from the experts here

Since sound and pictures are worth a thousand words I've provided links below to high def videos of each issue. The flywheel sound location is done with the car in park and in drive. I also have a video of the valve cover ticking. Please excuse my shaky hands and rookie descriptions. Thank You for any help guys.

1969 Cutlass S
350 2bl
Turbo 350
3.23 posi

Last edited by atkinsom; August 18th, 2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old August 18th, 2012, 09:46 AM

The videos are restricted as private on youtube, so if you want us to hear it you may need to change that. The tick is more than likely an exhaust leak. When the car is running, move your hand around the exhaust manifolds and feel if there is any exhaust blowing out. Also, check around the area where your manifolds meet the down-pipe. If we can have access to the videos, a better diagnosis can be offered.
Old August 18th, 2012, 12:26 PM

Oops sorry guys the videos in the first post are not restricted anymore...my bad you should be able to click and listen now. I'll check for exhaust leaks as mentioned above in the meantime...hopefully I'll distinguish normal air circulation from a leak...will it make any distinct sounds if there's a leak? Thanks again everyone for any assistance.

Last edited by atkinsom; August 18th, 2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old August 18th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by atkinsom
I really don't want to go through opening the valve covers and changing things but some suggestions on possible causes would help me determine if I should do it myself or pass on the suggestions to the buyer as my brother recommends.
Do whatever you want, but that sounds like a rocker tick to me.
Takes about five minutes to remove the valve cover and either tighten the loose bolt, or replace the worn lifter pivot with a new one (about $6 at the auto parts store).
Could be a collapsed lifter, but that's less likely.

You mean to tell us you've been driving around for years like that?!?

I also have this loud ticking sound as I best describe it coming from the flywheel area under the car.
That sounds a bit too sharp and metallic for an exhaust leak, though its not out of the question.
Are you sure your converter bolts are tight?
Any chance there's something hitting a balance weight on the converter or the flexplate?

- Eric
Old August 18th, 2012, 03:23 PM

really when it boils down to it, your gonna have to get your hands dirty, like what already been stated, try to feel around for leaking exhaust, put some seafoam down the throat of the carb while its running, that creates a ton of smoke, itll bellow out of any leak in the exhaust, however it is very common for oldsmobile engines to break the rocker arm bridge, or maybe one of the bolts came loose. most likely issues.
Old August 18th, 2012, 04:45 PM

Thank You Eric for your suggestion. Sounds pretty easy the way you describe it and I've reviewed the process using the service manual I have. Just have to go out and buy some valve cover sealant and gasket after I reseat the cover. I'll also dive under and check the converter bolts.
Nah it hasn't been years but yes a few months to say the least only it's gotten a little louder lately...

Thanks Jeremiah I'll also use the seafoam trick as well if the rocker arm inspection yields no results. Thanks
Old August 18th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Administrator

It could also be a concave lifter/s. Oldsmobile inherently build up gunk if the oil has not been changed regularly. So if you have a ton of sludge built up under the valve covers, you most assuradly have it under the intake. Sometimes you can swap the rocker assy's with an adjoining set to see if the noise goes away or moves.

If you are selling the motor for a core price then leave it alone and just sell it as is.
Old August 19th, 2012, 10:09 AM

After being able to hear the sound, I retract my thoughts on an exhaust leak. It has too much of a solid sound to it. Almost a knock down below. I would put the car on a lift and see what you can find underneath.
Old August 21st, 2012, 08:30 AM

Anyone know any tricks to getting the valve cover off on the passenger side with an A/C unit in the car. I've tried to figure out a way to remove the top A/C bracket that sits over the valve cover and attaches to the intake manifold without having to remove the compressor. Went through the service manual but can't find anything specific or maybe I missed it. Going to check all the rockers as suggested above. Thanks for any help guys.
Old August 21st, 2012, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Just keep removing stuff until you can get it off. Don't disconnect the A/C lines, just swing the unit out of the way. Yes, it is a PITA!
Old August 21st, 2012, 09:34 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Agreed: it's annoying, but it's just a matter of disassembly.

You have to remove the belt and flop the compressor over to one side or the other.
Those brackets can be more complicated than they look, so take pictures as you go.

- Eric
Old August 21st, 2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Agreed: it's annoying, but it's just a matter of disassembly.

You have to remove the belt and flop the compressor over to one side or the other.
Those brackets can be more complicated than they look, so take pictures as you go.

- Eric
Old August 21st, 2012, 09:55 AM

Hi is this the same Eric that bought quarter panel from 70 olds 455 for 68 or 69 cutlss convertible
Old August 21st, 2012, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Supermarkdowns
Hi is this the same Eric that bought quarter panel from 70 olds 455 for 68 or 69 cutlss convertible
It's a bird.. it's plane...

NO! it's some guy cruising down the new england highways in a hot-pink delta 88.

Not sure if he has a 68 or 69 cutlass. Maybe chevelle though?
Old August 21st, 2012, 10:35 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I also have this loud ticking sound as I best describe it coming from the flywheel area under the car. Again it's been there since the beginning but I haven't noticed any adverse affects to the car. The car never came with a flywheel cover so I guess when they rebuilt the motor a few years ago they lost it or didn't bother putting it back.
1969 Cutlass S
350 2bl
Turbo 350
3.23 posi
I had a noise like that on my car MANY miles and years ago. It was a stuck lifter. Fair bit of work to replace, but it solved the problem. The unfortunate part is that if you have a stuck lifter, you'll also be pulling the intake manifold
Old August 21st, 2012, 10:45 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Sorry, Mark [downs], different guy.

Besides, who needs quarter panels when you've got a gallon of Bondo and a roll of tinfoil?

- Eric