General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Thorton O.I.A hoods

Search this Thread

Old December 10th, 2010, 04:06 PM

Thorton O.I.A hoods

This was posted at Olds Google groups, thought I would copy it here.
Hello;

The W25Oldsmobile Ram-Air hoods I offer are the same construction as the original GMhoods. Our hoods have a full stamped steel frame with wire mesh screenattached. We are in the process of retooling the molds for the top fiberglassskins and inner scoop box.

Our past hoodswere RTM injection molds made of fiberglass and the molds are starting to breakdown from wear and tear, creating some issues with making a superiorpart. To resolve the issues we are retooling with an S M C compressionmold.

The companyproducing this mold has promised a 20 week turn around time for completion ofthe new molds and we will have our first samples in March 2011. The molds willbe made out of solid steel; previous molds were made out of fiberglass withsteel reinforcements. The steel will be CNC machined out for exacttolerances. An original W25 hood has been digitized to produce an exact caddesign, top and bottom.

SMC is theexact way GM produces the new Corvette panels. These molds will help us producethe best hoods we have ever produced. The S M C material is cut intopatterns and laid into the mold that is attached to 1500 ton press and hasveins in the steel to heat molds to 300 degrees. Production of these molds isjust under $500,000.00.

Sampleswill be at my shop in March 2011 so that we can attach them to the undersidesteel frame. We can then test fit the hood to one of our cars to assure properfit.

We are nowaccepting $1,500.00 check deposit to be put on the pre-order/wait list. Thehoods will be built to order in the order that deposits are received. Allpre-order hoods will be priced at $2,295.00. Once the hoods are in stockin April 2011 the hoods will be $2,495.00.

Please callwith any questions.

Thanks foryour time,
Troy Thornton
Thornton Reproductions LLC.
610-282-2494
www.thorntonmusclecars.com

Look for us on Facebook for hood updates!
Old December 19th, 2010, 09:51 AM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Thanks for posting this! I took the info and ran with it. I have had everything I need for OAI ,except the hood for about a year now. Been waiting for the word from Troy.

When I seen this last week,it made my day
Old December 20th, 2010, 01:05 PM
1970 442

Wow, only a $200 difference if you pay now verses later? I've seen dozens of projects like this, and quite often the target date gets pushed back months, sometimes years. And sometimes the product never comes out. The vendor claims they ran into 'production issues'. Asking for money up front is a business tactic I do not appreciate.

Thorton IS reliable, and an excellent vendor, but just be careful. In this economy, lots of businesses ask for money up front, they put that money in THEIR account, THEY make the interest off it, and sometimes the product never comes out, and they are very reluctant to refund a $1500.00 deposit. And even if they do, they made money off your money sitting in their account.

Keep your money in the bank, and collect $200 in interest, then buy this hood when (and if) it comes out. Sometimes the pre-production units are not the best quality too.
Old December 20th, 2010, 06:47 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

All very good points to consider,thanks
Old December 21st, 2010, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by WhatIf
Wow, only a $200 difference if you pay now verses later? I've seen dozens of projects like this, and quite often the target date gets pushed back months, sometimes years. And sometimes the product never comes out. The vendor claims they ran into 'production issues'. Asking for money up front is a business tactic I do not appreciate.

Thorton IS reliable, and an excellent vendor, but just be careful. In this economy, lots of businesses ask for money up front, they put that money in THEIR account, THEY make the interest off it, and sometimes the product never comes out, and they are very reluctant to refund a $1500.00 deposit. And even if they do, they made money off your money sitting in their account.

Keep your money in the bank, and collect $200 in interest, then buy this hood when (and if) it comes out. Sometimes the pre-production units are not the best quality too.
X2 great advice
Old December 21st, 2010, 03:42 PM

I wanna know where you can get $200.00 in interest for $1500.00 in the amount of time it takes for Thornton to produce that hood!. The Thornton guys are exceptional people and I wouldn't hesitate to "pay to get in line" for one of their hoods. I'm in the market for a ram-air hood but the car I'm playing with doesn't warrant that expense or quality--- a decent aftermarket is fine for this particular project. If I needed a top-shelf piece I would rather pay them for a perfect NEW hood than $3-4k for some 40 year old original that isn't ready for paint. Those guys aren't doing this to run off with your deposits-- their work is great, their parts are great, their reputation is great. And, I don't think they would release an inferior product.
Old December 21st, 2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by WhatIf

i allready sent my $1500!! ive been waiting years for a thornton hood i missed his last run by a month i didnt want 2 miss it again!! ill be honest im a little worried because he said its all new i sure hope they come out like originals!! my 1500 is better with them,LOL!!!!! ill end up buying a project if i keep it
Old December 21st, 2010, 04:48 PM
1970 442

Originally Posted by Dave Siltman
I wanna know where you can get $200.00 in interest for $1500.00 in the amount of time it takes for Thornton to produce that hood!. The Thornton guys are exceptional people and I wouldn't hesitate to "pay to get in line" for one of their hoods. I'm in the market for a ram-air hood but the car I'm playing with doesn't warrant that expense or quality--- a decent aftermarket is fine for this particular project. If I needed a top-shelf piece I would rather pay them for a perfect NEW hood than $3-4k for some 40 year old original that isn't ready for paint. Those guys aren't doing this to run off with your deposits-- their work is great, their parts are great, their reputation is great. And, I don't think they would release an inferior product.

I'm not saying it would be their fault, but I've seen DOZENS of projects like this where, through no fault of the vendor, the supplier goes bankrupt, or the quality isn't what they thought it would be. Just don't put the cart before the horse. Plunking down $1500 on a product you haven't seen, haven't touched, will be produced in very limited quantities, to an extremely limited market, is not wise in this economy.
Old December 21st, 2010, 09:44 PM

I have a 1970 Thornton hood that is already painted blue with white stripes. I would sell it for $2K and you would not have to wait for Thornton, as they usually get backlogged pretty quickly as that has happened quite a lot in the past.