General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Top Sale at Mecum Houston

Search this Thread

Old April 11th, 2014, 11:44 AM

Top Sale at Mecum Houston

Well I must say I am proud to say that the top sale so far at the Mecum Houston auction is a 1971 W-30 Convertible. $117k

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=HA0414-187124

Last edited by Boilerz25; April 11th, 2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Oops typo (meant to be 71)
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:46 AM

Ahhh...1971 not 79.......thought that was a bit high for a 1979.
Old April 11th, 2014, 11:49 AM
delete

an automatic too
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:17 PM
Runner

Great looking car. Nice to see the price of finished Olds going up. Now all I need to do is restore my 442...
Old April 11th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by Boilerz25
Well I must say I am proud to say that the top sale so far at the Mecum Houston auction is a 1971 W-30 Convertible. $117k

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=HA0414-187124
Originally Posted by Joffroi
Nice to see the price of finished Olds going up.
I'm not at all happy to see that. I have yet to see anyone explain how high prices help any Olds enthusiast other than the seller. And I can give you a boatload of reasons it doesn't. I think its time we take off the rose colored glasses and see what this is really doing.
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
I'm not at all happy to see that. I have yet to see anyone explain how high prices help any Olds enthusiast other than the seller. And I can give you a boatload of reasons it doesn't. I think its time we take off the rose colored glasses and see what this is really doing.
Whatever,Parts cost ,Material costs,restoration cost all play into the end price of these cars. Get over it,

Greg
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Actually none of the above plays into the price of a car. All cars have the same costs to restore, it boils down to what the public likes at the time. It's the popularity of the model of car that sets a price and of course a buyer willing to stroke a check.
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Old(s) Fart

I'm kinda torn on this. The problem with all these high-dollar auctions is that everyone thinks their POS is worth $100K. The good news is that these sales DO help with popularity, which contributes to more repro parts being created and sold.
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Actually none of the above plays into the price of a car. All cars have the same costs to restore, it boils down to what the public likes at the time. It's the popularity of the model of car that sets a price and of course a buyer willing to stroke a check.
Im sorry I completely disagree that all cars cost the same to restore. I do restorations and that statement is completely inaccurate.

Greg
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Old(s) Fart

I'll also point out that on the car in question, look closely at the red inner fenders, particularly the bosses on the driver's side inner where the cruise control unit would mount. THOSE are real factory red inners, not repros.
Old April 11th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by rcktdoc
Im sorry I completely disagree that all cars cost the same to restore. I do restorations and that statement is completely inaccurate.

Greg

Greg, I did not say cost the same, I said same costs involved. In other words they all basically follow a sequence of events from start to finish. The price of those events can be a broad range depending on the car. However the recouping of investment is still based on model popularity and what people are willing to spend.

Compare a 67 442 to it's counterpart, a 67 SS Chevelle, or Pontiac GTO, or Buick GS. All A bodies, all bring different pricing at auction.
Old April 11th, 2014, 02:01 PM

OK sorry I missunderstood.

Greg
Old April 11th, 2014, 05:23 PM

She is a beauty. Convertible with only 40,000? To me it's worth lots, but what do I know? Just a dream to own one
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by rcktdoc
Whatever,Parts cost ,Material costs,restoration cost all play into the end price of these cars. Get over it,
Greg
There is nothing for me to get over. I'm quite aware of the costs involved to restore a car. You don't need to get an attitude and tell me what to do. I'll listen to anything constructive you have to say, but otherwise you can keep it to yourself.

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The good news is that these sales DO help with popularity, which contributes to more repro parts being created and sold.
I disagree. We don't need $100k cars to support the repo business. Yes there has to be some appreciable value to support that business. But it does not have to be to the other extreme. They need need to be valuable enough to support the business, but anything more that that is trouble.
Old April 11th, 2014, 06:46 PM

Excuse ME your Highness.

Greg
Old April 11th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Kurt, you are correct, seems that Oldsmobile is starting to get some traction in the collectable market. It's a double edged sword, the good point, is the price of the cars we own are going to start to go up, the bad is that it's going to get more expensive to us as buyers also.
Old April 11th, 2014, 08:00 PM

Re 117,000 71 442 W-30 convertible

Is it me- or bad camera angle, or is the stripe at the leading edge of the front left fender angled wrong, and set (back) to far from bumper clearance area stamped into fender? (note) include right front fender in my observations

Just it looks angled wrong to me in the photos on Mecum auction site.

Last edited by Bens71442; April 11th, 2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old April 11th, 2014, 10:03 PM

While I am no expert, I have been keeping meticulous notes on restoration costs for the last couple of cars I've done. Unless you stumble onto a helluva deal, it will cost you between 30 to 50k to get your resto done, all in, to a level that would satisfy/impress 90% of the people who read these boards (i. e. potential buyers) This takes into account everything needed that someone working out of the typical 2 car garage would need to sub out (machine shop, paint & body) so that 20k car you buy will have 50 to 70 thousand into it before the majority of people here would dream of putting in a major auction.
Old April 12th, 2014, 05:51 AM
Administrator

Even with a daily driver like mine, I purchased this car for $5k in 2009. I drove it everyday for 4 years to work and back except during big projects. I'd drive it a while, then work on it some. After going through, the powertrain, front suspension, body mounts, wheels/tires, brakes, paint, interior, etc... I have probably an additional $12k in it, not counting labor. It does not take long to rack the $$$'s up on a car.
Old April 12th, 2014, 07:00 AM

Even with a daily driver like mine, I purchased this car for $5k in 2009. I drove it everyday for 4 years to work and back except during big projects. I'd drive it a while, then work on it some. After going through, the powertrain, front suspension, body mounts, wheels/tires, brakes, paint, interior, etc... I have probably an additional $12k in it, not counting labor. It does not take long to rack the $$$'s up on a car.
While doing all that work and spending all that money. Why didnt you put an Olds motor in your car instead of a chevy?
Old April 12th, 2014, 07:10 AM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

I agree with Eric as it is a double edged sword. This is why I got outa mopars (well not completely), When Cuda's hit top of the market, the investors were ruling those rare cars (buy em up and stash em away), While great if you are an owner looking to sell. It takes alot of those rare cars off of show fields and streets. Everybody that has a rotting hulk in the south 40 thinks its worth 2 mil. Seems the 68-72 Cutlass is going the same direction. I noticed this pattern when I first got back into olds, and probably why I steered away from another Cutlass. JMO
Old April 12th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Gary

two years ago I participated in the Mecum in Houston. I wanted a 68 Olds Cutlass convertible. Lost out on the bid at end because I thought it was overpriced. I actually bidded more than I had planned because I really wanted that car. I had no idea that a Cutlass convertible would sell for 33,500. However the car was immaculate. This was the car http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...=HA0412-124194
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:02 AM

Kurt, you are correct, seems that Oldsmobile is starting to get some traction in the collectable market. It's a double edged sword, the good point, is the price of the cars we own are going to start to go up, the bad is that it's going to get more expensive to us as buyers also.
Originally Posted by barnfind
I agree with Eric as it is a double edged sword. This is why I got outa mopars (well not completely), When Cuda's hit top of the market, the investors were ruling those rare cars (buy em up and stash em away), While great if you are an owner looking to sell. It takes alot of those rare cars off of show fields and streets. Everybody that has a rotting hulk in the south 40 thinks its worth 2 mil. Seems the 68-72 Cutlass is going the same direction. I noticed this pattern when I first got back into olds, and probably why I steered away from another Cutlass. JMO
This is what I'm talking about and it doesn't end here. Not only are parts e more expensive, so are the services because as values go up so do the costs of services because of the demand. Up go insurance costs. Now how doe you feel about driving your big buck restored car?
Now look at what the big buck cars have attracted. Opportunists. A chance to make a buck without any regard to anything other than making a buck.
Look what has happened to the "gene pool" of the cars. We're saturated with fakes (call them what you want) of all kinds and even decent cars have had their pedigree ruined by someone trying to make a more valuable car from it. This is what bothers me the most. Nothing will be able to undo the damage that has been done here.
Also with high prices, you're much less likely to get a "good deal" on a car because there are hoards of resellers out there sniffing out every every opportunity to but and sell. There are the "Ebay Showcars" out there that will never make it into the hands of enthusiasts because they are overpriced and just bounce from flipper to flipper.
Double edge sword? Okay, let's look at the other side of it.
1. You get more when you sell it.
2. You get your ego stroked by having something valuable and desirable.
Personally, I'd say say if there is anything to "get over", that is it.
I don't see the benefits of high prices weighing in.
But if high prices float your boat, have at it. I have my reasons.
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by f-85
While doing all that work and spending all that money. Why didnt you put an Olds motor in your car instead of a chevy?
To be honest the money spent on my car is no where near what it would cost to do a frame off concourse show car. It's just the cost of catching up on maint., some upgrades, and renewing the paint and interior. The enjoyment factor is priceless.

I would have never considered this swap if my car was a 442 and had the potential to be worth something down the road. The collectability factor of a run of the mill Cutlass is next to nill. Could I have cloned it into something it's not, probably. Then the purists would have had something else to argue about.

The Chevy engine fell into my lap with a transmission, I live in a small town and there is only one machine shop. I spent some considerable time investigating cost of my options. I weighed the cost of purchasing a core 455 at the time and the added expense of a transmission. I also looked into redoing my 330 and an upgraded transmission. So outside of upsetting a few purists that think an Olds needs to power an Olds, the Chevy swap in my case was financially a no brainer.

By the way I recently acquired a 455 and a T400. It's waiting in the wings for the day I get ambitious enough to go back with an Olds. There is nothing I did to this car that is not easily reversed and I still also have all the old parts that were removed.

So does it really matter that it has a Chevy power plant in it? The answer is no, it draws a lot of attention everywhere it goes. The positives of keeping one more Oldsmobile label on the road outway the negatives.
Old April 12th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

This is what I'm talking about and it doesn't end here. Not only are parts e more expensive, so are the services because as values go up so do the costs of services because of the demand. Up go insurance costs. Now how doe you feel about driving your big buck restored car?
Now look at what the big buck cars have attracted. Opportunists. A chance to make a buck without any regard to anything other than making a buck.
Look what has happened to the "gene pool" of the cars. We're saturated with fakes (call them what you want) of all kinds and even decent cars have had their pedigree ruined by someone trying to make a more valuable car from it. This is what bothers me the most. Nothing will be able to undo the damage that has been done here.
Also with high prices, you're much less likely to get a "good deal" on a car because there are hoards of resellers out there sniffing out every every opportunity to but and sell. There are the "Ebay Showcars" out there that will never make it into the hands of enthusiasts because they are overpriced and just bounce from flipper to flipper.
Double edge sword? Okay, let's look at the other side of it.
1. You get more when you sell it.
2. You get your ego stroked by having something valuable and desirable.
Personally, I'd say say if there is anything to "get over", that is it.
I don't see the benefits of high prices weighing in.
But if high prices float your boat, have at it. I have my reasons.

Yes, It takes alot of the fun factor out of the car, but theres not much one can do about it but sit back and watch or join in (supply vs demand). It also prices many would be owners out of the market. I watched many put second mortgages ,take out loans, pull retirements, just to get into that car theyve always wanted.
Old April 12th, 2014, 09:15 AM

To be honest the money spent on my car is no where near what it would cost to do a frame off concourse show car. It's just the cost of catching up on maint., some upgrades, and renewing the paint and interior. The enjoyment factor is priceless.

I would have never considered this swap if my car was a 442 and had the potential to be worth something down the road. The collectability factor of a run of the mill Cutlass is next to nill. Could I have cloned it into something it's not, probably. Then the purists would have had something else to argue about.

The Chevy engine fell into my lap with a transmission, I live in a small town and there is only one machine shop. I spent some considerable time investigating cost of my options. I weighed the cost of purchasing a core 455 at the time and the added expense of a transmission. I also looked into redoing my 330 and an upgraded transmission. So outside of upsetting a few purists that think an Olds needs to power an Olds, the Chevy swap in my case was financially a no brainer.

By the way I recently acquired a 455 and a T400. It's waiting in the wings for the day I get ambitious enough to go back with an Olds. There is nothing I did to this car that is not easily reversed and I still also have all the old parts that were removed.

So does it really matter that it has a Chevy power plant in it? The answer is no, it draws a lot of attention everywhere it goes. The positives of keeping one more Oldsmobile label on the road outway the negatives.
Well sounds like you are not much of an Olds guy. You could have kept the 330 in it, or went out and found a used motor. There are plenty of used motors out there for sale if money was a factor. And in my opinion YES it does matter that you put a chevy in it. The car deserves better! But thats just my opinion.
Old April 12th, 2014, 09:26 AM

A lot of crying in this thread. Its not 1978 anymore, these cars are not for sale on every street corner like they used to be. My old man bought a 58 Corvette in 1976 for 1,400 bucks. Not once have I heard him bellyache about Corvettes costing more now, parts being more expensive or opportunists ruining the Corvette hobby.

Gene pool, pedigree, blood lines, etc....THEY ARE F'ING CARS. Lets get real here, these arent dogs or race horses. How can Kurt bitch about prices AND bitch about pedigrees being ruined? The reason for the high prices on real cars is the so call pedigree. You cant have it both ways. Real cars bring real prices. End of story.

Kurt cant buy a 70 W30 for 3,000 anymore? Guess what, nobody can. And they havent been able to for a loooong time.

I have no problem with the auctions or the prices people pay. Honestly it has had no influence on anything Ive bought.
Old April 12th, 2014, 09:31 AM

And I tired of people complaning that these prices make everyone think their POS is worth 100,000. So what? Let them, no one is making you pay that. There are plenty of cars on craigslist that the owners are not asking an arm and leg for.

When the rusty basketcase cars start bringing 100,000 then its time to panic.
Old April 12th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by f-85
Well sounds like you are not much of an Olds guy. You could have kept the 330 in it, or went out and found a used motor. There are plenty of used motors out there for sale if money was a factor. And in my opinion YES it does matter that you put a chevy in it. The car deserves better! But thats just my opinion.

And personally in my opinion (that's the only opinion that counts in this conversation), the one who foots the bill gets to make the choices. If you want to step up, then your opinion will be considered. The ball is in your court my friend.
Old April 12th, 2014, 10:01 AM
Beer Connoisseur

So outside of upsetting a few purists that think an Olds needs to power an Olds, the Chevy swap in my case was financially a no brainer.
I agree with you, Chevy swap in most cases is a lot cheaper than rebuilding a Olds. Cheaper engines, cheaper parts, availability and waaay bigger selection of original and aftermarket parts makes it a no brainer. After all it's your car, do with it what makes you happy. It's the effect that matters.

I know this is a touchy subject here but it is what it is. JMO

My 383(69 Chevelle) was about $5k carb to pan, it puts out almost 500hp. I rev it up to 6-6500 rpm without worrying if it's gonna fall apart.

Last edited by 70cutty; April 12th, 2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old April 12th, 2014, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by TK-65
Gene pool, pedigree, blood lines, etc....THEY ARE F'ING CARS. Lets get real here, these arent dogs or race horses. How can Kurt bitch about prices AND bitch about pedigrees being ruined? The reason for the high prices on real cars is the so call pedigree. You cant have it both ways. Real cars bring real prices. End of story.
You're entitled to your opinion as am I. But I'm not trying to have anything both ways. You obviously don't understand what I'm saying. No need to get personal about it. You complain about crying and that's just what you are doing. Try understanding instead of criticizing. Then the story can truly be ended.
Old April 12th, 2014, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by TK-65
A lot of crying in this thread. Its not 1978 anymore, these cars are not for sale on every street corner like they used to be. My old man bought a 58 Corvette in 1976 for 1,400 bucks. Not once have I heard him bellyache about Corvettes costing more now, parts being more expensive or opportunists ruining the Corvette hobby.

Kurt cant buy a 70 W30 for 3,000 anymore? Guess what, nobody can. And they havent been able to for a loooong time.

I have no problem with the auctions or the prices people pay. Honestly it has had no influence on anything Ive bought.
I agree 100%

Greg
Old April 12th, 2014, 04:21 PM

You're entitled to your opinion as am I. But I'm not trying to have anything both ways. You obviously don't understand what I'm saying. No need to get personal about it. You complain about crying and that's just what you are doing. Try understanding instead of criticizing. Then the story can truly be ended.

I understand. You want Oldsmobiles to be your little secret. You dont like other people finding them, and spending money to get them. People that havent been around as long as you or put the time in you have, are buying up all the rare cars.

Im sorry but you cant stop new people from coming into the hobby and driving up those prices.
Old April 12th, 2014, 04:25 PM

Dam, you sound like a politition!

Greg
Old April 12th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Tree Row Hunter in N.D.

Lots of valid points to both sides of this sword. One good point from this (at least from mopars) was it did bring alot more builder type cars to market from the folks that had them stashed away. These types were looking to rebuild someday. When the maket value, along with parts costs went up. Many realized they were unable to build that car, and opted out. I think its good to discuss the fact that there is change as the car market increases.
Old April 12th, 2014, 05:14 PM

Thornton built 66 sold at B-J for 97,000.
Old April 12th, 2014, 05:28 PM

I DO notice the peeps who talk up the prices are also restorers. It's way better for them, because that's how they make their $. High prices mean if somebody comes into the restorer with a thrashed 69 GTO or whatever, they can point to recent high 69 GTO auction prices to justify a 100K restoration. I know the guy up here that restored one of the 1st REALLY high 1970 W-30 'vert car that sold at BJ's for like 175,000 a few years back. Cost of resto was 125,000 I think, car was junk to start with. Add the initial cost of the car, transport, fees...Only the resto shop made $ on it.
Old April 13th, 2014, 05:54 AM

I see Thorntons '70 OAI 4spd convert brought $115k at BJ,nice car!! Did anyone notice the valve covers on Mecums '71 W30 are on backwards?
Old April 15th, 2014, 08:31 AM

Geez! When I started this thread I was merely pointing out that the Oldsmobile is finally getting a little of the spotlight that was always given to the Camaro, Mustang and Mopars. Regardless of what your role is in the Oldsmobile community it should be taken as a positive. No need to get grumpy about others sharing a common interest.
Old April 15th, 2014, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Boilerz25
Geez! When I started this thread I was merely pointing out that the Oldsmobile is finally getting a little of the spotlight that was always given to the Camaro, Mustang and Mopars. Regardless of what your role is in the Oldsmobile community it should be taken as a positive. No need to get grumpy about others sharing a common interest.
I agree,we live it a capitalistic society and if somebody makes a $$$$ off of a car,so be it. The days of buying cheap cars are over with,granted there's a deal to be had every now and then but for the most part,it's over. The same people who pay big $$$ are speculators most of the time and not hobbyist. When the market tanks,they get hit hard and I don't feel sorry for them. You have to take the good with the bad if that happens. I'm glad that Olds are getting some of the spotlight too. Some of the same guys who complain about the high prices of cars are the same ones who don't think the same way when it comes time to sell.

Quick Reply: Top Sale at Mecum Houston