General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

what can be done and keep antique tags

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2012, 10:08 PM
1970 olds cutlass supreme

what can be done and keep antique tags

this is just a thought that i have always had,

I want to know what can be done to a cutlass such as engine work and such and still be able to keep antique tags.

My cutlass is all original minus few engine dress ups.
Old November 19th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.

Do you mean, which modifications to your car would cause you to lose the ability to register it as an antique?

If that's your question, then the answer will vary by state. Check your state's DMV / RMV / BMV web site.

- Eric
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:21 AM

Are you asking about antique tags for the current registration year? If so, you would need to get with the state to provide the criteria (type of insurance, and limited mileage in some states) to get those tags. It doesn't have anything to do with modifications, just the year the car was manufactured.

Not to confuse you, but you MAY be able to get a tag for the year of the car, I know that NC and SC will allow a 1970 plate on a 1970 car (and so on) IF those numbers were not currently in the DMV system, AND were registered as a personalized license plate. Again, research with the state DMV would determine the correct way to go about it.

John
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:23 AM

PA is a little tough on the appearance of the car and a friend of mine just went through this. His car (66 classic mini) had an option of body side trim but his car never came with it. The DMV shot him down when his pictures were sent to Harrisburg and they said his car had the moldings removed which was not the case. I think he bought moldings that were the stick on type that were close in appearance, he stuck them on, took new photos that were submitted, got everything approved and then removed them. I don't think he had to send any engine photos but I'm not sure as I type this. I have seen PA cars with Classic tags and with some of them, the only thing that looked classic was the fact that the car was a classic piece of crap.
As long as the exterior is completely stock, I think you'll be fine but do check with the DMV.
Brian
Old November 19th, 2012, 07:23 AM

This is interesting. I always thought it was just age. The few times I've registered a car as a collector vehicle, all they want to know is what model year it is. If it's 25 years old or more, it counts. No DMV person ever wanted to look at it for this purpose.
Old November 19th, 2012, 08:06 AM

Post Each state may be different

Originally Posted by rocket350

I want to know what can be done to a cutlass such as engine work and such and still be able to keep antique tags.

Each state may be different. Here's what Louisiana requires:
Antique Plates

A vehicle must be at least 25 years old to qualify for antique plates. Also, the vehicle must be maintained in its original condition, without significant changes to the manufacturer's specifications.
Applications for antique plates must contain a recent color photograph of the vehicle, along with notarized form DPSMV 1911. Or, if you belong to an antique car organization, you can submit a photocopy of your membership card instead of the completed form.

Initial application requests must be made through the mail at:
  • Office of Motor Vehicles
  • Specialized Plate & Title Unit
  • P.O. Box 64886
  • Baton Rouge, LA 70896-4886
While the plates don't need to be renewed, you will have to pay a $25 plate fee, along with $11.50 in miscellaneous fees. You can personalize the plates for an extra $25.

It's proven to be the best registration bargain I ever had; no renewals, no annual fees, no stickers, no plate changes. No one has ever re-checked the vehicles since the original application 20+ years ago. I suspect that only significant exterior changes "might" get attention. Louisiana also has a "street rod" plate which might be more appropriate for altered vehicles. But, as has been said, each state makes their own rules, so it's probably best to check with your own state's motor vehicle office.
Old November 19th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

This is state-by-state unique. Check your PA DMV website - the info will be there. Here in VA the only restriction is the car must be over 25 years old. Other states have different requirements, but nearly all have the info available on line.
Old November 19th, 2012, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by 69442C
PA is a little tough on the appearance of the car and a friend of mine just went through this. His car (66 classic mini) had an option of body side trim but his car never came with it. The DMV shot him down when his pictures were sent to Harrisburg and they said his car had the moldings removed which was not the case. I think he bought moldings that were the stick on type that were close in appearance, he stuck them on, took new photos that were submitted, got everything approved and then removed them. I don't think he had to send any engine photos but I'm not sure as I type this. I have seen PA cars with Classic tags and with some of them, the only thing that looked classic was the fact that the car was a classic piece of crap.
As long as the exterior is completely stock, I think you'll be fine but do check with the DMV.
Brian
Yea my friend was saying that when his grandfather applied for the tags he had to borrow wheels off of someone else who had the same car and take a picture of it.

And thanks everyone for your input. I will be looking into DMV and post what i find for other PA members
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:37 PM

This should give you an idea of what you will need.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ets/fs-ant.pdf

I think you'll need to find stock Super Stock wheels or correct wheel covers to use in place of the Chevy wheels and you might want to remove the aftermarket protectors around your door locks. My friend told me PA really busted his nads over small details. And if you register it as Antique, your driving of the car will be limited.

Brian
Old November 19th, 2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by 69442C
This should give you an idea of what you will need.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ets/fs-ant.pdf

I think you'll need to find stock Super Stock wheels or correct wheel covers to use in place of the Chevy wheels and you might want to remove the aftermarket protectors around your door locks. My friend told me PA really busted his nads over small details. And if you register it as Antique, your driving of the car will be limited.

Brian
i already have the tags

Let me try to rephase what i was originally asking

What can be done to a car and still be able to say, " yea its all original" or if i change something like say the wheels, will i lose the antique tags

such as, can i put the 4 barrel carb in place of the current 2 barrel, can i put a different oldsmobile steering wheel, and can i get bucket seats in place of the bench seat, and have a floor shifter instead of column shifter.

I hope that helps or should i make a list of everything i want to change or do on the car, and write everything here and u guys could give me a yes or no.

Thanks
Old November 19th, 2012, 03:47 PM

i already have the tags

What can be done to a car and still be able to say, " yea its all original" or if i change something like say the wheels, will i lose the antique tags

such as, can i put the 4 barrel carb in place of the current 2 barrel, can i put a different oldsmobile steering wheel, and can i get bucket seats in place of the bench seat, and have a floor shifter instead of column shifter.

I hope that helps or should i make a list of everything i want to change or do on the car, and write everything here and u guys could give me a yes or no.

Thanks
I think..... if you already have the tags, you can do pretty much whatever you want to the car?
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:00 PM

Ahh a local

Really I don't think they look too much into the engine. To get a classic (15 years and older) or antique (25 years and older) You must take 4 color photos of the car. One of the back, one of the front, and one of each side. If you keep it an Olds motor, you'll have no problems at inspection.

What year is your Cutlass?

You'll be limited to 5000 miles a year, if you go over that, the car is required to have a full inspection (emissions, etc)

I swapped a 350 Olds into my old Delta, and I'm going to be swapping in a 330 Olds in this Delta. They accepted my pics and I couldn't hide that the trunk clear coat was going and I forgot to remove the hitch ball
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:01 PM

i already have the tags

Thanks
No, you'll be fine. My first Delta had 14 inch rally wheels on it, in the appication, and it wasn't rejected

I think the only way you'll lose the plates is if you drive the car more than 5000 miles a year, for few years in a row
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Redog
Ahh a local

Really I don't think they look too much into the engine. To get a classic (15 years and older) or antique (25 years and older) You must take 4 color photos of the car. One of the back, one of the front, and one of each side. If you keep it an Olds motor, you'll have no problems at inspection.

What year is your Cutlass?

You'll be limited to 5000 miles a year, if you go over that, the car is required to have a full inspection (emissions, etc)

I swapped a 350 Olds into my old Delta, and I'm going to be swapping in a 330 Olds in this Delta. They accepted my pics and I couldn't hide that the trunk clear coat was going and I forgot to remove the hitch ball
hello fellow philadelphian, i have a 1970 with the 350 rocket

i put pics up in my gallery

i already have the antique registration, i just want to know if i do something other than drive over 5000 miles a yr, which i dont plan to do right now, can they take away the tags
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:25 PM

Never heard of it happening.

Besides, there has to be over 2 million cars in Philadelphia, I don't think they would have the time to check each one.
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:26 PM

As far as I know, the only people who could cause you an issue with the plates would be the police. You are exempt from any inspections so no worries there. I think if you are reasonable with what you do, then you should be fine. If you were to install 24" wheels, paint it some crazy color scheme, install a radical cam that was obvious to anyone within listening distance, you may get the attention of the police and have some issues. Under hood changes within reason should not be an issue at all.

I will say that you should do what you can to respect the antique plate guidelines by being reasonable with changes. When this type of thing gets out of hand, the state will just make it more difficult for others or could even kill the program all together. And that wouldn't be what many people would want to see.
Brian
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:29 PM

lol 24" rims on a car, NEVER, my theory is if u want a truck, buy a truck.

but yea i dont plan on doing anything crazy, just minor things, like dressing up engine and such
Old November 19th, 2012, 04:31 PM

but yea i dont plan on doing anything crazy, just minor things, like dressing up engine and such
Go for it and you'll be fine.
Old November 19th, 2012, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Ozzie
Each state may be different. Here's what Louisiana requires:
Antique Plates

A vehicle must be at least 25 years old to qualify for antique plates. Also, the vehicle must be maintained in its original condition, without significant changes to the manufacturer's specifications.
Applications for antique plates must contain a recent color photograph of the vehicle, along with notarized form DPSMV 1911. Or, if you belong to an antique car organization, you can submit a photocopy of your membership card instead of the completed form.

Initial application requests must be made through the mail at:
  • Office of Motor Vehicles
  • Specialized Plate & Title Unit
  • P.O. Box 64886
  • Baton Rouge, LA 70896-4886
While the plates don't need to be renewed, you will have to pay a $25 plate fee, along with $11.50 in miscellaneous fees. You can personalize the plates for an extra $25.

It's proven to be the best registration bargain I ever had; no renewals, no annual fees, no stickers, no plate changes. No one has ever re-checked the vehicles since the original application 20+ years ago. I suspect that only significant exterior changes "might" get attention. Louisiana also has a "street rod" plate which might be more appropriate for altered vehicles. But, as has been said, each state makes their own rules, so it's probably best to check with your own state's motor vehicle office.
Louisiana will also allow you to apply a plate of the same year of manufacture to your car, with no renewals or fees after the initial fee. I think mine was $50 for a 70-71 plate for my 70 Olds. As you can see, mine is not an original color, so they are not too hung up on the originality. I do have an Olds engine but was never asked about it.

Hey Ozzie, what part of the bayou are you in???

Last edited by Bayou Olds; November 19th, 2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Old November 19th, 2012, 06:24 PM

Does the Commonwealth do a yearly odometer check?

What happens if the odometer becomes inoperative? or is only functional intermittently? and only you know that it is inoperative?
Old November 19th, 2012, 11:19 PM

Smile Not far from you

Hey Ozzie, what part of the bayou are you in???[/QUOTE]

Harahan, a western suburb of New Orleans.
Old November 20th, 2012, 06:42 AM

In New Mexico, it costs about a dollar and a half per year to have a "horseless carriage" plate.

"A "horseless carriage" is a motor vehicle at least 35 years old, owned as a collector's item, and used solely for exhibition and educational purposes. Upon transfer of ownership of a horseless carriage, the registration plate remains with the vehicle. A horseless carriage plate must be revalidated every five years. Fee: $17.50 initially, then $7.50 every five years upon revalidation."
Old November 20th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

What can be done to a car and still be able to say, " yea its all original"
Well, change anything from how it left the factory and it's no longer "original" (or "numbers-matching", but that's a different rant... ).

How this relates to antique tags is a function of your state laws. Again, check your DMV website.
Old November 21st, 2012, 01:59 PM

Drive past you everyday on my way to wok. I'm down in Houma but work in the CBD.
Old November 21st, 2012, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by a64olz
Does the Commonwealth do a yearly odometer check?

What happens if the odometer becomes inoperative? or is only functional intermittently? and only you know that it is inoperative?

Actually PA just passed a new law that cars 1975 and older can use a license plate that is the same age as the car. You should try to find a 1971 plate on eBay. They look pretty cool
Old November 22nd, 2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Redog

Actually PA just passed a new law that cars 1975 and older can use a license plate that is the same age as the car. You should try to find a 1971 plate on eBay. They look pretty cool
i thought the dmv issued that sort of plate
Old November 26th, 2012, 04:22 PM

It's the orginal plate issued when the car came out. At least that's the way I read it