General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Who's Going to the NAOC Nationals in Elmira Next Week?

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2013, 06:26 PM

Who's Going to the NAOC Nationals in Elmira Next Week?

I'll be there Thursday 6/20 for the morning and out to run the track at Watkins Glen in the afternoon. The way it's raining around here I'm pretty sure it's going to be a wet ride. I might even show back up on Saturday if it's a nice day.
Old June 10th, 2013, 07:59 PM
72 Olds CS

http://www.antiqueolds.org/
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:30 AM

No one?

I'll be there tomorrow morning sometime to check in and grab something to eat. Then to Watkins Glen in the afternoon. Look for the red 68 convertible with the car seat in the back .
Old June 19th, 2013, 03:01 PM

We will be there but unfortunately not until Friday mid day. Hope to see a good turn out
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:34 PM

We are driving down tomorrow afternoon and coming home on Saturday, looking forward to seeing everyone there!!!
Old June 19th, 2013, 07:08 PM

I hope I'll end up meeting up with some of you but it seems like all I hear are crickets when I bring this meet up. I don't think it's very big and I wish it was a little more organized. I looked everywhere for an itinerary so I could get some idea of what time things are happening tomorrow and nothing seems to be posted. I may stop back down Saturday but I've got family coming over in the afternoon so I can't stay long. I have to work Friday, so that's out completely.
Old June 20th, 2013, 06:19 AM

I have never been to a NAOC meet. I hear they are much friendlier and less political than the OCA so I want to see for myself. But, many if not all members are also members of the OCA, so there will be some familiar faces. I have been told that it is small scale around 100-150 cars. The intinerary is listed in their monthly publication. The actual show and judging are on Saturday.
Hope to see some new (and Olds) faces there
Old June 20th, 2013, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by olds68
I have never been to a NAOC meet. I hear they are much friendlier and less political than the OCA so I want to see for myself. But, many if not all members are also members of the OCA, so there will be some familiar faces. I have been told that it is small scale around 100-150 cars. The intinerary is listed in their monthly publication. The actual show and judging are on Saturday.
Hope to see some new (and Olds) faces there
Yes Glen, THE NAOC meets are MUCH laid back! I have been to two of these events in the Bay State (2001 and 2007).
Old June 20th, 2013, 06:26 PM

I spent the day there today. Everyone was very nice but it's a much older crowd than the typical car show. I've never been to an OCA event but I've been told that's a pretty old crowd too. I was disappointed in the number of 64-78 cars there. I understand they only opened it up to the later year cars in the last three years. I was told that this years meet has a lot less cars than last years and many less 64-78. There is only one other 442 registered and it's a 65. olds68's and mine are the only 68's registered. There are only a few 70-72's. One's a nice, highly documented 70 W31 from Illinois. I spent quite a while talking with the owner today. Ours were the only 68-72 a-bodys there today except for a nice 70 vista wagon with an OAI hood.

I took the trip to Watkins Glen for a few laps around the track. It was a BLAST but the Pace Car was only going about 40mph. I had to really hold back to get it up to 85 and slide it through a few turns. I think the pace car was going extra slow because there were some really old cars that couldn't have handled much more than that speed.

These were the cars behind me:

Last edited by allyolds68; June 20th, 2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old June 20th, 2013, 08:05 PM

Mike, your 68 looks great in the pic you posted. Didn't know about the show... Maybe next year. It's about 4 hrs north of me, not too bad. Looks like you have one of the newer models (from the pic you took of cars that were behind you). No wonder the pace car did 40!

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I spent the day there today. Everyone was very nice but it's a much older crowd than the typical car show. I've never been to an OCA event but I've been told that's a pretty old crowd too. I was disappointed in the number of 64-78 cars there. I understand they only opened it up to the later year cars in the last three years. I was told that this years meet has a lot less cars than last years and many less 64-78. There is only one other 442 registered and it's a 65. olds68's and mine are the only 68's registered. There are only a few 70-72's. One's a nice, highly documented 70 W31 from Illinois. I spent quite a while talking with the owner today. Ours were the only 68-72 a-bodys there today except for a nice 70 vista wagon with an OAI hood.

I took the trip to Watkins Glen for a few laps around the track. It was a BLAST but the Pace Car was only going about 40mph. I had to really hold back to get it up to 85 and slide it through a few turns. I think the pace car was going extra slow because there were some really old cars that couldn't have handled much more than that speed.

These were the cars behind me:

Old June 21st, 2013, 03:25 AM

Thanks for the pics! We're on our way. See you there.
Old June 21st, 2013, 06:06 AM

I had hoped to go to this show, especially as I just joined the NAOC but timing didn't allow for it, plus neither of my cars are ready for a show right now.

My friend is there with one of his '76 Ninety Eight coupes and said there is a '76 Ninety Eight sedan there as well. He said it's a really nice show so far. They got really lucky with the weather these past few days!
Old June 21st, 2013, 07:09 AM
72 Olds CS

Wow those pics look great kinda funny only a few 68-72s but given the history not to surprising....exclusion rarely promotes growth.

The weather has/will be perfect low humidity and not to hot .... 6 plus hours from me so yeah take more pics everyone and post em here
Old June 21st, 2013, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by olds68
Thanks for the pics! We're on our way. See you there.
I won't be back there Saturday . We've got family coming over all day. Have fun and take a few pics and post them. You'll be the only 68 a-body there
Old June 22nd, 2013, 06:54 PM
"me somebody" site member

I was there yesterday (Friday), by remarkable coincidence had a wedding in Elmira today (Saturday) and stopped by to check it out. I was told Saturday was the better day to see the most cars on the show "field", as that was when the judging happens, but was unable to make it back for that. Still saw some fine cars yesterday, my fav. being a 1962 Jetfire 4 speed car with white vintyl top and power windows. I am no expert on these cars, but could find no fault with it. Will post some pics of it and some other fine vehicles later on. Yes, the crowd was older, but likely wiser too. I would have liked the chance to show off my Jetstar there; seemed like a gracious group of people.