General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Why are people such gigantic jerks?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2012, 01:17 PM
1971 Cutlass S

Why are people such gigantic jerks?!?!?!?

Someone actually keyed my car sometime today or yesterday! WTF would cause someone to do something so destructive to one of these old cars? I am so pissed off right now, that if I caught someone screwing with my car - I would end up in jail after beating them senseless.

I don't park in two spots, I don't drive like an ***, I just don't get it. My car is far from perfect, does need paint, but that's besides the point - you just don't screw with someones classic car!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Old June 29th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Administrator

A-holes! I have always respected others cars and would never take my frustrations out on anyones. I prefer to do bodily damage to peoples bodies!
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Man, I am soo sorry to hear that. I don't know why they do that. Must be incredibly jealous. Hope your insurance covers it ok.

If you find out who did it, I'll send Ma, Vinnie and Guido over to smarten em up. They may not be able to eat for a while with broken fingers though.....
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:25 PM

I believe there are people whose nature is to be destructive. They hate to see anyone have anything they can't have or won't work for.
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:27 PM

Sorry friend,

It's just senceless vandalism.
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:43 PM
71 cutlass convertible

I believe that a sizable chunk of the population should be removed for the good of the rest of the population.

Larry
Old June 29th, 2012, 02:52 PM

Had the same thing happen to my 55 about three years ago, keyed my trunk lid in a Raley's parking lot. I'm not sure what I would have done then if I would have seen them doing it, In my youth I tended to be a pugilist and have a bit of a temper, now I'm a busted up old man but I might have reverted back to my old ways seeing some one mess with my Mistress....Tedd
Old June 29th, 2012, 02:59 PM

Oh man that sucks! Probably some stupid teen or Leaf driving douche.
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:19 PM

Over here in Brooklyn, NY, nobody respects other people properties. You cannot have anything nice. Is it jealousy or they're just a total azzholes. I would love to drive my car around but there's so many people who just dont give a damn. I take my cars out early in the morning because there's nobody around and then i park it back in the garage.
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Big Daddy No Bucks

It takes a real phallus to fork around with someone's ride.

A perfect example why I could never be a cop.

If I saw what they did & saw you beating them into a coma after .....

I would actually NOT see anything ... if you catch my drift.

Unfortunately ... your typical bleeding heart sheeple tend to frown upon that sort of thing.
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:28 PM

Very sorry to hear - hope your insurance can help you out some...
I hate people like this - hope karma comes around and bites him/her in the ***.

Originally Posted by citcapp
I believe there are people whose nature is to be destructive. They hate to see anyone have anything they can't have or won't work for.
Very true - happens a lot in big cities, just like here in dallas.
Then there are the snooty snobs that think they are higher up and look down on everyone else.
These are reasons I do not want to ever park mine around here unattended. Either it will be damaged or stolen.

It could have also been one of those eco-wico-fanatics who wants to damage any vehicle that gets less than xx mpg. Someone around here did that to hummers but thankfully was caught. One owner put a camera on his H2 and caught the guy red handed when he damaged his.

If you do catch the culprit, make sure you leave no evidence! Sanitary manholes work great!
"When they are too big to flush, plug 'em and dunk 'em........."
Old June 29th, 2012, 03:42 PM

That is sad. I hate to sound paranoid but there seems to be more and more of this going on as well as these things getting stolen. My garage is behind the house so the car is kinda hidden. With that though the garage is not opened unless someone is pulling out and my car is never parked in front of the house on the driveway. You just don't know what peoples intentions are. I mean is the guy walking down the street really admiring your ride and asking questions or, is he checking out how hard or easy it would be to steal or damage...?
Old June 29th, 2012, 05:37 PM

Lets face it, most people are pretty cool, but there's always a few bad apples mixed in. Keep in mind, many of these should've been committed to mental institutions years ago, and don't even know what planet they're on. Haven't had a car intentionally scratched, but had a couple break in's. While the mention of crazy's. Was driving through a parking lot, when the car in front stopped and started backing into me. I hit the horn a few times, and guy jumped out sceaming at me "F" this "F" that, about a parking spot he passed up. Had no idea what was going on, and was drawing a crowd. Tell me this guy wasn't mentally ill.
Old June 29th, 2012, 06:37 PM

Man that's just wrong !!! A lot of people nowadays don't have respect for anybody who tries to keep there things nice ,both my daily drivers have dents ,scratches and such and know it wasn't my doing .Pisses me off bodywork and repair is expensive .I'll never drive my Cutlass to work ,to many idiots with shopping carts that just let wander around.
I truly hope you can get it fixed by your insurance by a reputable body shop.Good Luck
Old June 29th, 2012, 06:51 PM

I'm fairly certain this boils down to jealousy. When jealousy takes over someone they resort to things such as this. So sorry to hear that about your car. I hope you're insurance covers that..
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:05 PM

I know how you feel. I had a window smashed out on my daily driver when it was parked in a parking lot during the day. I always have a steering wheel lock on it when it is parked for safety.
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Sammy70 455 Supreme

That just plain sucks!,.

You know , my Mom would always say if it is not yours, DO NOT TOUCH!!
It's sad when people do not respect what others have earned...
Sorry about your ride.......
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:10 PM

Oxygen thief...

I had that happen to my car before I painted it - I chock it up to being envious. Probably a kid that drove a 1990 Sunfire he got from a dead aunt. I only drive my car to shows, work, or to a place that I won't leave it unseen. My full coverage insurance knows how people are and they will only cover damage in those instances. If I drive it to a mall and it gets stolen, I'm out of a car and not covered.
Old June 29th, 2012, 07:19 PM

Damn that sucks, sorry to hear.

Just remember, Karma is a bitch

My guess, somebody visiting the shore this weekend
Old June 29th, 2012, 09:01 PM

Sorry to hear man, Im 19 and I currently work at a Grocery store while im home from school. Last summer some careless a-hole either shoved or just left thier cart out in the parking lot and it made 2 nice big ol dents in my driverside fender of my 69 Cutlass and of course that is where I spent all the time doing body work and paint. I park all the way to the left of the parking lot where the likely hood of a wandring cart is low and yet some how, man I feel ya, Good luck with the clean up.
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:29 PM

I usually assume its environmentalists... Its part of the crappy attitude that anything they dislike should be abolished. There are many things in the world that I dislike, as we all have certain things; but most sensible people understand its something you just have to live with. I personally don't drink, but I don't feel the need to punch out drunks as they leave the bar.

Then there are some people that just deserve a .45 cal. late term abortion...
Old June 30th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

As my wife's late father used to say, "They want what you've got."

... And if they can't have it, they figure you shouldn't either.

@^$holes.

- Eric
Old June 30th, 2012, 03:59 AM

I am so sorry to hear it. Just last month, my wife and I had to park our newer cars out in the street a s we had a contractor doing some work on our house and had his trailer in the driveway. Some Ahole keyed both of our cars down one side overnight. I am **** so had my wifes car repaired to the tune of $2000 but at least insurance covered it with only $100 deductible as it was non collision. However, I have to look at my scratch every day as it is a company car and they would not fix it. I really hope it was some teenage jerk and not an immature neighbor jealous that I was improving my house.

I feel your pain. It pisses me off so much that people do this stuff.
Old June 30th, 2012, 04:49 AM
1971 Cutlass S

Thanks for all the comments guys n gals -Now that I have calmed down a bit I can talk about it a little calmer. It actually looks like it was a kid who did it screwing around. Its confined to the quarter panel and looks like a bunch of random circles about a 6x6 area - like if you were scribbling circles on a piece of paper. I think if someone did it out of spite for me in particular they would have scratched more panels to cause more damage. My guess is some brat in the acme parking lot with their parent(s).

As far as insurance to cover it - that ain't gonna happen - as much as I dislike it - I have liability only on the car. I called about 20 different companies when I insured it two years ago, and none of them would give me full coverage as a daily driver putting 6-7000 miles a year on the car. Well Allstate said they would cover it for value, but for $1100 every six months - that's just crazy (if anyone knows an insurance company that will provide better coverage for a daily driver - please let me know)...I have paint that matches - gonna touch it up myself, and rub it out and hope it looks better until she gets a full paint job in a year or so. I can't imagine how I would have reacted had this been after she gets new paint. I have been saving up for another vehicle - that's now my priority - to keep this one in my garage and drive something else. I just love driving this car every day - it will be hard not to. I can't help but smile every time I get in it - but I know you all know that feeling.

Last edited by OldsManNJ; June 30th, 2012 at 05:05 AM.
Old June 30th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Cutlass Lover

So sorry to hear that. It really sucks. I won't leave Teepo in any parking lots un guarded. You just can't trust people. Hope it all works out for you.
Old June 30th, 2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by DeltaPace77
Was driving through a parking lot, when the car in front stopped and started backing into me. I hit the horn a few times, and guy jumped out sceaming at me "F" this "F" that, about a parking spot he passed up. Had no idea what was going on, and was drawing a crowd. Tell me this guy wasn't mentally ill.
I had something like that happen to me 5 years ago in an almost vacant lot. He ignored my horn, so I did a quick reverse and turn. I was about convinced it was an attempt at insurance fraud, thinking of accusing me of hitting him.

Originally Posted by sammy
You know , my Mom would always say if it is not yours, DO NOT TOUCH!!
It is common sense, but that is getting pretty rare nowdays...

Originally Posted by OldsManNJ
but for $1100 every six months - that's just crazy
You saved well over the cost of the repair by having liability only. YEs, I hope you are able to find a better rate to at least add comprehensive.

Its confined to the quarter panel and looks like a bunch of random circles about a 6x6 area - like if you were scribbling circles on a piece of paper.
Geez... That reminds me of a guy I worked with 15 years ago. Some dumb kids played tic tac toe with screwdrivers on the side of his car.
He said the worst part was that they didn't even finish the game!
Old June 30th, 2012, 08:13 AM
"me somebody" site member

Anyone remember Michael Fay, who along with his family had the audacity to try to gain sympathy about 20 years back for his caning punishment in Singapore? His crime was vandalizing cars. The lack of corporal punishment in this country is the answer to the question posed in this thread. Remove the fear of getting your "slats kicked in" (as my Dad used to put it) and that's what happens.
Old June 30th, 2012, 09:32 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Speaking of corporal punishment....I had someone blatantly flick a cigarette butt on my freshly painted hood because I took two parking spots in an un-crowded lot. I found this out because I watched the *** do it. I got arrested for kicking in his door on his rice burner & giving him a black eye & bloody nose! The hood rubbed out. I don’t think the Ahole will do this again. Was it worth getting cuffed and stuffed....you bet!
Old June 30th, 2012, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Speaking of corporal punishment....I had someone blatantly flick a cigarette butt on my freshly painted hood because I took two parking spots in an un-crowded lot. I found this out because I watched the *** do it. I got arrested for kicking in his door on his rice burner & giving him a black eye & bloody nose! The hood rubbed out. I don’t think the Ahole will do this again. Was it worth getting cuffed and stuffed....you bet!
Yea, think many here have been tempted to do what you did, but I try keeping a cooler head, as really not worth the legal hassle. Worst thing that happened, was somehow upset a weird old guy, that moved in the area, banging on my door. Went outside, and guy tried grabbed me, falling off the porch, breaking his arm. Just went back to bed, and never heard another thing about it. Dudes not tinkering around in his yard anymore though.
Old June 30th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
Now thats what I'm talkin about!!!!
Old June 30th, 2012, 12:25 PM

Location: Orion Township Michigan 30 Miles North of the Murder City
I know for a fact that was never a Mafia.But if there was a Mafia and I know for a fact there wasnt.I bet they would have been Car Guys ..And they wouldnt put up with all the problems we have today.Especially someone keying a car.
Old July 1st, 2012, 04:43 AM

That really sucks! Guys at work always ask me why I don't drive my car to work and I tell em cause no one respects anyone's car in the parking lot. In 09 I bought a 07 Honda ridge line ( I work at a Honda dealership) and within a month someone dinger the sh$t out the door and it's happened to numerous others as well.

People just don't have any respect for other people property,tota bull!
Old July 1st, 2012, 04:58 AM

Mafia

Originally Posted by rroth01
I know for a fact that was never a Mafia.But if there was a Mafia and I know for a fact there wasnt.I bet they would have been Car Guys ..And they wouldnt put up with all the problems we have today.Especially someone keying a car.
Never a Mafia? You've obviously never lived in New York,New Jersey,Rhoad Island or Connecticut.
Old July 1st, 2012, 05:06 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Stevec
Never a Mafia? You've obviously never lived in New York,New Jersey,Rhoad Island or Connecticut.
Actually, Steve, if you had lived there, you'd be familiar with the rhetorical construction.

Mafia? Never heard of it.

- Eric
Old July 1st, 2012, 05:17 AM

Lol I hear ya Eric......loud and clear!
Old July 1st, 2012, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobum
I usually assume its environmentalists... Its part of the crappy attitude that anything they dislike should be abolished. There are many things in the world that I dislike, as we all have certain things; but most sensible people understand its something you just have to live with. I personally don't drink, but I don't feel the need to punch out drunks as they leave the bar.

Then there are some people that just deserve a .45 cal. late term abortion...
Well, you needn't sugar coat it! Environmentalists? Really?
Old July 1st, 2012, 09:35 AM

Hi OldsManNJ, sorry about that. I do know the feeling , I had a just bought a new Sc400 Lexus back in 1998 for my wife and the first week we owned it someone keyed drivers side and the hood.We live in a small town and there is alot of jealousy! It was probably a volt owner!I really like only buying classic old cars now.
Old July 1st, 2012, 10:03 AM
NOVICE car nut

Yea , I know how you feel , someone damaged the roof on my 72 CS when I first bought it . I had to rip the liner out so I could pound the dents out . I got most of them out but will have to fill the other ones or something .
Old July 1st, 2012, 01:04 PM

I believe someone did that to your car out of jealousy. You've got a nice old car that others would love to have. I had a '79 Trans Am that was in beautiful shape and someone went up both sides of the car with either a nail or a key. The scratch went to the metal in some places. Either someone did it because they don't like me, or they're jealous of the car.
Old July 1st, 2012, 05:46 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys n gals -Now that I have calmed down a bit I can talk about it a little calmer. It actually looks like it was a kid who did it screwing around. Its confined to the quarter panel and looks like a bunch of random circles about a 6x6 area - like if you were scribbling circles on a piece of paper. I think if someone did it out of spite for me in particular they would have scratched more panels to cause more damage. My guess is some brat in the acme parking lot with their parent(s).

As far as insurance to cover it - that ain't gonna happen - as much as I dislike it - I have liability only on the car. I called about 20 different companies when I insured it two years ago, and none of them would give me full coverage as a daily driver putting 6-7000 miles a year on the car. Well Allstate said they would cover it for value, but for $1100 every six months - that's just crazy (if anyone knows an insurance company that will provide better coverage for a daily driver - please let me know)...I have paint that matches - gonna touch it up myself, and rub it out and hope it looks better until she gets a full paint job in a year or so. I can't imagine how I would have reacted had this been after she gets new paint. I have been saving up for another vehicle - that's now my priority - to keep this one in my garage and drive something else. I just love driving this car every day - it will be hard not to. I can't help but smile every time I get in it - but I know you all know that feeling.
I use American Modern Classic auto insurance through USAA Savings Bank. I pay $165 / year and am allowed 5,000 miles car is valued at $10K. I can add value to the car as improvements come and I can add miles if I need or want to. They're really reasonable...and have roadside assistance too. You ought to check them out.

Steve

Quick Reply: Why are people such gigantic jerks?!?!?!?